How to play videos in qubes? says needs codec H.264, Mpeg-4 something

jer...@disroot.org

Jan 16, 2018, 12:40:16 PM1/16/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
i can't install this codec from fedora 26 from software add ons.. also i've tried doing yum search h.264, there's nothing that seems like this codec..

haaber

Jan 16, 2018, 1:57:06 PM1/16/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I think, most easy is to use a debian instead of a fedora template and
to install vlc or mplayer that ships with its codecs. Best, Bernhard

Steve Coleman

Jan 16, 2018, 2:05:39 PM1/16/18
to jer...@disroot.org, qubes...@googlegroups.com

You may need to enable your /etc/yum.repos.d/rpmfusion-*.repos and
search for it there.

Here is what I get:

> sudo dnf search h.264
Last metadata expiration check: 5:27:04 ago on Tue 16 Jan 2018 08:35:58
AM EST.
========================================================= Description
Matched: h.264 ==========================================================
xpra-codecs-freeworld.x86_64 : Additional codecs for xpra using x264 and
ffmpeg
libcrystalhd.i686 : Broadcom Crystal HD device interface library
libcrystalhd.x86_64 : Broadcom Crystal HD device interface library
h264enc.noarch : An interactive menu-driven frontend for mencoder
texlive-media9.noarch : Multimedia inclusion package with Adobe
Reader-9/X compatibility
nvenc-devel.noarch : Header for nvEncode API
mediainfo-gui.x86_64 : Supplies technical and tag information about a
video or audio file (GUI)
mediainfo-qt.x86_64 : Supplies technical and tag information about a
video or audio file (Qt GUI)
mediainfo.x86_64 : Supplies technical and tag information about a video
or audio file (CLI)
libmediainfo.i686 : Library for supplies technical and tag information
about a video or audio file
libmediainfo.x86_64 : Library for supplies technical and tag information
about a video or audio file

On 01/16/2018 11:50 AM, jer...@disroot.org wrote:
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/0fceeb06479346b8c2dbdf67ea572f59%40disroot.org
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/0fceeb06479346b8c2dbdf67ea572f59%40disroot.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

[799]

Jan 16, 2018, 2:53:54 PM1/16/18
to jer...@disroot.org, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jerry,

What are you trying to accomplish?
I have a complete How-to which you can just follow per copy & paste to get a multimedia AppVM which is based on Debian-8 and can be used to listen to Spotify, watch DVD and use Amazon Prime or Spotify.
If you are interested I can send you the installation script.

[799]

Tim W

Jan 17, 2018, 5:05:07 AM1/17/18
to qubes-users

why not post up the how to as I think many would find it beneficial with so many new users.

Steve Coleman

Jan 17, 2018, 11:55:13 AM1/17/18
to jer...@disroot.org, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Use DNF to look for ffmpeg, and install that, if it is not already.
Likely it is not installed.

After that, if it still does not play, then start by telling us what app
you are using to play the video. There are usually plugins that connect
an app to the otherwise encumbered/licensed/patented algorithms, which
is the bane of free and open software. The plugin architecture allows a
separation of the encumbered parts from that of the software application
core.

cooloutac

Jan 17, 2018, 12:59:31 PM1/17/18
to qubes-users
On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 12:40:16 PM UTC-5, jer...@disroot.org wrote:
> i can't install this codec from fedora 26 from software add ons.. also i've tried doing yum search h.264, there's nothing that seems like this codec..

Its been a while, but I think its gstreamer1-libav. Like another poster said it might be just easier to use debian instead.

Sergio Matta

Jan 17, 2018, 5:38:28 PM1/17/18
to qubes-users

I choose fusion to complete my appvm template. First I did a clone of the original template: qvm-clone fedora-25 vm-fedora
Then I start a terminal on vm-fedora and install all this:
sudo dnf config-manager --set-enabled rpmfusion-free rpmfusion-nonfree

sudo dnf install amrnb amrwb faad2 flac ffmpeg gpac-libs lame libfc14audiodecoder mencoder mplayer x264 x265 gstreamer-plugins-espeak gstreamer-plugins-fc gstreamer-rtsp gstreamer-plugins-good gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-plugins-bad-free-extras gstreamer-plugins-bad-nonfree gstreamer-plugins-ugly gstreamer-ffmpeg gstreamer1-plugins-base gstreamer1-libav gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free-extras gstreamer1-plugins-bad-freeworld gstreamer1-plugins-base-tools gstreamer1-plugins-good-extras gstreamer1-plugins-ugly gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free gstreamer1-plugins-good

Then, I change the personal template to vm-fedora. And finally I open the menu "VM-Fedora: VM Settings" and at the Application tab I refresh the applications.

[799]

Jan 18, 2018, 12:29:26 PM1/18/18
to timw...@gmail.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com
-------- Tim W wrote:
>> [799] wrote

>> I have a complete How-to which you can just
>> follow per copy & paste to get a multimedia
>> AppVM which is based on Debian-8 and can
>> be used to listen to Spotify, watch DVD and
>> use Amazon Prime or Spotify.
>> If you are interested I can send you the
>> installation script.

