disk passphrase failing with error message "luks_open failed for /dev/sda2 with errno -1"

hellomi...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2016, 7:18:44 AM12/16/16
to qubes-users
disk passphrase is not bieng accepted and throwing this error

luks_open failed for /dev/sda2 with errno -1

How do I reset my passphrase for disk.

hellomi...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2016, 7:19:16 AM12/16/16
to qubes-users, hellomi...@gmail.com

This is for QUBES R3.1

Andrew David Wong

Dec 16, 2016, 7:25:38 AM12/16/16
to hellomi...@gmail.com, qubes-users

Andrew David Wong

Dec 16, 2016, 7:34:36 AM12/16/16
to Hello Mister, qubes...@googlegroups.com

hellomi...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2016, 8:02:22 AM12/16/16
to qubes-users, hellomi...@gmail.com
On Friday, December 16, 2016 at 5:48:44 PM UTC+5:30, hellomi...@gmail.com wrote:

Cant I attach screen shots ? How do I send you screen shots of what I am facing ?

hellomi...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2016, 8:10:13 AM12/16/16
to qubes-users, hellomi...@gmail.com

1. Are you sure that you're entering the correct passphrase?

Yes

2. Where exactly are you seeing this error?

During booting of Qubes R 3.0 OS

3. Is there more to it, or is that the whole error?

GUI , its the whole error

4. In your system, what is /dev/sda2 (e.g., root partition)?

Yes its one partition holding /root

So I tried to see if a reinstallation can happen.
During custom installation in GUI mode tried custom disk partitioning , gave the original passphrase which failed with a error as given.

I have the boot phase of Qubes OS (disk passphrase failure snapshots), which returns to the # prompt.
The boot process entered in to emergency mode
The command console posted two red failed & two yellow DEPEND status

Failed - Failed to start cryptography setup for luks-(hexacode log string)
See 'systemctl statys systemd-cryptsetup@luks\xedcf......service' for details
Depend - Dependency failed for Encrypted Volume

Swâmi Petaramesh

Dec 16, 2016, 8:33:37 AM12/16/16
to hellomi...@gmail.com, qubes-users
Hello,
You are not getting a "wrong passphrase" message, but more of a system
or disk error.

Fortunately, because there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY you can "reset" the
passphrase without completely destroying and recreating your encrypted
container (otherwise, what would be the purpose of encrypting it) ?

You may need to tell us more about your setup. Try to type [Esc] and
enter your passphrase in text mode, so you may see more detailed error
messages.

Regards.

--
Swâmi Petaramesh <sw...@petaramesh.org> PGP 9076E32E

Hello Mister

Dec 16, 2016, 9:18:20 AM12/16/16
to qubes-users, hellomi...@gmail.com
Screen shots of os booting , os boot CLI , reinstallation are in this link of google drive

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B4hCGXLQ_xRzQnk0aDlVcXRpaU0?usp=sharing

Swâmi Petaramesh

Dec 16, 2016, 10:18:07 AM12/16/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 12/16/2016 03:18 PM, Hello Mister wrote:
> Screen shots of os booting , os boot CLI , reinstallation are in this link of google drive

It looks like you are installing Qubes 3.1. Why not use the latest
version (which is Qubes 3.2) and let the installer use its default
settings - manual partitioning during Qubes installation is a bit tricky
(and somewhat bugged), better use the default automated way.

You may have hard times finding more help if you're not going with the
latest release...

Kind regards.

Hello Mister

Dec 16, 2016, 2:28:05 PM12/16/16
to qubes-users
My point is quite simple that I need to do is to recover my data , documents , scripts in my installed os qube os r3.0 which was installed few months back. I tried to reinstall with the same media of r3.0, so that I can reset or lookout for reset of passphrase or somehow unlock the passphrase.

Hello Mister

Dec 16, 2016, 2:28:56 PM12/16/16
to qubes-users
I would advice to have a relook at all the screenshots for a clear insight.

Hello Mister

Dec 16, 2016, 2:49:41 PM12/16/16
to qubes-users
Ofcourse if I can get any kind of mean help would solve my data recovery easy going ...

