Qube manager has unexpectedly stopped working

rumsey....@gmail.com

Aug 13, 2018, 1:26:20 PM8/13/18
to qubes-users
Have had Qubes 4 running smoothly until just now.

Upon startup Qube Manager no longer loads, and when I try to start it from the menu I get an error:

"QubesDaemonCommunicationError: Failed to connect to qubesd service: [Errno 2] No such file or directory at line 9 of file /usr/bin/qubes-qube-manager."

This has proven to be out of my league in terms of being able to troubleshoot, so I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for a fix so that I don't have to wipe everything and start over on this machine.

It may be relevant that just prior to this happening I had a warning pop up that had something to do with low memory in something that was called "LVM thin pool" or something similar to that.

Thanks to anyone with suggestions!

awokd

Aug 13, 2018, 2:28:22 PM8/13/18
to rumsey....@gmail.com, qubes-users
Do not reboot. Backup everything immediately. It is bad if your thin pool
is running low, and may have caused the issue. Once that's done, it's
probably safest to reinstall...

rumsey....@gmail.com

Aug 13, 2018, 3:07:02 PM8/13/18
to qubes-users
On Monday, August 13, 2018 at 6:28:22 PM UTC, awokd wrote:

> Do not reboot. Backup everything immediately. It is bad if your thin pool
> is running low, and may have caused the issue. Once that's done, it's
> probably safest to reinstall...

Too late not to reboot. No lost information though, so that won't be a problem. Just was hoping to save the time required for a reinstall.

Thanks for the info. I'll just go ahead and reinstall.

Can you tell me what I did or how to avoid this issue with the thin pool in the future? Was I just taxing my system resources too heavily? I'll have to look into it because I don't really even know what the thin pool is.

Thanks

Chris Laprise

Aug 13, 2018, 4:17:33 PM8/13/18
to rumsey....@gmail.com, qubes-users
Unfortunately Qubes does not have very clear warnings or preventative
measures to avoid out-of-space problems; this may be addressed in R4.1.
For now its good to keep an eye on your disk space meter.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket