running application without packages ?

john s.

Mar 29, 2019, 8:32:07 PM3/29/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
So, if I have a .tar.gz which I unzip and inside there is a executable.

there is nothing to install in a template, and when I close the AppVM
that contains the executable, should I expect that when I open that
AppVM again,

that I should still be able to use the executable?

or is Qubes designed so that only executables installed in the Templates
should persist to be executable

and hence, if there is no package, then I can't use the software except
temporarily....

--
A895 0C7C A244 8E2E FD77 A3DB 180B 7D4D D158 F8B6

unman

Mar 29, 2019, 10:04:41 PM3/29/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Mar 30, 2019 at 12:31:56AM +0000, john s. wrote:
> So, if I have a .tar.gz which I unzip and inside there is a executable.
>
> there is nothing to install in a template, and when I close the AppVM that
> contains the executable, should I expect that when I open that AppVM again,
>
> that I should still be able to use the executable?

Yes

> or is Qubes designed so that only executables installed in the Templates
> should persist to be executable

No

> and hence, if there is no package, then I can't use the software except
> temporarily....

This depends where you put the executable.
/home/user is persistent in a Templatebased qube, so an executable there
will be fine.
/usr/local is persistent in a Templatebased qube, so an executable
placed in bin there will be fine (It's actually at /rw/usrlocal )

Other directories like /bin /sbin are template based and will not
persist. If you put the executable there it will not persist. (Unless
you use bind-dirs, but what's the point for a single executable when
there are valid sensible alternatives.