Qubes Server HVM network problem

Who Cares

Aug 23, 2018, 1:43:28 PM8/23/18
to qubes-users
Hello there,

I am trying to build a Qubes Server and I want 2 Windows HVMs.
Heres the Setup:

--> sys-net(internal(Lan2)) --> Some other Windows-Clients
--/
Windows Server-|
--\
--> sys-firewall --> sys-net(Internet(Lan1))
Windows Client --/

My problems here are :

1: Network between booth Windows HVM (I don´t know how to accomplish)
2: Can I attach 2 Networking VMs to the Win-serv VM?

I was already thinking about not to use Qubes but the Xen-Distribution.
Is Qubes the right Solution for this?

Thank you so far :)

awokd

Aug 24, 2018, 5:18:09 AM8/24/18
to Who Cares, qubes-users

See https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/firewall/.

> 2: Can I attach 2 Networking VMs to the Win-serv VM?

Not natively with Qubes. However, it might be possible to bridge your
Win-serv VM straight to your LAN, then your other Windows Client VM could
access it like normal. See
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/network-bridge-support/; unknown if anyone
has accomplished this under 4.0. So you'd have two separate sys-nets:

Windows Server VM --- sys-net2 (bridge on Lan2 interface)

Windows Client VM --- sys-firewall --- sys-net1 (on Lan1 interface to same
network)

> I was already thinking about not to use Qubes but the Xen-Distribution.
> Is Qubes the right Solution for this?

Qubes is aimed more at security than providing networking conveniences, so
whether it's right for you depends on where you rank both. :)

Who Cares

Aug 24, 2018, 1:34:47 PM8/24/18
to qubes-users

> See https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/firewall/.

worked fine there :)

> Not natively with Qubes. However, it might be possible to bridge your
> Win-serv VM straight to your LAN, then your other Windows Client VM could
> access it like normal. See
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/network-bridge-support/; unknown if anyone
> has accomplished this under 4.0. So you'd have two separate sys-nets:
>
> Windows Server VM --- sys-net2 (bridge on Lan2 interface)
>
> Windows Client VM --- sys-firewall --- sys-net1 (on Lan1 interface to same
> network)

I just assigned the second LAN to the Win-serv Vm this worked just fine here :)

awokd

Aug 25, 2018, 11:03:23 AM8/25/18
to Who Cares, qubes-users
On Fri, August 24, 2018 5:34 pm, Who Cares wrote:

>> Windows Server VM --- sys-net2 (bridge on Lan2 interface)
>>

>> Windows Client VM --- sys-firewall --- sys-net1 (on Lan1 interface to
>> same network)
>
> I just assigned the second LAN to the Win-serv Vm this worked just fine
> here :)

You assigned the second NIC device directly to Win-serv? Good idea, that
makes sense too if nothing else needs it!