How to edit Qubes R4.0.3 ISO image file in Windows 10 system

Data Eight

Dec 14, 2020, 1:43:15 PM12/14/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I am trying to install "Qubes-R4.0.3-x86-64 OS" on Windows 10 UEFI system. Using Rufus created bootable media (DD image option selected). The installation is done (till the message that qubes successfully installed and ready to go) but after first reboot, the black screen not proceed further.

I found to add two lines (bootnoexit=1; mapbs=1) in each kernel section within bootx64.cfg  file within EFI folder.

But it is not working in Windows 10. Since I am a New user to Qubes OS, I request help in this issue (Can't logging to Qubes).

Thanks in advance for your help.

awokd

Dec 14, 2020, 6:44:55 PM12/14/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Data Eight:
Could you download a bootable Linux distribution of some kind and
temporarily use that to edit the ISO?

--
- don't top post
- trim quoted reply to only relevant portions

load...@gmail.com

Dec 15, 2020, 7:16:38 AM12/15/20
to qubes-users

Ulrich Windl

Dec 20, 2020, 6:32:38 PM12/20/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 12/14/20 7:42 PM, Data Eight wrote:
> I am trying to install "Qubes-R4.0.3-x86-64 OS" on Windows 10 UEFI
> system. Using Rufus created bootable media (DD image option selected).
> The installation is done (till the message that qubes successfully
> installed and ready to go) but after first reboot, the black screen not
> proceed further.

If you ever messed with grub2's boot menu, I could suggest to remove the
"quiet" option. So there should be some messages when booting, and maybe
sone message is the last one, so you may get a clue...

> I found to add two lines (bootnoexit=1; mapbs=1) in each kernel section
> within bootx64.cfg  file within EFI folder.
>
> But it is not working in Windows 10. Since I am a New user to Qubes OS,
> I request help in this issue (Can't logging to Qubes).

What Do you mean with "in Windows 10"?: Run as VM in Windows 10?

> Thanks in advance for your help.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/CALdk6vJ1-4ZNAYZ-viJfKyiHdBwpXiM4uF-hLKXsb3Ygwh%2BBtw%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/CALdk6vJ1-4ZNAYZ-viJfKyiHdBwpXiM4uF-hLKXsb3Ygwh%2BBtw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Data Eight

Feb 16, 2021, 2:51:22 AM2/16/21
to qubes-users
Hello Qubes Google Group Members (who are gave their suggenstions to my post):
Thanks all for your help and support regarding editing Qubes ISO image.

I referred the UEFI Troubleshooting web page and installed the QUBES OS in my Dell Inspiron and started to learn to work with QUBES.
Thanks once again.

The exact problem I have is system get freezed when the system get reboot after successful QUBES OS installation. So, as per UEFI troubleshooting instruction for UEFI system, I have included some kernal line changes in xen.cfg file using vi editor, before selecting reboot after Qubes install.

The procedure I followed for this modification is as follows:
1. dont select reboot after successful installation of Qubes OS
2. press ctrl+alt+f2
3. type: vi /mnt/sysimage/boot/efi/EFI/qubes/xen.cfg
4. remove the following from the first line: smt=off and insert efi=attr=uc
5. then enter the following: :wq
6. press ctrl+alt+f6
7. select reboot.

Thats it. Now the black screen problem what I have faced was gone. I posted what I followed to resolve this problem. The above procedure will be helpful for someone. The windows 10 word in the help requested post, is actually not relevant to be used to ask suggession.  So sorry for it.

Thanks once again Group Users who are responded.

Ulrich Windl

Feb 22, 2021, 12:01:10 PM2/22/21
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 2/16/21 8:51 AM, Data Eight wrote:
> Hello Qubes Google Group Members (who are gave their suggenstions to my
> post):
> Thanks all for your help and support regarding editing Qubes ISO image.
>
> I referred the UEFI Troubleshooting web page and installed the QUBES OS
> in my Dell Inspiron and started to learn to work with QUBES.
> Thanks once again.
>
> The exact problem I have is system get freezed when the system get
> reboot after successful QUBES OS installation. So, as per UEFI
> troubleshooting instruction for UEFI system, I have included some kernal
> line changes in xen.cfg file using vi editor, before selecting reboot
> after Qubes install.
>
> The procedure I followed for this modification is as follows:
> 1. dont select reboot after successful installation of Qubes OS
> 2. press /ctrl+alt+f2/
> 3. type: /vi /mnt/sysimage/boot/efi/EFI/qubes/xen.cfg/
> 4. remove the following from the first line: /smt=off /and insert
> /efi=attr=uc/
> 5. then enter the following: /:wq/

I think (especially on QWERTY layouts) that "Shift+ZZ" is more handy ;-)