Dom0 (System tools) shortcuts suddenly disappeared

Otto Kratik

Jan 2, 2017, 11:35:14 PM1/2/17
to qubes-users
I am using Qubes R3.2. Suddenly almost all of the KDE shortcuts usually found under applications-> system tools have completely vanished. I have no konsole, file manager, system settings etc. Only four remain:

DispVM: Terminal
DispVM: Web Browser
Screen Capture Program
Software Management

Everything else is gone. They were there one minute, and then gone the next. I have performed Dom0 updates and rebooted afterward to see if it fixed the issue, without success.

What is the recommended course of action?

Message has been deleted

Otto Kratik

Jan 3, 2017, 1:26:02 AM1/3/17
to qubes-users
Is there any way to easily refresh/restore the System Tools shortcuts, without having to add each one back manually in some obscure way? I don't even remember what all the normal items under that menu are, but they suddenly just vanished without warning or explanation, and I have no idea whatsoever how to get them back. Can anyone please help?

Fred

Jan 3, 2017, 6:54:24 AM1/3/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 03/01/2017 04:35, Otto Kratik wrote:
> I am using Qubes R3.2. Suddenly almost all of the KDE shortcuts
> usually found under applications-> system tools have completely
> vanished. I have no konsole, file manager, system settings etc. Only
> four remain:

I can't help but I had this happen once using Xfce as the desktop. All
my 'start menu' disappeared bar a few.

I re-installed. Possibly a bug then in this case?

Otto Kratik

Jan 3, 2017, 12:55:43 PM1/3/17
to qubes-users, curious...@gmsl.co.uk
On Tuesday, January 3, 2017 at 6:54:24 AM UTC-5, Fred wrote:

> I can't help but I had this happen once using Xfce as the desktop. All
> my 'start menu' disappeared bar a few.

It happened to me at least once before under R3.1 as well, also randomly with no obvious or apparent cause. The System Tools menu items stayed gone for several weeks, then one day after new Dom0 updates they magically re-appeared again, with no explanation.

I can also confirm that at the login screen if I choose xfce as the desktop environment, the missing shortcut issue still persists, so it isn't an intrinsic KDE thing indeed, as surmised.

On a related note, I'm not even sure whether entries like "DispVM: Web Browser" are meant to appear under System Tools in R3.2, or if that is a menu glitch as well. Previously DispVM had its own top-level menu entry like any other AppVM, under which different app shortcuts appeared, so I don't know if something else has gone wrong.

Is there a text file somewhere in Dom0, from which the System Tools menu obtains its default list of items? And if so, is it possible for someone with a functioning menu to "dump" the contents of that file here in this thread, so that I can copy and paste them into my presumably broken source file here, if such a thing is even possible?

> I re-installed. Possibly a bug then in this case?

I would really, really, really like to avoid having to re-install my entire operating system just to fix some missing menu entries, especially since it could presumably happen again at any given time thereafter. No other template or app vm's are affected, only Dom0. Surely there must be some alternative way to fix this issue, without resorting to ssuch drastic measures. Anyone?

Otto Kratik

Jan 3, 2017, 1:12:50 PM1/3/17
to qubes-users
As one approach, is there any command that will force a re-download and re-install of ALL dom0 packages and components, despite cache showing them as already up to date? If one or more elements are broken or corrupted, a refresh update might do the trick.

Similar to if I'd made a dom0 backup and wanted to restore it completely. But since I don't have such a backup, can dom0 be effectively restored with a terminal command that will force-refresh everything from the repository?

Andrew David Wong

Jan 3, 2017, 4:32:11 PM1/3/17
to Otto Kratik, qubes-users, curious...@gmsl.co.uk

Otto Kratik

Jan 3, 2017, 4:48:58 PM1/3/17
to qubes-users, ottok...@gmail.com, curious...@gmsl.co.uk
On Tuesday, January 3, 2017 at 4:32:11 PM UTC-5, Andrew David Wong wrote:

> I'm afraid I don't have any special insight into this problem. (I
> vaguely recall that it happened to me once on 3.1, then I think I
> ignored the problem and it eventually reverted itself somehow.)
>
> However, it occurs to me that what you're asking about is primarily a
> KDE issue, and the information you seek should, in principle, be
> available from a KDE source (docs, devs) or even Fedora or another
> distro that uses KDE. To clarify: The *cause* may be Qubes-related (I
> have no idea), but the default file/list for KDE System Tools should
> probably be the same as in non-Qubes KDE installations. At least, it's
> worth checking.

