Resizing template vm root partition in 4.0-rc1

Justin

Aug 8, 2017, 8:38:27 PM8/8/17
to qubes-users
Hi, I'm trying to follow the instructions for installing kali linux here https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/pentesting/kali/#debian-upgrade and I'm running into a problem when I try to resize the root partition to have enough space for Kali. When I try to do it through the VM settings GUI, it gives me an error related to shrinking the partition (which is weird, because I'm changing the size from 10240 to 20480 or 25600) and then it recommends that I try to do it via lvresize. I can resize it using lvresize, but when I boot the vm, df -h tells me that the size is still the original 10 GiB. When I look at fdisk, the additional space shows up, but when I try to run resize2fs on /dev/mapper/dmroot, it says that it already fills all the space. I also tried following the instructions here https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/resize-disk-image/ and https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/resize-root-disk-image/ but I can't find the root.img file like I could in 3.2.

So, am I missing something here or is it not possible to resize the root partition right now?