qubes-update-gui always has "updates available for 1 qubes"

cubit

Mar 5, 2019, 3:26:52 PM3/5/19
to Qubes Users

Is there any way to see what qubes the qubes-update-gui tool thinks there are updates for.  Ever since installing Qubes 4.0  the gui has been telling me there is "updates available for 1 qubes"  even when the gui shows there is not^1.    Even manually selecting all listed quebes and running an update on them all does not get rid of this notice.

Is there somewhere on the command line I can look to see what qubes-update-gui tool things needs updating and more importantly, clear it :-)

1: This was also happening before I pause checking of some templates as per this post: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/qubes-users/|sort:date/qubes-users/V1YpSYsUiwA/8kt2j4BQBAAJ

Cubit

cooloutac

Mar 6, 2019, 11:29:02 AM3/6/19
to qubes-users
when you update do -vv to show full information on update progress and see if there is any errors.

This sometimes happens to me if google chrome repo doesn't update for example.

Last time I did this it showed metadata erros. so a sudo dnf clean metadata fixed issue.

haaber

Mar 6, 2019, 3:23:04 PM3/6/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
> when you update do -vv to show full information on update progress and see if there is any errors.
>
> This sometimes happens to me if google chrome repo doesn't update for example.
>
> Last time I did this it showed metadata erros. so a sudo dnf clean metadata fixed issue.

This may be related to my observation that when dnf / apt cache are too
large, automatic updates fail, without users being notified about the
reason of the non-update ?

cooloutac

Mar 7, 2019, 1:49:59 AM3/7/19
to qubes-users
I don't think so in my case.

regarding google chrome repo it was because I was forcing https over tor at the time. and when it got updated it would keep reverting it back to http and then failing. I would have to keep changing it back to https for it to update and get rid of arrow.

In case of the metadata error. It was cause I had upgraded the template manually to new version and it must of cause some problems.

For default repos this shouldn't happen anymore like in old Qubes versions.

cooloutac

Mar 7, 2019, 1:56:00 AM3/7/19
to qubes-users
also it was a cloned repo that I had manually upgraded. wouldn't know there was no error. it would show it updating. unless I did the -v to see the problems.

Adam Robinson

Mar 7, 2019, 9:19:46 AM3/7/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Is there any way to see what qubes the qubes-update-gui tool thinks there are updates for.  Ever since installing Qubes 4.0  the gui has been telling me there is "updates available for 1 qubes"  even when the gui shows there is not^1.    Even manually selecting all listed quebes and running an update on them all does not get rid of this notice.

Is there somewhere on the command line I can look to see what qubes-update-gui tool things needs updating and more importantly, clear it :-)

I've seen the same behavior, I believe it is this bug - https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/4667

From looking at https://github.com/QubesOS/updates-status/issues/879 it appears that an update for this was posted to the stable repository a few hours ago.  I haven't had a chance to try it myself though.

-Adam
Message has been deleted

cooloutac

Mar 7, 2019, 11:54:31 AM3/7/19
to qubes-users
I would just use the Qubes-manager. really not sure why they wanted to change things. Seems like extra work for nothing.

cubit

Mar 21, 2019, 6:11:42 AM3/21/19
to Qubes Users
Mar 5, 2019, 8:26 PM by cubit@tutanota.c
To follow up,  the latest dom0 updates (24-48hrs ago) appear to have fixed this.