The file may possibly be in the same place, but of course in the case of Qubes it is a customized one containing entries like "Qubes VM Manager" etc, so I would need that specific one. I don't know the default location.

Also as noted however, it makes no difference whether I use Xfce or KDE. In either case I have no menu item available anywhere for "Qubes VM Manager" which I normally would, so it is a pan-desktop-environment issue, likely related to Qubes itself rather than one of the DE's.

So far I have not found any solution to this, and am looking at a complete system re-install in order to fix one single interface issue.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jan 3, 2017, 6:02:09 PM1/3/17
to Otto Kratik, qubes-users

Otto Kratik

Jan 3, 2017, 7:12:28 PM1/3/17
to qubes-users, ottok...@gmail.com
On Tuesday, January 3, 2017 at 6:02:09 PM UTC-5, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki >

> Try running `xdg-desktop-menu forceupdate`.

Ran it as su from dom0 terminal. Command was accepted, but no noticeable effect or change, or output.

Unman

Jan 3, 2017, 8:55:58 PM1/3/17
to Otto Kratik, qubes-users
Have you checked the menu files?

For xfce, in /etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu you should have a
<Menu> section with <Name> System that references <Directory>
qubes-System-Tools.directory
There should be an <Include> section containing <All/>
and Excludes for X-Qubes_VM and X-Xfce-Toplevel

The actual desktop files should be in /usr/share/applications: check
that they are there.
Confirm the Categories of a sample desktop file.

I can't imagine that these have been deleted - if they have then you don't
need to reinstall, just replace the missing files.

let us know what you find (or not, as the case may be).

Otto Kratik

Jan 3, 2017, 10:38:20 PM1/3/17
to qubes-users, ottok...@gmail.com, un...@thirdeyesecurity.org
Here are the contents of the xfce-applications.menu file:

**********
<!DOCTYPE Menu PUBLIC "-//freedesktop//DTD Menu 1.0//EN"
"http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/menu-spec/1.0/menu.dtd">

<Menu>
<Name>Xfce</Name>

<!-- Read standard .directory and .desktop file locations -->
<DefaultAppDirs/>
<DefaultDirectoryDirs/>
<DefaultMergeDirs/>

<Include>
<Category>X-Xfce-Toplevel</Category>
</Include>
<Exclude>
<Filename>exo-file-manager.desktop</Filename>
<Filename>exo-mail-reader.desktop</Filename>
<Filename>exo-web-browser.desktop</Filename>
</Exclude>

<!-- Add stock tarball installs to menus -->
<AppDir>/usr/local/share/applications</AppDir>

<Layout>
<Filename>xfce4-run.desktop</Filename>
<Filename>exo-terminal-emulator.desktop</Filename>
<Separator/>
<Menuname>System</Menuname>
<Separator/>
<Merge type="all"/>
<Separator/>
<Filename>xfce4-about.desktop</Filename>
<Filename>xfce4-session-logout.desktop</Filename>
</Layout>

<Menu>
<Name>System</Name>
<Directory>qubes-System-Tools.directory</Directory>
<Include>
<All/>
</Include>
<Exclude>
<Category>X-Xfce-Toplevel</Category>
<Category>X-Qubes-VM</Category>
</Exclude>

<Layout>
<Filename>xfce-settings-manager.desktop</Filename>
<Separator/>
<Merge type="all"/>
</Layout>
</Menu>

<!-- Read in overrides and child menus from applications.d -->
<DefaultMergeDirs/>
</Menu>

***************

In /usr/share/applications I see:

kde (folfer)
kde4 (folder)
screensavers (folder)
gnome-mimeapps.list
kde-mimeapps.list
mimeapps.list
mineinfo.cache
xfce-mimeapps.list

Does that reveal anything? What should I be looking for within this location further?

Thanks...

