qubes 4 windows installation

Roy Bernat

Jan 2, 2018, 4:27:58 AM1/2/18
to qubes-users
Hi All

i am trying to understand if someone succeeded to install win7/10 on qubes 4.

awokd

Jan 2, 2018, 7:25:47 AM1/2/18
to Roy Bernat, qubes-users
Haven't tried a brand new install, but I restored to 4.0 a Win7 VM I had
made on 3.2 and it booted right up.

Roy Bernat

Jan 2, 2018, 10:59:03 AM1/2/18
to qubes-users
can you send me your prefs ?

I succeeded to make it work but it is very unstable

awokd

Jan 2, 2018, 11:35:09 AM1/2/18
to Roy Bernat, qubes-users
On Tue, January 2, 2018 3:59 pm, Roy Bernat wrote:
> can you send me your prefs ?
>
> I succeeded to make it work but it is very unstable

Haven't tested mine for stability on 4, just booted it once and shut it
down. But my settings on 3.2 are 2048MB initial/max memory and 1 vCPU.

goo...@itrichter.de

Jan 6, 2018, 2:28:21 PM1/6/18
to qubes-users

Standalone Windows 7 VMs seem to work, though only without seamless GUI.
But I have not been able to get template-based windows VMs, they always fail with "Cannot execute qrexec-daemon!".

goo...@itrichter.de

Jan 26, 2018, 12:47:14 PM1/26/18
to qubes-users
Am Samstag, 6. Januar 2018 20:28:21 UTC+1 schrieb goo...@itrichter.de:
> [...]

> Standalone Windows 7 VMs seem to work, though only without seamless GUI.
> But I have not been able to get template-based windows VMs, they always fail with "Cannot execute qrexec-daemon!".

Addition: In order to get a stable Windows 7, I had to disable memory balancing AND set the min and max memory to the same value. Otherwise, the VM would crash each time the memory balancing occured.

Yuraeitha

Jan 26, 2018, 1:05:37 PM1/26/18
to qubes-users

Yes, I can second this issue, I experience it too and had to turn off dynamic memory. Although I did not confirm if it was the case the last 1-2 months or so. I also had to be put on minimum Memory at 4GB, since 3GB or 3.5GB RAM sometimes made Win7 crash. 4GB+ made it stable on my system.

I also brought over my Win7 install from Qubes 3.2. When I find a new clean install medium that I can be sure is 100% authentic, I'll re-install on Qubes 4 to test it out, but I'm hoping to get a clean verified install medium first.
Maybe someone knows any reliable place to find trustworthy hash-sum values of the MS Win7 iso-files. I've seen some posted once, but it was on an unreliable website at the time. For some weird out reason I can't use my legal license key to download the medium on the MS-website for a legal clean Win7 copy... seems like it isn't uncommon either for others? Some reliable hash values would be wonderous for more trustworthy installs on Qubes.

Also on my Qubes 3.2. Win7 on Qubes 4, I can easily transfer files in and out of Win7, and everything else Qubes related "seems" to work, except I have no internet connection. Just a heads up, and does anyone else experience this issue too from their Win7 that came from Qubes 3.2?

I can't see any windows-tools in the repository in Qubes 4, was it integrated into Qubes from the beginning, done in a different way, or maybe its not been done yet?

It seems very unfeasible to install Win7 without the qubes windows tools, or an Qubes 4 alternative that does the same. Does anyone know where we are at with these tools? I can't imagine installing Win7 is a good idea without it. Maybe find another computer, install Qubes 3.2. on it, install a new fresh Win7, backup, and then transfer it to Qubes 4?

Yuraeitha

Jan 26, 2018, 1:12:35 PM1/26/18
to qubes-users

https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-installer-qubes-os-windows-tools
Seems like the Windows-Tools has been in-active for a long time. Except for power-settings adjustments in 2017, nothing else has happened since 2016.

Is there a re-design made for Qubes 4 perhaps? Any ideas where to look or anyone got sources?

awokd

Jan 26, 2018, 1:27:49 PM1/26/18
to Yuraeitha, qubes-users
On Fri, January 26, 2018 6:05 pm, Yuraeitha wrote:
> On Friday, January 26, 2018 at 6:47:14 PM UTC+1, goo...@itrichter.de
> wrote:
>
>> Am Samstag, 6. Januar 2018 20:28:21 UTC+1 schrieb goo...@itrichter.de:

>> Addition: In order to get a stable Windows 7, I had to disable memory
>> balancing AND set the min and max memory to the same value. Otherwise,
>> the VM would crash each time the memory balancing occured.
>
> Yes, I can second this issue, I experience it too and had to turn off
> dynamic memory. Although I did not confirm if it was the case the last
> 1-2 months or so. I also had to be put on minimum Memory at 4GB, since
> 3GB or 3.5GB RAM sometimes made Win7 crash. 4GB+ made it stable on my
> system.

Thirded, except I'm stable with 2GB min/max and have the Win7 swapfile
fixed at 1GB. It didn't seem to like resizing the swap file. My Win7 gets
very light use, however.

> For some
> weird out reason I can't use my legal license key to download the medium
> on the MS-website for a legal clean Win7 copy... seems like it isn't
> uncommon either for others?

Must be their way to encourage you to switch completely to Linux!

> I can't see any windows-tools in the repository in Qubes 4, was it
> integrated into Qubes from the beginning, done in a different way, or
> maybe its not been done yet?

There might be a GSoC suggestion to update them but like you found, I
don't think they have an active maintainer.

goo...@itrichter.de

Jan 27, 2018, 7:58:40 AM1/27/18
to qubes-users
Am Freitag, 26. Januar 2018 19:05:37 UTC+1 schrieb Yuraeitha:
> Also on my Qubes 3.2. Win7 on Qubes 4, I can easily transfer files in and out of Win7, and everything else Qubes related "seems" to work, except I have no internet connection. Just a heads up, and does anyone else experience this issue too from their Win7 that came from Qubes 3.2?

That's interesting, on my Win7 from 3.2 the tools do not seem to work.
But I can confirm the network issue, I must set another DNS server after every boot, then network and internet works.