Problem with VMs not launching

BGW

Aug 11, 2020, 9:15:53 PM8/11/20
to qubes-users

I have just cross posted this verbatim from the reddit group in the hope that someone can hel[p me with this problems.

I have just encountered a weird problem. This is about a six month install of qubes 4. For some reason now my vms have stopped working. My standalones that I have installed all work ok, but the app vms now won't work. I can't remember if this applies to the templates and I'm not near the pc.

I have a personal debian app vm that starts automatically with qubes. I can't launch anything within the vm. If I stop the vm it will then restart automatically without being told to do so. But I still can't launch anything in the vm (browser, files etc).

Other vms which do not start automatically, when manually started do not work. And, like above, if I stop the vms once I have started them they will will restart themselves by themselves.

Things are up to date and it effects both the debian and fedora vms.

I hope that I've explained this well enough to be understood.

Anybody got any ideas what is going on? Thanks for any help.

awokd

Aug 12, 2020, 5:04:33 PM8/12/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
BGW:

> I have a personal debian app vm that starts automatically with qubes. I
> can't launch anything within the vm. If I stop the vm it will then restart
> automatically without being told to do so. But I still can't launch
> anything in the vm (browser, files etc).

Temporarily disable autostarting this appvm in case there's some type of
race condition, then reboot and retest.

> Other vms which do not start automatically, when manually started do not
> work. And, like above, if I stop the vms once I have started them they will
> will restart themselves by themselves.

Are the sys-* ones working correctly?

--
- don't top post
- trim quoted reply to only relevant portions

Ángel

Aug 14, 2020, 6:31:08 PM8/14/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 2020-08-11 at 18:15 -0700, BGW wrote:

> I hope that I've explained this well enough to be understood.
>
> Anybody got any ideas what is going on? Thanks for any help.

Try starting them from a dom0 console (qvm-start). Sometimes, you will
find there details that point to the solution, such as the VM requiring
a pci device that is already in use by a different one.

BGW

Aug 14, 2020, 7:06:33 PM8/14/20
to qubes-users

I managed to fix this problem but not identify why it occurred.  Simply reinstalling the debian-10 template got them working again minus the software that I had installed before.  Granted this does not identify the reason for the problem but it was a pretty easy fix.  If it happens again I'll investigate further.  But having used qubes for a number of years now this is the first time I've ever had even a gltich with it.

The only thing that I have done differently was to install Microsoft Teams.  It works perfectly, but its the only thing out of the ordinary.

Thank so much for the reply.  I appreciate you taking the time.