Most Secure way to encrypt your usb stick ?

lakschmi

Oct 22, 2016, 8:09:10 AM10/22/16
to qubes-users
have sensitive data on your usb stick?

whats the best way to encrypt/decrypt it?

normally I use whonix-ws pgp and encrypt every file but Id rather have a different method

is there a way to install the tails os ecryption system in qubes os?
I prefere it over the whonix workstation system.

7v5w7go9ub0o

Oct 22, 2016, 8:55:11 AM10/22/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

On 10/22/2016 12:09 PM, lakschmi wrote:
> have sensitive data on your usb stick?
>
> whats the best way to encrypt/decrypt it?
>

> normally I use whonix-ws pgp and encrypt every file but Id rather have a different method

I can't help you - sorry - but I suspect someone might ask:

1. Do you need to have individually-encrypted files?

2. If yes, are they the same key?

3. Would mounting the USB stick as an encrypted volume be satisfactory?
> is there a way to install the tails os ecryption system in qubes os?
> I prefere it over the whonix workstation system.

Can't help here either. But you might get some interesting replies if
you indicated WHY you would prefer tails over whonix - understanding
that R4.x may allow you to run the two whonix components as DispVMs.

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)

Oct 22, 2016, 9:03:06 AM10/22/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 10/22/2016 12:09 PM, lakschmi wrote:
Install gnome-disks on the template of whonix-ws (then power off
template, and power on the actual machine), then plug your USB, then use
qubes-manager to passthru the USB to your VM, then open gnome-disks.

From there you can format the disk with LUKS encryption and FAT32 inside
the encrypted container.

After doing so, every time you plug it back in, and pass it thru, just
open the file manager and click on the drive in the sidebar. This will
prompt you for your password and voila, decrypted.

--
Rudd-O
http://rudd-o.com/

0137840913278409178243094213

Oct 22, 2016, 9:33:24 AM10/22/16
to qubes-users
Hello lakschmi,

you might check out a poly morph encryption PMC, but this runs inside Win7 on the application layer.

http://www.pmc-ciphers.com/xcontent/Applications/TurboCrypt.html

http://www.pmc-ciphers.com/xcontent/Software-products/TurboCrypt-Disk-Encryption/1024-Bit-Encryption.html

Up to now, nobody can crack the 38 Bit challenge.

But if you like to see it one day on linux, you might imitate some donation, today it is running on windows only with 256 bit.

Kind Regards

Andrew David Wong

Oct 23, 2016, 4:11:00 AM10/23/16
to lakschmi, qubes-users