Is it safe to install Qubes4 on laptop used windows10 before?

zxcv...@scryptmail.com

Feb 13, 2019, 3:55:06 PM2/13/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Hello All,

I have a laptop from family that is rarely used,but with windows10 installed on it,arguably the most infamous windows version.

If I install Qubse4.0 on this laptop, would qubes completely wipe windows10 away?
Since some hardware's ID numbers are registered with microsoft in update process,and maybe even UUID,
would microsoft still be able to track this laptop when it's online?

Second option, is to take off the harddrive with windows10 and change to a completely new one purely for qubes.
with the concern above still there-the hard ware records---can microsoft track THIS laptop when it's online?

* by installed with windows 10 ---I mean it pressed the agree button on microsoft agreement when new laptop
  switched on, this stage is offline,

  and pressed 'update' button, and fully updated with microsoft and registered with it, this part is online.

Please advi se, thank you

unman

Feb 14, 2019, 11:12:39 AM2/14/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 08:55:01PM +0000, zxcv...@scryptmail.com wrote:
> Hello All,I have a laptop from family that is rarely used,but with windows10 installed on it,arguably the most infamous windows version.If I install Qubse4.0 on this laptop, would qubes completely wipe windows10 away?  Since some hardware's ID numbers are registered with microsoft in update process,and maybe even UUID, would microsoft still be able to track this laptop when it's online?Second option, is to take off the harddrive with windows10 and change to a completely new one purely for qubes. with the concern above still there-the hard ware records---can microsoft track THIS laptop when it's online?* by installed with windows 10 ---I mean it pressed the agree button on microsoft agreement when new laptop   switched on, this stage is offline,  and pressed 'update' button, and fully updated with microsoft and registered with it, this part is online.Please advise, thank you

That's a really good question.
Certainly MS will have some information about the hardware configuration
of that laptop. That doesnt mean that MS would be able to track you
online, but it does raise the issue that IF someone were able to get
information about the hardware and IF they were able to get information
from MS THEN they would be able to trace it back to you.
When you install Qubes there are options to delete existing partitions,
and if you choose to encrypt Qubes (I seem to recall that) the existing
partitions will be overwritten, so the old Windows will be gone.

If you are seriously worried about these issues I would recommend
getting a burner laptop with new drive and look in to the use of
Whonix-Qubes, or Qubes and Tor. If you are just somewhat concerned then to
be honest a simple wipe and install of Qubes would be enough.

unman

Stuart Perkins

Feb 14, 2019, 11:31:44 AM2/14/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I prefer to go a step farther and use a laptop which can have the bios overwritten with coreboot, sans Intel ME. This limits to laptops of a certain age/design, and I currently use a Lenovo T520. The newest Lenovo laptop which ME can be completely removed is the X1 Carbon GEN 1. After that, the best you can do is set the HAP bit...which still relies on some of the "blobs" and the early part of the ME. I have not messed with doing either, and have a "guy" who coreboots my bios for me at present.

With the recent revelations about Austrailia's laws and the maintainers of Whonix, I would not trust it to provide anonymity. Nevertheless, coreboot is a good start.

nosugar...@gmail.com

Feb 14, 2019, 9:55:26 PM2/14/19
to qubes-users
When you format a HDD, whatever OS was on there previously is gone. Be it Windows, Qubes, or whatever. None of the windows phone home features will survive the format and you can happily install Qubes on the formated HDD.

I really don't believe Microsoft is able to track your hardware, UUID, if you've installed Qubes. Nor would this effect your activities on Qubes anyway?

cooloutac

Feb 22, 2019, 6:39:46 PM2/22/19
to qubes-users
MS wouldn't be able to track you from anything on your hdd. BUt not sure why you would be worried about that? Tor would help keep your location anonymous, but to block browser fingerprints you would probably be better off using whonix which has tor browser. But i'm not really sure how effective it is at stopping that.

I think Qubes is more for home desktop security, not really anonymity. Maybe tails on a flash drive is more for your use case.

Google is probably tracking you more and actually making money off your browsing habits. But There is nothing wrong with installing Qubes on your machine. I mean are you afraid of Microsoft assassinating you, throwing you in jail? I'm not sure they even make ad money off you unless you are using windows 10, and probably only then when using an MS account on a non hardened machine.