Anon-whonix browser fails to connect to tor in Qubes 3.2, any ideas?

code9n

Jan 27, 2018, 6:46:01 AM1/27/18
to qubes-users
Running the WhonixCheck from the default anon-whonix app vm in the Qubes manager list; the fail warning basically says:

SocksPort test [fails]. ... (curl exit code: [7] - [failed to connect to host])

The browser - anon-whonix app vm (default)/Tor browser - opens like normal to the Whonix page but checking the 'check IP' link from there won't connect and if I search for https://check.torproject.org the top result says I'm not using tor. I can't connect to .onion sites but surface browsing's fine.

Checking the IP address keeps coming back to the same one in Germany even if I reload / change Identity / reboot. (I'm not in Germany).

It persists over cold re-boots.
I've tried making a new anon-whonix app vm with the same results.
Everything has been fine since install - maybe 6 months ago.
All updates are up to date including the recent tor browser update to 7.5 (64 bit).

yzxd on the sub reddit (Thanks, yzxd) had a similar problem on non-Qubes Whonix and solved it by "going into the Gateway VM, stopping Tor, opening the folder named "Tor Data" and deleting all the files inside, and finally restarting Tor".

But I see from issue #1137 the Qubes team deliberately made that persistent:

https://github.com/Whonix/qubes-whonix/commit/a9f24f5d0b700a0cd710e52eb170875d635c22a9

so I'm wary to mess with that.

Would that be likely to work in this instance? Or Does anyone have any ideas for a fix or would just re-installing the entire Whonix
system following:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/whonix/install/

be better...?

Thanks,

awokd

Jan 27, 2018, 8:49:58 AM1/27/18
to code9n, qubes-users
On Sat, January 27, 2018 11:46 am, code9n wrote:
> Running the WhonixCheck from the default anon-whonix app vm in the Qubes
> manager list; the fail warning basically says:
>
> SocksPort test [fails]. ... (curl exit code: [7] - [failed to connect to
> host])
>
> The browser - anon-whonix app vm (default)/Tor browser - opens like
> normal to the Whonix page but checking the 'check IP' link from there
> won't connect and if I search for https://check.torproject.org the top
> result says I'm not using tor. I can't connect to .onion sites but
> surface browsing's fine.
>
> Checking the IP address keeps coming back to the same one in Germany even
> if I reload / change Identity / reboot. (I'm not in Germany).
>
> It persists over cold re-boots.
> I've tried making a new anon-whonix app vm with the same results.
> Everything has been fine since install - maybe 6 months ago.
> All updates are up to date including the recent tor browser update to 7.5
> (64 bit).

In Qubes Manager/System/Global settings, make sure your Default netVM is
set to sys-whonix.

I can't explain the Germany IP though. Do you have a VPN or ProxyVM set up
somewhere in the mix?

> yzxd on the sub reddit (Thanks, yzxd) had a similar problem on non-Qubes
> Whonix and solved it by "going into the Gateway VM, stopping Tor, opening
> the folder named "Tor Data" and deleting all the files inside, and
> finally restarting Tor".
>
> But I see from issue #1137 the Qubes team deliberately made that
> persistent:
>

> https://github.com/Whonix/qubes-whonix/commit/a9f24f5d0b700a0cd710e52eb17
> 0875d635c22a9
>

> so I'm wary to mess with that.
>
> Would that be likely to work in this instance? Or Does anyone have any
> ideas for a fix or would just re-installing the entire Whonix system
> following:
>

> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/whonix/install/
>

> be better...?

Re-installing the whole Whonix system or even Qubes might be the best
approach if you can't figure out where that Germany IP is coming from.

code9n

Jan 27, 2018, 10:35:37 AM1/27/18
to qubes-users
Yeh, the anon-whonix app vm is routed through sys-whonix properly. I haven't changed that from default.
I do route most non-whonix app vms through a vpn in a proxy vm but that all works as it should.
Both systems have worked independently and as expected for months.

Checking today some IP address checks in the anon-whonix app vm do come out in places other than Germany but they're not my vpn's servers, or my ISP's.
It's like tor is mostly working but not fully.

I'll leave this help request here and see if there are any more suggestions but if I have to I'll try deleting the var/lib/tor file contents - the tor data file mentioned above - and if it doesn't work try re-installing all the whonix stuff.

Thanks.

Xaver

Jan 27, 2018, 7:29:56 PM1/27/18
to code9n, Google groups Qubes-users

I would ask on the Whonix Forum. https://forums.whonix.org/

code9n

Jan 28, 2018, 2:36:34 AM1/28/18
to qubes-users
Solved.
Not sure if it was relevant but since the most recent Whonix updates this has gone back to normal.

Thanks to all.