Qubes and Rust

rspei...@gmail.com

Nov 24, 2016, 3:44:58 PM11/24/16
to qubes-users
I would like to use Qubes for development work in Rust. I understand that Rust can eliminate many different sorts of memory related bugs. Would it be helpful to use in Qubes OS development for improving security? Are there any security concerns to prevent using Rust? For example, the Qubes GUI could be rewritten in rust... would that help security?

Jean-Philippe Ouellet

Nov 24, 2016, 6:06:39 PM11/24/16
to rspei...@gmail.com, qubes-users
On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 3:44 PM, <rspei...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to use Qubes for development work in Rust. I understand that Rust can eliminate many different sorts of memory related bugs. Would it be helpful to use in Qubes OS development for improving security? Are there any security concerns to prevent using Rust? For example, the Qubes GUI could be rewritten in rust... would that help security?

There are lots of issues here which are not within the class of coding
errors which Rust seeks to eliminate, but rather algorithm and
protocol-level issues and issues inherent to interfacing across VMs.
These problems are hard, and I am unconvinced that Rust makes them
easier to solve.

That said, an awesome part of open source is that you are free to just
go ahead and try, and if it turns out to be indeed superior, then it
could be integrated. Yay ecosystem diversity! :)