Xfburn not seeing usb

Shawn Creighton

Nov 24, 2020, 2:26:14 PM11/24/20
to qubes-users
Trying to create a bootable usb, installed Xfburn and connected the usb to the AppVM but when I open Xfburn as root it doesn't see the usb and says:

"no burners currently available, possibly the discs are in use and cannot get accessed"

Also tried installing Brasero which won't burn to usb

Steve Coleman

Nov 24, 2020, 4:43:12 PM11/24/20
to Shawn Creighton, qubes-users
You may need to run the software in the VM which contains the physical hardware (e.g. the USB controller}. Passing a memory device generally works but when you need special access to the physical hardware such as burning a DVD then this pass-through method may not work correctly.

If your USB controller is in sys-usb then running Xfburn or Brasero there is the best option. If not, and you have several USB controllers, you might want to investigate creating a sys-usb for that purpose. Otherwise then you may need to decide if you want to install a DvD burning package directly in dom0, which generally should be avoided if possible.

Steve

Shawn Creighton

Nov 24, 2020, 5:37:56 PM11/24/20
to qubes-users
I installed gnome-disk-utility and it sees the usb so I was able to format it, but when I try to flash it the .iso I downloaded is grayed out. Any way to make that accessible?

I don't have a sys-usb, just sys-net and sys-firewall. I tried running sudo qubesctl state.sls qvm.sys-usb but it didn't work, output says something like:

the following requisites were not found:
require:
sls: qvm.sys-net