> why not post up the how to as I think many
> would find it beneficial with so many new
> users.

Actually I started to write a how-to for Qubes, but I found it hard to understand how to add new content to the Qubes site using GITHUB.
I've read the Qubes Docu Howto located here:
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/doc-guidelines/
I was able to add a new page but it seems that it takes a long time until a push request make it back to the Qubes Doc repository, which feels kind a frustrating, as such I decided to create my own how-to repository.

[799]

Here is my procedure how to create a multimedia AppVM based on a Debian template.

# Firewall needs to be open to access Internet and DNS as we need to install additional packages on the multimedia-template VM.

# Based on the default Qubes OS Debian-8 template

# Clone template
qvm-clone debian-8 my-debian-8

# Setup networking for the new template as we need to download some files
qvm-prefs -s my-debian-8 netvm my-sys-firewall

# Launch new template
qvm-start my-debian-8

# Edit Firewall Rules in the VM
# [X] Allow network access except...
# [X] Allow DNS queries

# Launch Terminal in the newly started VM template
qvm-run my-debian-8 gnome-terminal

# Become root
su -

### Installation Spotify
apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys BBEBDCB318AD50EC6865090613B00F1FD2C19886
# TODO where to find the GPG Fingerprint for Spotify??
# Public-Key: http://keyserver.ubuntu.com/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xD2C19886&fingerprint=on
# Fingerprint: BBEB DCB3 18AD 50EC 6865 0906 13B0 0F1F D2C1 9886
echo deb http://repository.spotify.com stable non-free | tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list
apt-get update
apt-get install -y spotify-client
# Create a spotify desktop-entry
cp -p /usr/share/spotify/spotify.desktop /usr/share/applications/
cp /usr/share/spotify/icons/spotify-linux-16.png /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/spotify.png

### Installation VLC
# Add Repository for libdvdcss
# http://www.videolan.org/developers/libdvdcss.html
# TODO where to find the GPG Fingerprint for VLC??
# Public-Key: http://keyserver.ubuntu.com/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xB84288D9&fingerprint=on
# Fingerprint: 8F08 45FE 77B1 6294 429A 7934 6BCA 5E4D B842 88D9
apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 8F0845FE77B16294429A79346BCA5E4DB84288D9
echo "deb http://download.videolan.org/pub/debian/stable/ /" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
echo "deb-src http://download.videolan.org/pub/debian/stable/ /" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
apt-get update
apt-get install -y libdvdcss2
apt-get install -y vlc

### Installation Google Chrome
# Howto verify the debian repository?
# https://www.google.com/linuxrepositories/
wget -c https://dl.google.com/linux/direct/google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb
# better option instead of using wget?
# Try to install Google Chrome
dpkg -i google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb
# Install dependencies for Google Chrome (if not installation will fail)
# This will install: fonts-liberation libappindicator1 libdbusmenu-glib4 libdbusmenu-gtk4 libindicator7 libxss1
apt-get -f upgrade
# Install Google Chrome
dpkg -i google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb
rm google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb

# Shutdown template
qvm-shutdown my-debian-8

# Create a new App-VM from this new Debian 8 template
qvm-create --template=my-debian-8 --label=orange --mem=512 --vcpus=2 multimedia
qvm-prefs -s multimedia netvm sys-firewall

# Add Google Chrome, VLC and Spotify to the AppVM Menu via "add/remove app shortcuts"

Steve Coleman

Jan 18, 2018, 12:33:56 PM1/18/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 01/18/2018 11:12 AM, jer...@disroot.org wrote:
> i installed kmplayer, still says need some additional codecs, refers me to the software program, finds gsstreamer multimedia codecs - H.264 , when i click install on this plugin it says enable third-party software source? gsstreamer multiemedia codecs -H.264 provided by fedora. this software source must be enabled to continue installation, and has an option enable and install
>
> how do i enable it?

1) you can use the "dnf --enablerepo [reponame]" argument to temporarily
enable a specific repo during the install command, but that may not get
you any updates later since that is one time only command.

2) You can also edit the repo file
/etc/yum.repos.d/rpmfusion-[non]free[*].repo and change the "enabled=0"
to "enabled=1" for the appropriate url you want. Once you do this you
will be given the updates if the "*-update" repo is left enabled. You
will have to be more careful in the future not to install other things
that you may not want to trust in the future.

The repo's files in fedora are found here:
[~]$ ls -1 /etc/yum.repos.d/rpmfusion-*free*.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/rpmfusion-free.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/rpmfusion-free-updates.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/rpmfusion-free-updates-testing.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/rpmfusion-nonfree.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/rpmfusion-nonfree-updates.repo

After doing the above edits you can do:
"sudo dnf search gstreamer[1]-plugins-[good|bad|ugly|*] "
and get a list of plugins in each category. These categories generally
refer to licensing or patent encumbered code issues.

Unfortunately the string "h.264" isn't found in the description
anywhere, and I don't remember which one it was in. You may find your
answer here:
https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/documentation/plugins.html