R4.0 testing: Widget shows spinners / Kill for running VMs

Chris Laprise

Mar 7, 2018, 8:01:28 PM3/7/18
to qubes-users
Having just upgraded dom0 with qubes*testing, I noticed that nearly all
of my running VMs are being displayed by the 'Q' widget as if they were
in a pre-started or pre-halted state. The spinner icon is spinning
beside each of them, and the menus are populated with *Log and Kill
options, not shutdown.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket

799

Mar 7, 2018, 9:32:43 PM3/7/18
to Chris Laprise, qubes-users
Hello,

Am 08.03.2018 2:01 vorm. schrieb "Chris Laprise" <tas...@posteo.net>:
Having just upgraded dom0 with qubes*testing, I noticed that nearly all of my running VMs are being displayed by the 'Q' widget as if they were in a pre-started or pre-halted state.

Wouldn't it makes sense to create one GitHub page for each new release, where users can provide a quick feedback when there testing the new release.
I know it is also possible to raise an issue but it takes more time and is not that convenient for users to look at and the list of open topics could be placed on the Qubes Website, so that a user has a single go-to-place to find out if he wants to take the chance testing out the new release.

I am currently reading all posts to make a decision, should I upgrade yet?
Having a bullet point list on a GitHub page would be nice, maybe later referencing to the issue-tracker and deleted as soon the problem is fixed?
Could also be maintained by the community with a disclaimer (Warning: blaba..)

[799]

Chris Laprise

Mar 7, 2018, 9:53:48 PM3/7/18
to 799, qubes-users
On 03/07/2018 09:32 PM, 799 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Am 08.03.2018 2:01 vorm. schrieb "Chris Laprise" <tas...@posteo.net
> <mailto:tas...@posteo.net>>:
I'm using the testing repo, not the regular rc5 release. I don't think
this would impact you if you upgraded to rc5.

Yuraeitha

Mar 7, 2018, 10:24:16 PM3/7/18
to qubes-users

Same experience as this? https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3660
It's from RC-3 to RC-5, maybe as you suggested a pure RC-5 re-install doesn't have this issue? Albeit this particular bug seems to be a visual issue, did you find anything else bugging?

Chris Laprise

Mar 7, 2018, 10:42:55 PM3/7/18
to Yuraeitha, qubes-users
Thanks for the link. That appears to be it.

Its a bit more than visual, since my menus choices are adversely
affected (i.e. I should have 'Shutdown' available). Maybe this is the
kick I need to adapt my keyboard shortcut VM shutdown script.

Yuraeitha

Mar 8, 2018, 3:34:49 AM3/8/18
to qubes-users

Good point, that appears to work. I can shutdown with either "qvm-shutdown" in dom0 or "shutdown -h now" in the AppVM. This is a bit off-topic, but it shows an interesting perspective though, that it takes a while to shutdown when done from within the AppVM. I noticed the same on standalone VM's, such as windows. It could be problematic if Windows is shutdown via the widget and it shutsdown prematurely, which it seems like it might do after updates? But VM's like Windows are not made to handle that? Updates don't process unless shutdown via the windows own shutdown commands and give it some patience, by the looks of it. It's had me a bit puzzled. But anyway, didn't want to venture off-topic here, it just reminded me of this puzzling system VM shutdown behavior that I haven't figured out yet.