R4.0.1 UEFI black screen after boot

duc...@disroot.org

Sep 10, 2019, 4:59:10 PM9/10/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
This is an issue that's been reported before, and some solutions appear
to be out there, including re-installing with Legacy boot. However, they
all seem to involve modifying the installer prior to installation or
making changes via a GRUB menu. I'm never presented with a GRUB menu
with either (I suspect that's a UEFI issue), so I'm not quite sure how
to proceed with troubleshooting. I want to stick with UEFI-only boot as
far as possible.

The last messages echoed before the black screen are:

>[VT-D]Passed iommu=no-igfx option. Disabling IGD VT-d engine.
>Scrubbing Free RAM on 1 nodes using 2 CPUs
>.................done.
>Initial low memory virq threshold set at 0x4000 pages.
>Std. Loglevel: All
>Guest Loglevel: Nothing (Rate-limited: Errors and warnings)
>Xen is relinquishing VGA console.

The screen goes black indefinitely at this point.

This is a device with only integrated GPU so I suspected this might be a
problem.

How should I proceed?

awokd

Sep 10, 2019, 6:52:44 PM9/10/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
duc...@disroot.org:
Intel integrated GPU usually works well as is. Are you getting the black
screen when you boot the installer, or after it completes and reboots?

Claudia

Sep 11, 2019, 9:43:16 AM9/11/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
'awokd' via qubes-users:
For what it's worth, yesterday I updated dom0 on a previously working
Qubes 4.0.1 installation, rebooted, and ran into this exact problem. I
have absolutely no idea if it's related.

Also, re: grub, from my experience it appears to me that it only uses
grub.efi if you have more than one OS installed, such as R4.0.1 and
R4.1, otherwise xen.efi is used which does not have any boot menu or
command line capabilities. I imagine you could change this from rescue
media using some kind of UEFI boot config utility, or perhaps by running
grub-install? With rescue media, you also can modify boot parameters in
/boot/xen.cfg directly.

In my case, changing xen.cfg back to 4.14 kernel seems to solve the
issue, but I know I had a 4.19 kernel working on this same machine
before. I haven't tried legacy boot at all.

Anyway, point is that it may not be strictly due to UEFI, per se. For
me, 4.14 worked fine under UEFI, and then the 4.19 update caused the
same symptoms you're seeing, which is just like any other
update-gone-wrong, UEFI or not. Also, I don't even know if it was the
kernel update that caused it. It could have been caused by a dracut
update, Xen, or anything else, I assume.

It's on a currently non-production system so I'm probably not going to
troubleshoot it. Most likely I'll wait around for the next kernel update
and see if that fixes it, or wait around for 4.0.2 and reinstall and see
if that fixes it.

This free account was provided by VFEmail.net - report spam to ab...@vfemail.net

ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the NSA's hands!
15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas!
Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!

duc...@disroot.org

Sep 12, 2019, 4:59:24 AM9/12/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
'awokd' via qubes-users:
The installer boots just fine, no issues at all. It's only after it
completes and I try to boot Qubes OS proper that I've just installed
that I get this problem.

duc...@disroot.org

Sep 12, 2019, 5:18:05 AM9/12/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Claudia:
Think I'll put 4.0.1 out to pasture and wait for 4.0.2 then. Glad to get
your input.

awokd

Sep 12, 2019, 8:29:11 AM9/12/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
duc...@disroot.org:
> 'awokd' via qubes-users:

>> Intel integrated GPU usually works well as is. Are you getting the black
>> screen when you boot the installer, or after it completes and reboots?
>>
> The installer boots just fine, no issues at all. It's only after it
> completes and I try to boot Qubes OS proper that I've just installed
> that I get this problem.

OK, you should be pretty close then. If you still have Qubes installed
on your HDD, try this:

-
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/uefi-troubleshooting/#accessing-installer-rescue-mode-on-uefi
- it will tell you where it mounted your HDD, think it's /mnt/sysimage
- cd /mnt/sysimage/boot/efi/EFI/qubes
- ls should list xen.cfg, nano it
- do steps 11 & 12 in
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/uefi-troubleshooting/#cannot-start-installation-installation-completes-successfully-but-then-bios-loops-at-boot-device-selection-hangs-at-four-penguins-after-choosing-test-media-and-install-qubes-os-in-grub-menu

If that doesn't help, reboot into Rescue mode and nano xen.cfg again.
Remove those mapbs and noexitboot lines, then add efi=attr=uc to the end
of each options line (step 5 for "3.2" in
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/uefi-troubleshooting/#system-crashrestart-when-booting-installer).

duc...@disroot.org

Sep 14, 2019, 4:22:58 AM9/14/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
'awokd' via qubes-users:
Thanks, applying steps 11 and 12 as suggested was the answer.

The hardest part was figuring out how to reach a GRUB menu from UEFI, as
it turns out. I might suggest a change to the webpage you linked so that
the "Accessing installer Rescue mode on UEFI" section is elevated to an
NB: at the top rather than the bottom of the page.

awokd

Sep 14, 2019, 5:39:13 AM9/14/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
duc...@disroot.org:

> Thanks, applying steps 11 and 12 as suggested was the answer.

Good.

> The hardest part was figuring out how to reach a GRUB menu from UEFI, as
> it turns out. I might suggest a change to the webpage you linked so that
> the "Accessing installer Rescue mode on UEFI" section is elevated to an
> NB: at the top rather than the bottom of the page.

I have a submission in the works to make that document more clear in
general, and just added the "black screen" symptom:
https://github.com/awokd/qubes-doc/blob/patch-4/user/advanced-configuration/uefi-troubleshooting.md#installation-completes-successfully-but-then-boot-loops-or-hangs-on-black-screen.

--
- don't top post
- trim quoted reply to only relevant portions