Where to bulk-download mailing list archives?

Jean-Philippe Ouellet

Nov 14, 2016, 1:21:56 AM11/14/16
to qubes-users
Does anyone know of a convenient place to grab the complete archives
of this list? (and qubes-devel too?)

With the (lets hope indeed temporary) death of gmane and its nntp
interface, I lost the only easy way I knew of to bulk-download the
entire history of arbitrary mailing lists for offline grepping.

I'd rather not write yet another one-off web crawler if I don't need to...

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Nov 14, 2016, 3:48:52 PM11/14/16
to Jean-Philippe Ouellet, qubes-users

Jean-Philippe Ouellet

May 26, 2017, 9:08:38 PM5/26/17
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes-users
On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 3:48 PM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
<marm...@invisiblethingslab.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 01:21:29AM -0500, Jean-Philippe Ouellet wrote:
>> Does anyone know of a convenient place to grab the complete archives
>> of this list? (and qubes-devel too?)
>>
>> With the (lets hope indeed temporary) death of gmane and its nntp
>> interface, I lost the only easy way I knew of to bulk-download the
>> entire history of arbitrary mailing lists for offline grepping.
>>
>> I'd rather not write yet another one-off web crawler if I don't need to...
>
> I don't know how to download it from google, but I know how to download
> it from my personal mailbox ;) This is what was uploaded to gmane.
>
> https://ftp.qubes-os.org/~marmarek/qubes-users.tar.gz
> https://ftp.qubes-os.org/~marmarek/qubes-devel.tar.gz
>
> Archives are from May. I can upload newer, but better find some service
> which would do that - some gmane alternative.

Gmane still appears mostly dead, with no indications of coming back soon.

Maybe MailMark? Not as nice as gmane was, but they have better search
and a friendlier interface than both google-groups and marc.info
(which currently archives qubes-users and qubes-devel).

They claim to accept requests for new lists:

from http://markmail.org/docs/faq.xqy#morelists:

from http://markmail.org/docs/feedback.xqy:
> Want us to host a new list? Let us know! It helps if you can give us the
> homepage for the list and/or the contact info to the administrator. Also,
> let us know if you know how we can find the historical archives.

Perhaps worthwhile?

Regards,
Jean-Philippe