Is anybody using Mullvad as their VPN?

bill...@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2018, 8:22:00 AM4/9/18
to qubes-users
So, I recently installed R4 on my laptop and things seem to be going smoothly. I'm ready to get my VPN working.

I use mullvad, and I'm having trouble connecting the instructions in the documentation with how mullvad works -- as least as far as using the GUI. Before I screw something up, I was hoping that someone else is using Mullvad and can point out a flaw in my plan to:

1) Turn on the debian template
2) Install mullvad
3) Run mullvad

I'm going to assume (naively, I suppose), that that's all there is to it. I've never tried to do anything with mullvad from the command line. If I have to, can anybody point me to some documentation on what I should do?

If it works, then...

1) If I open up a vm based on the fedora template, I assume that the VPN will still be in force for it as well.
2) I assume I have to keep the debian template running, else mullvad will quit, right?
3) Can I open and run mullvad in a debian vm that is not the template? Should I do that instead of turning on the template vm?

Thanks!

billo

Chris Laprise

Apr 9, 2018, 10:58:28 AM4/9/18
to bill...@gmail.com, qubes-users
On 04/09/2018 08:22 AM, bill...@gmail.com wrote:
> So, I recently installed R4 on my laptop and things seem to be going smoothly. I'm ready to get my VPN working.
>
> I use mullvad, and I'm having trouble connecting the instructions in the documentation with how mullvad works -- as least as far as using the GUI. Before I screw something up, I was hoping that someone else is using Mullvad and can point out a flaw in my plan to:
>
> 1) Turn on the debian template
> 2) Install mullvad
> 3) Run mullvad
>
> I'm going to assume (naively, I suppose), that that's all there is to it. I've never tried to do anything with mullvad from the command line. If I have to, can anybody point me to some documentation on what I should do?

That's not quite all there is to it. :)

You may not have seen Mullvad's guide for Qubes:

https://mullvad.net/en/guides/qubes-os-and-mullvad-vpn/

Unfortunately their firewall script for Qubes has issues; for one, it
would be better to just remove everything that uses $virtualif and don't
bother trying to manually match an IP address to it. Otherwise, your DNS
requests could fail or get sent elsewhere (beyond Mullvad).

Another problem is they have you dedicate a standalone VM to the VPN,
which wastes space and requires separate updates.

-

Since their software looks like its openvpn with a GUI on top, I'd
suggest trying to configure openvpn for Qubes with this tool instead:

https://github.com/tasket/Qubes-vpn-support

It sets up a Qubes-specific openvpn service and correctly configures the
firewall to forward DNS and prevent leaks. I suggest installing it into
a proxy VM (on Qubes 4.0 that's an appVM with "provides network" selected).

The only missing ingredient you'll need to supply is mullvad's set of
openvpn config files. These can be downloaded here:

https://mullvad.net/en/download/config/

The downloaded file can be unzipped in the proxyVM and the resulting
files moved to the /rw/config/vpn folder.

For the username/password, you can copy their file to the one
Qubes-vpn-support expects:

sudo cp mullvad_userpass.txt userpassword.txt

-

> If it works, then...
>

> 1) If I open up a vm based on the fedora template, I assume that the VPN will still be in force for it as well.

You can connect VMs running any type of OS to a proxyVM.

> 2) I assume I have to keep the debian template running, else mullvad will quit, right?

If you use Qubes-vpn-support, its not an issue since you can use the
regular Debian template.

> 3) Can I open and run mullvad in a debian vm that is not the template? Should I do that instead of turning on the template vm?
Using their software/instructions its not practical for normal Qubes use
since most network apps (browsers, email, etc) are run from
template-based appVMs. You would have to keep re-installing their
program each time you started an appVM you wished to use over the VPN.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket

bill...@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2018, 2:21:23 PM4/9/18
to qubes-users
Looks like I have a couple of hours of fun ahead. Thanks for the pointer. Since it will be that much effort, I probably won't get to it for a couple of days so I have a block of time to devote to it, but I'll report back and see if it works.

Thanks for the reply!

vigilian...@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2018, 2:38:28 PM4/9/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Yes I am whu?

Apr 9, 2018, 2:50:34 PM4/9/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I didn't follow the original conversation sorry guys to have answer it so late.
So To me it hasn't been a problem but as you said, I've made special vm for the different vpn I used.... ISn't that the recommended thing to anyway?
What exactly did you do actually? Because I don’t really understand. For me it works naturally.