Hello Mister

Dec 16, 2016, 11:46:38 PM12/16/16
to qubes-users, hellomi...@gmail.com

I have files in the OS filesystem , though not on the disposable VM's.
These need to be backedup.

Andrew David Wong

Dec 17, 2016, 12:30:43 AM12/17/16
to Hello Mister, qubes-users

On 2016-12-16 20:46, Hello Mister wrote:

> When you say "the manual partitioning step," are you referring to
> this guide?
>
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/custom-install/
>
> If not, to what are you referring? (The installer itself should not
> require any manual partitioning.)
>
> P.S. - Please do not top-post, and please keep the list CCed.

> I have files in the OS filesystem , though not on the disposable
> VM's. These need to be backedup.

So, if I understand correctly, your goal is to decrypt your previous
LUKS-encrypted Qubes installation so that you can recover files from
it, right?

When you attempt to boot this installation normally, what happens? The
same LUKS error as above?

Have you tried accessing the disk from the command-line, e.g., using a
Live OS? (You can also just use the Qubes installer for this.) Or is
that what you were trying to do when you encountered the LUKS error
above?

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org

Hello Mister

Dec 17, 2016, 6:22:44 AM12/17/16
to qubes-users

So, if I understand correctly, your goal is to decrypt your previous

LUKS-encrypted Qubes installation so that you can recover files from
it, right?

== >> Yes please

When you attempt to boot this installation normally, what happens? The
same LUKS error as above?

== >> Same error after a long wait both in GUI & CLI

Have you tried accessing the disk from the command-line, e.g., using a
Live OS? (You can also just use the Qubes installer for this.) Or is
that what you were trying to do when you encountered the LUKS error
above?

== >> Yes please , with installation source media

Swâmi Petaramesh

Dec 17, 2016, 6:49:10 AM12/17/16
to Hello Mister, qubes-users
Le 17/12/2016 à 12:22, Hello Mister a écrit :
>> When you attempt to boot this installation normally, what happens? The
>> same LUKS error as above?
>
> == >> Same error after a long wait both in GUI & CLI

I'm afraid that you may have, by starting a reinstallation over a
LUKS partition, thus irremediably destroying all of its contents.

I would advise you to boot from a live distro such as Partition Magic
(Or an Ubuntu or Mint live CD), and WITHOUT starting any installer, try
to manually

# cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sda2 open_sda2

...If your passphrase works that's good. if it doesn't, that's probably
dead.

Good luck !

Andrew David Wong

Dec 17, 2016, 7:08:01 AM12/17/16
to Swâmi Petaramesh, Hello Mister, qubes-users

Swâmi Petaramesh

Dec 17, 2016, 7:22:52 AM12/17/16
to Andrew David Wong, qubes-users
Le 17/12/2016 à 13:07, Andrew David Wong a écrit :

>> # cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sda2 open_sda2
>
>> ...If your passphrase works that's good. if it doesn't, that's
>> probably dead.
>

> Yes, this is the third thing I was asking about. However, it's not
> necessary to use a live OS to do this. (You can if you want, of
> course.) As I mentioned above, the Qubes installer will work fine for
> this purpose if you switch over to a virtual console (e.g., ctrl + alt
> + F2). (Of course, you don't want to actually try to run the installer
> in this situation!)

My point was that some distros have live version (or even ISOs that are
especially meant to be used as a live tool such as Partition Magic),
that will be much more comfortable using in a clean GUI, than an ISO
which is meant as a bare installer - And you'll be less prone to
starting it by mistake if the installer isn't there ;-)

Kind regards.
signature.asc

Andrew David Wong

Dec 17, 2016, 7:47:16 AM12/17/16
to Swâmi Petaramesh, qubes-users

Hello Mister

Dec 17, 2016, 12:55:20 PM12/17/16
to qubes-users, hellomi...@gmail.com
Luks error started way before I even thought of reinstallation attempt.

Swâmi Petaramesh

Dec 18, 2016, 3:09:25 AM12/18/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, hellomister1001@gmail.com >> Hello Mister
Le 17/12/2016 à 18:55, Hello Mister a écrit :
> Luks error started way before I even thought of reinstallation attempt.

So I'm very afraid that you definitely lost your data.