How do I install and configure a template vm in Qubes 4?

Ahmed Al Aqtash

Jan 4, 2018, 5:41:04 AM1/4/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello all!

I have recently installed Qubes 4 RC3 (I used Qubes 3.2, but when I switched laptops the installer was outdated, and I was forced to use something else..)

In 3.2 you could allow network access in a template rather easily through the GUI, and thus be able to pull software from other destinations than just repos.

In 4 however, I cannot allow access to my template vm, thus preventing me from, e.g. pulling my config files from github to my template, installing other software from github or otherwise configuring and pulling software from where ever I like.

So my question is basically:
Is it possible to open the template more up temporarily like in Qubes 3.2 so that I can install and customise the template however I like and how?

OR

Are we forced to use Qubes in a more 'standalone' manner, meaning that we should use standalone vm's more than templates now?

I am sorry if this has already been cleared somewhere, I was unable to find anything related to this.

Thanks in advance for any answers!
I think I am most of all just puzzled.

Regards!

Tom Zander

Jan 4, 2018, 9:02:35 AM1/4/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, Ahmed Al Aqtash
On Thursday, 4 January 2018 10:40:56 GMT 'Ahmed Al Aqtash' via qubes-users
wrote:
> In 3.2 you could allow network access in a template rather easily through
> the GUI, and thus be able to pull software from other destinations than
> just repos.

The same functionality is present in Qubes4, just not via a GUI.

open a terminal in dom0 (adminvm) and type;

qvm-prefs -s YOURVMNAME netvm sys-firewall

When you are done downloading consider unsetting the netvm with;
qvm-prefs -s YOURVMNAME netvm ""

I'll add the warning that you should be careful what you do in a TemplateVM,
anything you run or download has sudo and can install or change data which
then will cause all your VMs based on this template to be contaminated.
Be safe.

--
Tom Zander
Blog: https://zander.github.io

a...@it-minds.dk

Jan 4, 2018, 9:13:53 AM1/4/18
to qubes-users
> The same functionality is present in Qubes4, just not via a GUI.
>
> open a terminal in dom0 (adminvm) and type;
>
> qvm-prefs -s YOURVMNAME netvm sys-firewall
>
> When you are done downloading consider unsetting the netvm with;
> qvm-prefs -s YOURVMNAME netvm ""

I thought so, I just can't seem to find any information anywhere. I might just be stupid, or not looking closely enough.

I can see I need to read the documentation more carefully too, and look into all the new tools.

Thanks a bunch!

> I'll add the warning that you should be careful what you do in a TemplateVM,
> anything you run or download has sudo and can install or change data which
> then will cause all your VMs based on this template to be contaminated.
> Be safe.

Yeah, I know. I am only installing open source stuff, and things I actually trust. It is primarily for my template for private usage. I wouldn't install weird stuff in there :)

Again thanks!