Qubes R3 shutdown is VERY slow on my Lenovo T450s

2yh0d9+ch4...@guerrillamail.com

Feb 7, 2016, 5:42:35 PM2/7/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I have installed Qubes R3 on my Lenovo T450s (i7 with 12GB RAM) and either the shutdown or the startup takes an huge amount of time to complete.

During the startup a lot of time is spent on the initialization of the NetVM & DispV :

"Starting Qubes DispVM startup setup..."
"Staring Qubes NetVM startup..."

The shutdown takes almost 5m in my laptop to complete and I have no idea what dom0 is doing.
I used to run qvm-shutdown --all --wait followed by 'init 0' but this shows no improvement in the shutdown time.

Any ideas what one could do in order to improve this?

----
Sent using GuerrillaMail.com
Block or report abuse: https://www.guerrillamail.com/abuse/?a=UFR2AB5NVqcQmh2U93EQdRjCStifx8dDiadNcQ%3D%3D

Chris Laprise

Feb 7, 2016, 6:01:02 PM2/7/16
to 2yh0d9+ch4...@guerrillamail.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com

On 02/07/2016 05:42 PM, 2yh0d9+ch4d0s6d04tw8 via qubes-users wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have installed Qubes R3 on my Lenovo T450s (i7 with 12GB RAM) and either the shutdown or the startup takes an huge amount of time to complete.
>
> During the startup a lot of time is spent on the initialization of the NetVM & DispV :
>
> "Starting Qubes DispVM startup setup..."
> "Staring Qubes NetVM startup..."
>

> The shutdown takes almost 5m in my laptop to complete and I have no idea what dom0 is doing.
> I used to run qvm-shutdown --all --wait followed by 'init 0' but this shows no improvement in the shutdown time.
>
> Any ideas what one could do in order to improve this?

My old shutdown script which started with qvm-shutdown also doesn't work
properly... it usually hangs at some point. I find the normal shutdown
initiated from the KDE launcher now works the way it should, so I use
that now. I believe the shortcut for shutdown is Shift-Ctrl-Alt-PgDown.

Chris

timet...@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2016, 1:40:46 PM2/9/16
to qubes-users, 2yh0d9+ch4...@guerrillamail.com
On Sunday, February 7, 2016 at 3:42:35 PM UTC-7, 2yh0d9+ch4...@guerrillamail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have installed Qubes R3 on my Lenovo T450s (i7 with 12GB RAM) and either the shutdown or the startup takes an huge amount of time to complete.

Shutdown was very slow for me too on my Dell but it is much faster now (often less than a minute) using RC2.

2zqcn6+8u9...@guerrillamail.com

Feb 9, 2016, 4:41:51 PM2/9/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
This seems to a recurrent issue with the Qubes R3.
Even when all AppVMS down, Qubes takes a long time to complete the shutdown and this is quite annoying.

Is there anything that one could be done in order to improve the shutdown/startup ?

Tim W

Feb 13, 2016, 11:48:01 PM2/13/16
to qubes-users, 2zqcn6+8u9...@guerrillamail.com

As it snot happening to a majority of users is there some common link?   Everyone once in a while if things get a bit corrupted shut down might take a long time but for me I use the normal shut down route even with a fair amount of VMs running and its nothing out of the ordinary for qubes.  Certainly no where remotely close to 5 mins.

Eric Shelton

Feb 15, 2016, 8:54:30 PM2/15/16
On Sunday, February 7, 2016 at 5:42:35 PM UTC-5, 2yh0d9+ch4...@guerrillamail.com wrote:
Hello,

I have installed Qubes R3 on my Lenovo T450s (i7 with 12GB RAM) and either the shutdown or the startup takes an huge amount of time to complete.

During the startup a lot of time is spent on the initialization of the NetVM & DispV :

"Starting Qubes DispVM startup setup..."
"Staring Qubes NetVM startup..."

The shutdown takes almost 5m in my laptop to complete and I have no idea what dom0 is doing.
I used to run qvm-shutdown --all --wait followed by 'init 0' but this shows no improvement in the shutdown time.

Any ideas what one could do in order to improve this?

I have seen this happen on some systems, while not on others.  A workaround that often works is to stop all of the domains, including sys-firewall and sys-net, before doing a shutdown/reboot.

Eric

Tim W

Feb 15, 2016, 9:35:50 PM2/15/16
to qubes-users, 2yh0d9+ch4...@guerrillamail.com

I think that is the issue, they are stopping all VM except Dom0 and thus some Dom0 process is extending the shutdown time.

I am running a Thinkpad T440p and do not have these issues so it's some variable.

toilet...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2017, 1:21:10 AM3/13/17
to qubes-users
I'm experiencing the same in M4700. It took me 5 mins to shutdown qubes.

Grzesiek Chodzicki

Mar 13, 2017, 9:59:59 AM3/13/17
to qubes-users, 2yh0d9+ch4...@guerrillamail.com
Out of pure curiosity. Does the shutdown still take such a long time if You manually shutdown sys-net, sys-usb and every other VM that holds a PCI device? If yes set pci_e820_host to false in qvm-prefs of those VMs. Worked for me.