Running rkt containers directly on zen?

Naja Melan

Jan 1, 2018, 12:35:32 PM1/1/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

While searching on the internet I stumbled onto this:

https://github.com/rkt/stage1-xen

Would this work on qubes? Anyone already doing it?

Also found some stuff about rumprun unikernels allowing directly running any posix app on xen. It seems awfully quiet about such initiatives, which puzzles me because surely being able to run applications in total isolation without the overhead (memory, disk, cpu) of a full linux install is very interesting for something like qubes right?

What is the current state of affairs?

Naja Melan

Unman

Jan 2, 2018, 8:34:12 PM1/2/18
to Naja Melan, qubes...@googlegroups.com
There's actually been some discussion on unikernels for at least the
last 2 years, both in qubes-users and qubes-devel.
Thomas Leonard has implemented a minimal sys-firewall as a MirageOS-based unikernel:
- http://roscidus.com/blog/blog/2016/01/01/a-unikernel-firewall-for-qubesos/
- https://github.com/talex5/qubes-mirage-firewall

and recently, (19/12/2017) announced v 0.4 on this list

Naja Melan

Jan 10, 2018, 8:21:48 PM1/10/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Yes,

thanks, I have installed Mirage Firewall.

Some more info that might interest people here. I got some answers from a developer of stage1-xen rkt:

https://github.com/rkt/stage1-xen/issues/1#issuecomment-356764768

Also in December Xen launched a new initiative for unikernals, called unikraft. This is an initiative to make a standard for unikernels that makes development and deployment of them easier:

https://www.xenproject.org/developers/teams/unikraft.html

Im looking forward to a time where most things in Qubes will be running in unikernels rather than in full Linux.

Imagine having a unikernel that does all sanitation and validation of data that gets sent cross domain, well documented, tested written in Rust for performance and safety, with a whitelist approach, rather than all of those python, bash and C scripts doing their own sanitation and validation.

It would be much more sane in terms of security, much easier to audit, ...

What about wayland in a unikernel, the graphics drivers, ...?