HCL - HP G62 (submodel 318CA)

Theo Jaklitsch

Nov 13, 2017, 3:27:58 PM11/13/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Qubes 3.2 works far better than I ever expected it to on this machine.  Wireless networking and the USB Qube work fine right out the box.  Only seems to chug when starting up.  Sometime runs out of memory with more than 2 appVMs open.

Issues and potential issues:

- If you want to run Qubes (<4.0) on this get a fast 7mm SATA SSD, I went with the Samsung 850 Evo.  This laptop is painful for running even a single Linux distro on bare metal without one.
- Make sure you enable virtualisation technology in the BIOS before installing.

- S4 Sleep/Hibernate does not seem to work at all. All the options for it just blank the screen and put xScreenSaver up (doesn't even turn off backlight).  Not sure if this is Qubes in general or just on this setup.
- Screen backlight doesn't seem to want to turn off while the rest of the system is running. No matter what settings I fiddle with.

- This laptop comes with a tiny amount of ram so changing the sys-* qubes to minimal templates and lowering their starting ram is probably valuable.  Maybe make your own based on something really light like Alpine Linux or a unikernal.  (play with the resource settings in general)
Qubes-HCL-Hewlett_Packard-HP_G62_Notebook_PC-20171113-075518.yml