ubuntu template qubes 4.0

Damien Waber

May 30, 2020, 3:06:16 PM5/30/20
to qubes-users
Hi,

I tried to build an ubuntu template since it is required for one of my courses. I followed several tutorials / posts on the internet but all failed. Could anyone help me?

I run the ./setup tool and choose following options :
- Add key 0x368.. : Yes
- Add key 0x42C.. : Yes
- Qubes Release 4.0
- Stable : Default Repo
- Git Clone Faster: Yes
- Choose Pre-built packages repo : None
- Build Template only : Yes
- bionic+desktop
- builder-debian
- Get Sources : Yes

- make qubes-vm ->
[...]
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/user/qubes-src/app-linux-pdf-converter'
echo "pythonver:Depends=python" >> debian/qubes.pdf-converter.substvars
dh_gencontrol
dpkg-gencontrol: warning: Depends field of package qubes-pdf-converter: unknown substitution variable ${pythonver:Depends}
dpkg-gencontrol: warning: can't parse dependency -nautilus
dpkg-gencontrol: error: error occurred while parsing Depends field: poppler-utils, imagemagick, -nautilus,
dh_gencontrol: dpkg-gencontrol -pqubes-pdf-converter -ldebian/changelog -Tdebian/qubes-pdf-converter.substvars -Pdebian/qubes-pdf-converter -UMulti-Arch returned exit code 25
dh_gencontrol: Aborting due to earlier error
debian/rules:17: recipe for target 'override_dh_gencontrol' failed
make[1]: *** [override_dh_gencontrol] Error 25
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/user/qubes-src/app-linux-pdf-converter'
debian/rules:10: recipe for target 'binary' failed
make: *** [binary] Error 2
dpkg-buildpackage: error: fakeroot debian/rules binary subprocess returned exit status 2
make[2]: *** [/home/user/qubes-builder/qubes-src/builder-debian//Makefile-legacy.debian:50: dist-package] Error 2
make[1]: *** [Makefile.generic:191: packages] Error 1
make: *** [Makefile:227: app-linux-pdf-converter-vm] Error 1

Regards,

Damien

unman

May 31, 2020, 7:51:06 AM5/31/20
to qubes-users
On Sat, May 30, 2020 at 12:06:16PM -0700, Damien Waber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to build an ubuntu template since it is required for one of my
> courses. I followed several tutorials / posts on the internet but all
> failed. Could anyone help me?

There's a fix in the pipeline - in the meantime, go to
app-linux-pdf-converter/debian and edit `rules` -
On line 17, there's a typo -
Change qubes.pdf-converter to qubes-pdf-converter

Now the build will work, albeit with warnings that I really should fix.

If you are short of time, you can always grab a pre-built template from
https://qubes.3isec.org

Damien Waber

May 31, 2020, 12:14:27 PM5/31/20
to qubes-users
Thanks very much ! and than you for the link to prebuilt images. You even have focal :-D

unman

May 31, 2020, 7:50:34 PM5/31/20
to qubes-users
On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 09:14:27AM -0700, Damien Waber wrote:
> Thanks very much ! and than you for the link to prebuilt images. You even
> have focal :-D
>

> Le dimanche 31 mai 2020 07:51:06 UTC-4, unman a ??crit :
> >
> > On Sat, May 30, 2020 at 12:06:16PM -0700, Damien Waber wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I tried to build an ubuntu template since it is required for one of my
> > > courses. I followed several tutorials / posts on the internet but all
> > > failed. Could anyone help me?
> >
> > There's a fix in the pipeline - in the meantime, go to
> > app-linux-pdf-converter/debian and edit `rules` -
> > On line 17, there's a typo -
> > Change qubes.pdf-converter to qubes-pdf-converter
> >
> > Now the build will work, albeit with warnings that I really should fix.
> >
> > If you are short of time, you can always grab a pre-built template from
> > https://qubes.3isec.org

The PR has been merged, so a simple update on the sources will do.

I do have a focal template there - Made it for a client, but thought I'd
make it available.
It wont be available in qubes-builder until the debootstrap scripts are
updated to include focal.
If anyone's interested, I could provide a quick write-up on how to build
the focal template..

unman

Sven Semmler

May 31, 2020, 10:28:00 PM5/31/20
to unman, qubes-users
On Mon, Jun 01, 2020 at 12:50:30AM +0100, unman wrote:
> If anyone's interested, I could provide a quick write-up on how to build
> the focal template..

Hi unman,

after our last conversation I switched all my templates to buster to
check if I tricked myself into thinking Ubuntu would somehow be easier.
You were right, there is really no difference to speak of. Somehow my
personal learning curve worked out in a way that I thought Ubuntu was
easier.

What I do like so much about Ubuntu in fact comes down to the Ambiance
theme, the Humanity icon set and the ubuntu font. I can copy these to
any Linux distro.

That being said, I would love to read your write-up for educational
purposes.

/Sven

--
public key: https://www.svensemmler.org/0x8F541FB6.asc
fingerprint: D7CA F2DB 658D 89BC 08D6 A7AA DA6E 167B 8F54 1FB6

Sven Semmler

May 31, 2020, 10:31:42 PM5/31/20
to unman, qubes-users
On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 09:27:24PM -0500, Sven Semmler wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 01, 2020 at 12:50:30AM +0100, unman wrote:
> > If anyone's interested, I could provide a quick write-up on how to build
> > the focal template..
>
> That being said, I would love to read your write-up for educational
> purposes.

... meaning, I tried to this myself earlier and have failed each time.
So I'd itch to see how it's done right.

frederi...@gmail.com

Jun 10, 2020, 10:29:16 AM6/10/20
to qubes-users
Hi,

Thank you again for the help. I run the ubuntu VM since then with no problems.

Just as info : I did not used the focal VM since it has no sound.

Regards,

Damien