HCL - 20H2S00700

Vincent Wiemann

Feb 14, 2017, 6:03:53 AM2/14/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
This device is an i7 Lenovo E470.
Intel graphics card needs newer kernel (from unstable repo)...
GeForce graphics not supported by noveau, yet. Official NVIDIA driver
fails with memory allocation error under Xen; see also
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/691565/linux/geforce-driver-problem-on-centos-6-4-with-xen-installed
(even with IGNORE_XEN_PRESENCE-flag set etc.)
Installation only possible with VNC as text installation mode doesn't
prompt for encryption password.
Sleep mode sometimes freezes the device.

Qubes-HCL-LENOVO-20H2S00700-20170214-113042.yml

Mike Keehan

Feb 23, 2017, 6:35:29 AM2/23/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 12:03:45 +0100
Vincent Wiemann <vincent...@ironai.com> wrote:

> Installation only possible with VNC as text installation mode doesn't
> prompt for encryption password.
> Sleep mode sometimes freezes the device.

Hi Vincent,

How did you use VNC for the installation? Web searching has not
helped me find out anything about it.

Regards,

Mike.

Mike Keehan

Feb 23, 2017, 6:40:19 AM2/23/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Argh, just found Installing Through VNC for Fedora!
Thanks anyway.

Mike.

reuben...@gmail.com

May 2, 2017, 11:39:31 PM5/2/17
to qubes-users, mi...@keehan.net

Can you explain how you got VNC to work? I can get it started, but networking is not working by default so I can't connect to it. Do you know how to start networking with ethernet?

Mike Keehan

May 4, 2017, 5:24:18 PM5/4/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 2 May 2017 20:39:31 -0700 (PDT)
reuben...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Thursday, February 23, 2017 at 5:40:19 AM UTC-6, Mike Keehan wrote:
> > On Thu, 23 Feb 2017 11:35:26 +0000
> > Mike Keehan <mi...@keehan.net> wrote:
> >
> [...]
> [...]
> [...]
> [...]
> [...]
> >
> > Argh, just found Installing Through VNC for Fedora!
> > Thanks anyway.
> >
> > Mike.
>
> Can you explain how you got VNC to work? I can get it started, but
> networking is not working by default so I can't connect to it. Do you
> know how to start networking with ethernet?

Ah, sorry I can't. I didn't use vnc in the end, as I found that
the Qubes installation gui worked OK if I booted the usb stick
in UEFI mode instead of legacy.

Mike.

sha-265

Aug 5, 2017, 2:33:43 PM8/5/17
to qubes-users, vincent...@ironai.com

How can I install Qubes with VNC?

Vincent Wiemann

Aug 12, 2017, 9:53:58 AM8/12/17
to sha-265, qubes-users
> How can I install Qubes with VNC?

1. Append nomodeset ip=dhcp inst.nokill inst.vnc to the kernel command
line. Remove rhgb and quiet to see the kernel messages scroll by, which
may help in further diagnostics.
If DHCP is not available on the installation network, the syntax becomes
a bit more involved. The full list of variants is documented in the
[Dracut Command-line parameters]
(http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man7/dracut.cmdline.7.html)
2. The VGA console should switch into the installer’s
multi-virtual-terminal display. VNC may take a number of minutes to
start, please be patient.
3. Using the anaconda installer interface, switch to the “shell” TTY
(ALT-F2), and use "ip a" command to display the IP addresses. (On my
keyboard it was some other key combination which I don't remember)
Connect to the IP (remember the :1) using a VNC viewer.
Follow the installation UI.

As the current kernel does not support your graphics card, you need a
newer kernel for dom0. I think this one should work:
http://ftp.qubes-os.org/repo/yum/r4.0/current-testing/dom0/fc25/rpm/kernel-4.9.35-19.pvops.qubes.x86_64.rpm
So after installation put it e.g. on a USB-stick (which can be dangerous
as it could be compromised) and install it in dom0 with "dnf install".
Afterwards your graphics card should work if it is supported by the new
kernel.