Unman

Jan 4, 2017, 1:01:49 PM1/4/17
to Otto Kratik, qubes-users
I'd expect to see the .desktop files.
Here's a sample - save it as xfce4-terminal.desktop:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=Xfce Terminal
Name[ar]=طرفية إكسفس
Name[bg]=Xfce Терминал
Name[cs]=Terminál Xfce
Name[da]=Xfce Terminal
Name[de]=Xfce Terminal
Name[el]=Τερμαρικό XFCE
Name[en_AU]=Xfce Terminal
Name[en_GB]=Xfce Terminal
Name[es]=Terminal de Xfce
Name[eu]=Xfce terminala
Name[fi]=Xfce-pääte
Name[fr]=Terminal Xfce
Name[he]=מסוף Xfce
Name[hr]=Xfce terminal
Name[hu]=Xfce terminál
Name[id]=Terminal Xfce
Name[it]=Terminale di Xfce
Name[ja]=Xfce Terminal
Name[kk]=Xfce Terminal
Name[ko]=Xfce 터미널
Name[nl]=Xfce terminal
Name[oc]=Terminal Xfce
Name[pl]=Terminal Xfce
Name[pt]=Terminal Xfce
Name[pt_BR]=Xfce terminal
Name[ro]=Terminal Xfce
Name[ru]=Терминал Xfce
Name[sr]=ИксФЦЕ терминал
Name[th]=เทอร์มินัลของ Xfce
Name[tr]=Xfce Terminal
Name[ug]=Xfce تېرمىنالى
Name[uk]=Термінал XFCE
Name[zh_CN]=Xfce 终端
Name[zh_TW]=Xfce 終端機
Comment=Terminal Emulator
Comment[ar]=محاكي طرفية
Comment[ast]=Emulador de terminal
Comment[be]=Эмулятар тэрмінала
Comment[bg]=Терминален Емулатор
Comment[ca]=Emulador de terminal
Comment[cs]=Emulátor terminálu
Comment[da]=Terminal Emulator
Comment[de]=Terminal-Programm
Comment[el]=Προσομοίωση τερματικού
Comment[en_AU]=Terminal Emulator
Comment[en_GB]=Terminal Emulator
Comment[eo]=Terminala Simulilo
Comment[es]=Emulador de terminal
Comment[et]=Terminaliemulaator
Comment[eu]=Terminal emuladorea
Comment[fi]=Pääte-emulaattori
Comment[fr]=Émulateur de terminal
Comment[gl]=Emulador de terminal
Comment[he]=מדמה מסוף
Comment[hr]=Emulator terminala
Comment[hu]=Terminálemulátor
Comment[id]=Emulator Terminal
Comment[it]=Emulatore di Terminale
Comment[ja]=ターミナルエミュレーター
Comment[kk]=Терминал эмуляторы
Comment[ko]=터미널 에뮬레이터
Comment[lt]=Terminalo emuliatorius
Comment[lv]=Termināļa emulators
Comment[nb]=Teminalemulator
Comment[nl]=Terminalvenster
Comment[oc]=Emulator de terminal
Comment[pa]=ਟਰਮੀਨਲ ਈਮੂਲੇਟਰ
Comment[pl]=Emuluje działanie terminala X
Comment[pt]=Emulador de terminal
Comment[pt_BR]=Emulador de terminal
Comment[ro]=Emulator de terminal
Comment[ru]=Эмулятор терминала
Comment[sk]=Terminál Emulátor
Comment[sq]=Emulues Terminali
Comment[sr]=Емулатор терминала
Comment[sv]=Terminalemulator
Comment[te]=టెర్మినల్ ఎమ్యులేటర్
Comment[th]=โปรแกรมจำลองเทอร์มินัล
Comment[tr]=Uçbirim Öykünücüsü
Comment[ug]=تېرمىنال Emulator
Comment[uk]=Емулятор терміналу
Comment[ur]=ٹرمنل ایمولیٹر
Comment[ur_PK]=ٹرمنل ایمولیٹر
Comment[vi]=Trình giả lập Terminal
Comment[zh_CN]=终端模拟器
Comment[zh_TW]=終端機程式
GenericName=Terminal Emulator
GenericName[ar]=محاكي طرفية
GenericName[ast]=Emulador de terminal
GenericName[be]=Эмулятар тэрмінала
GenericName[bg]=Терминален Емулатор
GenericName[ca]=Emulador de terminal
GenericName[cs]=Emulátor terminálu
GenericName[da]=Terminal Emulator
GenericName[de]=Terminal-Programm
GenericName[el]=Προσομοίωση τερματικού
GenericName[en_AU]=Terminal Emulator
GenericName[en_GB]=Terminal Emulator
GenericName[eo]=Terminala Simulilo
GenericName[es]=Emulador de terminal
GenericName[et]=Terminaliemulaator
GenericName[eu]=Terminal emuladorea
GenericName[fi]=Pääte-emulaattori
GenericName[fr]=Émulateur de terminal
GenericName[gl]=Emulador de terminal
GenericName[he]=מדמה מסוף
GenericName[hr]=Emulator terminala
GenericName[hu]=Terminálemulátor
GenericName[id]=Emulator Terminal
GenericName[it]=Emulatore di Terminale
GenericName[ja]=ターミナルエミュレーター
GenericName[kk]=Терминал эмуляторы
GenericName[ko]=터미널 에뮬레이터
GenericName[lt]=Terminalo emuliatorius
GenericName[lv]=Termināļa emulators
GenericName[nb]=Teminalemulator
GenericName[nl]=Terminalvenster
GenericName[oc]=Emulator de terminal
GenericName[pa]=ਟਰਮੀਨਲ ਈਮੂਲੇਟਰ
GenericName[pl]=Emuluje działanie terminala X
GenericName[pt]=Emulador de terminal
GenericName[pt_BR]=Emulador de terminal
GenericName[ro]=Emulator de terminal
GenericName[ru]=Эмулятор терминала
GenericName[sk]=Terminál Emulátor
GenericName[sq]=Emulues Terminali
GenericName[sr]=Емулатор терминала
GenericName[sv]=Terminalemulator
GenericName[te]=టెర్మినల్ ఎమ్యులేటర్
GenericName[th]=โปรแกรมจำลองเทอร์มินัล
GenericName[tr]=Uçbirim Öykünücüsü
GenericName[ug]=تېرمىنال Emulator
GenericName[uk]=Емулятор терміналу
GenericName[ur]=ٹرمنل ایمولیٹر
GenericName[ur_PK]=ٹرمنل ایمولیٹر
GenericName[vi]=Trình giả lập Terminal
GenericName[zh_CN]=终端模拟器
GenericName[zh_TW]=終端機程式
Exec=xfce4-terminal
Icon=utilities-terminal
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=GTK;System;TerminalEmulator;
StartupNotify=true
X-Desktop-File-Install-Version=0.22

