Listing all available templates in a given repo

Dan Krol

Nov 12, 2019, 5:39:21 PM11/12/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Caveat: I'm fairly new to Qubes and Fedora.

Question: How do I get a list of all available templates that I can install under each repository? (i.e. "current", "testing", "community" etc)

Motivation: I wanted to check whether Debian 10 is indeed still in "testing" as the docs currently state (https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/templates/debian/). If it's still in testing, I'll refrain from using it. If it's out of testing, I'd like to recommend updating the doc (or just make a PR myself).

What I've tried (for what it's worth):
* I can see my existing templates under `dnf list installed` in dom0. However, `dnf list available` comes up mysteriously empty.
* I eventually found this: https://ftp.qubes-os.org/repo/yum/r4.1/ It has versions of Debians 9 and 10 under "templates-itl-testing", but "templates-itl" is empty, so I don't know what's out of testing.
* I went ahead and installed debian-10 template without specifying the testing repo in hopes that it would stop me if it was testing-only. It ended up working, and during installation it said "qubes-templates-itl" under "Repo" instead of "qubes-templates-itl-testing", so I'm guessing it's out of testing, but I'd like confirmation.

Thank you!

-Dan

Chris Laprise

Nov 12, 2019, 7:19:36 PM11/12/19
to Dan Krol, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 11/12/19 5:38 PM, Dan Krol wrote:
> Hello,
>
> *Caveat:* I'm fairly new to Qubes and Fedora.
>
> *Question:* How do I get a list of all available templates that I can
> install under each repository? (i.e. "current", "testing", "community" etc)
>
> *Motivation:* I wanted to check whether Debian 10 is indeed still in
> "testing" as the docs currently state
> (https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/templates/debian/). If it's still in
> testing, I'll refrain from using it. If it's out of testing, I'd like to
> recommend updating the doc (or just make a PR myself).
>
> *What I've tried (for what it's worth):*
> * I can see my existing templates under `dnf list installed` in dom0.
> However, `dnf list available` comes up mysteriously empty.
> * I eventually found this: https://ftp.qubes-os.org/repo/yum/r4.1/ It
> has versions of Debians 9 and 10 under "templates-itl-testing", but
> "templates-itl" is empty, so I don't know what's out of testing.

That's because "r4.1/" is not yet released. You are probably using the
current Qubes release which is r4.0.1.

Debian templates are available as stable for current Qubes releases, as
has been the case for years (IIRC since Debian 7). Also note that Debian
templates are included with the Qubes installer.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket

Charles Peters

Nov 14, 2019, 5:31:33 PM11/14/19
to Dan Krol, qubes-users
On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 5:38 PM Dan Krol <orbl...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

Caveat: I'm fairly new to Qubes and Fedora.

Question: How do I get a list of all available templates that I can install under each repository? (i.e. "current", "testing", "community" etc)

I would also like to see a list of templates and other addons that could be shared by the community.  A couple of examples of what could be shared by community:
1. Debian, Fedora and possibly other distros templates for various use cases.
2. alpha or experimental - Qubes-based SecureDrop Journalist Workstation environment for submission handling   https://github.com/freedomofpress/securedrop-workstation
4. Backups to the local network unencrypted, or automated backups.

What would the community like to see documented?

What other tools, or website(s) can we build to provide gpg signed templates and addons?

Debian and Ubuntu provide packages.debian.org and packages.ubuntu.com of the various versions.  The information can also be obtained from command line tools, but the website is useful when looking for software and is built automatically from the repositories.  I haven't found anything similar for Fedora, does something like it exist?  It would be really cool to see qubes provide an automated site which shows the templates and the packages the template contains.

What I've tried (for what it's worth):
* I can see my existing templates under `dnf list installed` in dom0. However, `dnf list available` comes up mysteriously empty.

$ rpm -qa --queryformat '%{SIZE} %{NAME} \n'| grep template | sort -n
(none) qubes-template-bionic-desktop
(none) qubes-template-buster-gnome
(none) qubes-template-fedora-30
(none) qubes-template-fedora-30-xfce
1032734783 qubes-template-debian-10-minimal
1337344042 qubes-template-fedora-30-minimal
1588460952 qubes-template-whonix-gw-15
2176031506 qubes-template-whonix-ws-15
3099013352 qubes-template-bionic
3490724048 qubes-template-debian-10

I have been trying to determine why some templates show none...  And why I can't seem to see where the space is actually used by dom0, it seems to sym link to nothing.

Chuck

Dan Krol

Nov 27, 2019, 5:28:29 PM11/27/19
to Charles Peters, qubes-users
It looks as though the Debian 10 doc has been changed now, thanks. (perhaps by coincidence, perhaps from reading my previous message).

The rpm -qa command worked for me. I guess you have more repositories selected than I do, I only see the ones you listed with sizes. I don't have any of the "(none)" ones.

I think it would be helpful to have a more clear list of templates available per repo (either on a website like packages.ubuntu.com, or as a command you can run that is recommended in the docs), but for now this works out for what I need personally. Thanks.