Qubes and HiDPI

Marc de Bruin

Dec 1, 2016, 2:58:21 PM12/1/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Lo,

I got this new Dell XPS 15 9550 with a HiDPI screen (3840x2160). I’ve been trying to get it working the way I want: native resolution with readable text. Xfce provides a way to increase the system font to 192dpi; KDE has a scale factor to increase all fonts with a factor. Either way, the Qubes VM Manager doesn’t seem to scale it’s own “graphics” accordingly, is that correct? E.g., displaying the column with the IP-addresses results in it only displaying “10.137.”. The rest is cut of, because the width of the column doesn’t seem to get wide enough.

Is there a way to get around this? Doesn't the Qubes VM Manager “window” proportionally scale itself related to the occupied pixels of the text due to the font? Or am I missing something?

Greetz,
Marc.

Jean-Philippe Ouellet

Dec 1, 2016, 5:05:51 PM12/1/16
to Marc de Bruin, qubes-users
On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 2:58 PM, Marc de Bruin <marc.l....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Doesn't the Qubes VM Manager “window” proportionally scale itself related to the
> occupied pixels of the text due to the font? Or am I missing something?

Agh, unfortunately no. Some layout is hard-coded.

I wanted to fix it, but no time, and whole qubes manager is due to be
replaced anyway.

pixel fairy

Dec 1, 2016, 6:25:36 PM12/1/16
to qubes-users
On Thursday, December 1, 2016 at 2:58:21 PM UTC-5, Marc de Bruin wrote:

> Is there a way to get around this? Doesn't the Qubes VM Manager “window” proportionally scale itself related to the occupied pixels of the text due to the font? Or am I missing something?

Im missing something here, why not just set your screen res in dom0 to 1920x1080 or whatever you find comfortable?

i could see it useful for art or visualization. what other advantage would it have?

Jean-Philippe Ouellet

Dec 1, 2016, 9:19:40 PM12/1/16
to pixel fairy, qubes-users
On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 6:25 PM, pixel fairy <pixel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, December 1, 2016 at 2:58:21 PM UTC-5, Marc de Bruin wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to get around this? Doesn't the Qubes VM Manager “window” proportionally scale itself related to the occupied pixels of the text due to the font? Or am I missing something?
>>

> Im missing something here, why not just set your screen res in dom0 to 1920x1080 or whatever you find comfortable?

FWIW this is what I have done, and I don't mind it.

The not-quite-pixel-bound edges due to scaling are noticeable if you
are looking for them, but it doesn't bother me.

A positive effect of this is AppVMs have less pixels to render without
hardware acceleration, so lower resolutions are in some cases
noticeably more responsive.

Marc de Bruin

Dec 3, 2016, 9:12:08 AM12/3/16
to Jean-Philippe Ouellet, pixel fairy, qubes-users
Op 2 dec. 2016, om 03:19 heeft Jean-Philippe Ouellet <j...@vt.edu> het volgende geschreven:

> On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 6:25 PM, pixel fairy <pixel...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thursday, December 1, 2016 at 2:58:21 PM UTC-5, Marc de Bruin wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a way to get around this? Doesn't the Qubes VM Manager “window” proportionally scale itself related to the occupied pixels of the text due to the font? Or am I missing something?
>>>

>> Im missing something here, why not just set your screen res in dom0 to 1920x1080 or whatever you find comfortable?
>
> FWIW this is what I have done, and I don't mind it.

I will do the same, no problem. I just couldn’t believe it didn’t rescale proportionally. It is the first thing you learn when programming GUIs I guess? ;-) Nevermind. Qubes rulezzz. With what will it be replaced in Qubes 4?

Thanks,

Greetz,
Marc.

Jean-Philippe Ouellet

Dec 3, 2016, 5:06:34 PM12/3/16
to Marc de Bruin, pixel fairy, qubes-users
On Sat, Dec 3, 2016 at 9:12 AM, Marc de Bruin <marc.l....@gmail.com> wrote:
> With what will it be replaced in Qubes 4?

Assuming you mean qubes-manager, then...

Discussion here: https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2132

WIP code here: https://github.com/bnvk/qubes-manager-new

Some early screenshots here: https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1870

Achim Patzner

Dec 7, 2016, 9:31:52 AM12/7/16
to null
Am 02.12.2016 um 00:25 schrieb pixel fairy:
> Im missing something here,

Yes

> why not just set your screen res in dom0 to 1920x1080 or whatever you
> find comfortable?

Because it is looking much better and for people spending more than 12
hours using a computer this makes a difference.

> i could see it useful for art or visualization. what other advantage would it have?

Ask your ophtalmologist.

Achim