Otto Kratik

Jan 5, 2017, 8:19:13 PM1/5/17
On Wednesday, January 4, 2017 at 1:01:49 PM UTC-5, Unman wrote:

> I'd expect to see the .desktop files.
> Here's a sample - save it as xfce4-terminal.desktop:

Thanks for your efforts to assist with this. I copied the text you posted and saved it as a .desktop text file as you suggested, and then moved it into the /usr/share/applications folder of dom0, and then rebooted.

It doesn't seem to have had any effect, though it's hard to tell since the xfce "start menu" doesn't appear to even have a "system tools" menu entry to begin with, unlike the kde plasma one. There is a "System" menu at the very top, but that contains a whole gigantic mess of shortcuts from every VM I have, all jumbled together in one big chaotic list. However, clumped together midway through that menu are the few dom0 shortcuts I still have (apper, DispVM Browser etc) and there doesn't seem to be any new item referencing the xfce4 terminal.

Is there anything else I can try at this point? I've noticed that I keep getting notified that Qubes Dom0 updates are available, but whenever I run sudo qubes-dom0-update it reports no packages to download, nothing to update.

Any other ideas or suggestions would be more than welcome. Thanks.

Ángel

Jan 6, 2017, 5:05:38 AM1/6/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Otto Kratik wrote:
> Is there any way to easily refresh/restore the System Tools shortcuts, without having to add each one back manually in some obscure way? I don't even remember what all the normal items under that menu are, but they suddenly just vanished without warning or explanation, and I have no idea whatsoever how to get them back. Can anyone please help?

Look at /var/lib/qubes/appvms/*/whitelisted-appmenus.list

Do you still have those files listing the .desktop entries that should
be shown in the menu?

Regards

Otto Kratik

Jan 7, 2017, 5:28:44 PM1/7/17
to qubes-users, qu...@16bits.net
On Friday, January 6, 2017 at 5:05:38 AM UTC-5, Ángel wrote:

> Do you still have those files listing the .desktop entries that should
> be shown in the menu?

Seeing no other recourse, I opted to re-install my entire operating system in order to correct the menu issue, prior to having a chance to check this specific item. Thank you for the suggestion though, nonetheless.
Message has been deleted

Rusty Bird

Sep 25, 2018, 4:59:41 AM9/25/18
to Patrick, qubes-users