cannot remove/create VM exists and doesn't exist

Max Andersen

Dec 31, 2017, 11:36:41 PM12/31/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I created a win7 HVM as per instructions here:

And it installed nicely. After applying windows updates and
qubes-windows-tools, the VM wouldn't start, so I thought I'd remove it
and recreate it all over again, but I get an error:

libvirtError: operation failed: domain 'win7' already exists with uuid ....

I can see it with "sudo virsh list -all" a it shows:

-     win7      Shut off

Any ideas on how to remove it since a new remove syas it isn't there
anymore?

qvm-remove win7
A VM with the name 'win7' does not exist in the system

Sincerely
Max

awokd

Jan 1, 2018, 5:32:39 AM1/1/18
to Max Andersen, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, January 1, 2018 4:36 am, 'Max Andersen' via qubes-users wrote:

> libvirtError: operation failed: domain 'win7' already exists with uuid

Sometimes a reboot clears up discrepancies like that for me.

Max Andersen

Jan 1, 2018, 5:42:01 AM1/1/18
to aw...@danwin1210.me, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi awokd
I’m sorry, I tried that, after restarting the libvirtd service and that didn’t work.

Thank you for your reply

Soncerely
Max

awokd

Jan 1, 2018, 5:53:03 AM1/1/18
to Max Andersen, aw...@danwin1210.me, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Can try to rename Win7 to Win7b. There is also a "virsh destroy" but
ordinarily you shouldn't have to use that.

Max Andersen

Jan 1, 2018, 7:40:14 AM1/1/18
to aw...@danwin1210.me, qubes...@googlegroups.com
I cannot rename or do a simple list with qvm-prefs. Only with virsh, so
there must be a discrepancy between the 2.

qvm-ls shows no win7, but virsh does.

Sincerely
Max

Max Andersen

Jan 1, 2018, 8:38:49 AM1/1/18
to aw...@danwin1210.me, qubes...@googlegroups.com
I started up the virsh shell, typed 'undefine win7', and started all
over. That worked.

Thank you for your efforts, awokd

Sincerely
Max

Lorenzo Guerra

Jan 1, 2018, 8:44:10 AM1/1/18
to qubes-users
Mine is just a guess: have you tried with something like 'virsh -c xen:/// undefine win7' and then, if some references to your vm remains in qubes.xml or the Application menus, manually remove them?

awokd

Jan 1, 2018, 8:47:04 AM1/1/18
to Lorenzo Guerra, qubes-users
Sounds like that worked for Max. "Destroy" doesn't also undefine?

m...@militant.dk

Jan 2, 2018, 5:37:53 PM1/2/18
to qubes-users
Den mandag den 1. januar 2018 kl. 14.44.10 UTC+1 skrev Lorenzo Guerra:
> Mine is just a guess: have you tried with something like 'virsh -c xen:/// undefine win7' and then, if some references to your vm remains in qubes.xml or the Application menus, manually remove them?

Great guess. undefine works perfectly, thank you

Sincerely
Max

m...@militant.dk

Jan 2, 2018, 5:38:41 PM1/2/18
to qubes-users

Nope. Destroy didn't work. I tried that first, thank you

Sincerely
Max