Install Failing on Lenovo Yoya Pro 2

James Young

Feb 11, 2017, 3:49:02 PM2/11/17
to qubes-users
I am attempting to install Qubes from USB on a Lenvo Yoga Pro 2. GUI is not starting and only getting text message. When selecting the install option the screen only flashes and then returns to the menu

Has anyone faced this issue before or have any suggestions?

m...@militant.dk

Nov 22, 2017, 6:58:54 AM11/22/17
to qubes-users
Den lørdag den 11. februar 2017 kl. 21.49.02 UTC+1 skrev James Young:
> I am attempting to install Qubes from USB on a Lenvo Yoga Pro 2. GUI is not starting and only getting text message. When selecting the install option the screen only flashes and then returns to the menu
>
> Has anyone faced this issue before or have any suggestions?

I just faced this issue, and tried every possible setting in BIOS to no avail. Did you find a solution?

Sincerely
Max

awokd

Nov 22, 2017, 7:21:10 AM11/22/17
to m...@militant.dk, qubes-users
Try legacy boot or burning to a DVD instead.

Max

Nov 22, 2017, 8:57:13 AM11/22/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi awokd,

Thank you for your response. I have tried to reset BIOS, deselect UEFI /
select legacy, but other errors come up. Missing hardware support VT-d,
etc, and Interrupt Remapping, so it would be perfect if setup succeeded
with another user, using this specific laptop.

The Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro has no DVD, so I hoped the USB would suffice. I
might test this further with 3.2.

Thank you again for your reply. I've pasted screenshots here, if
something stares you in the face :):

https://pasteboard.co/GUPAgPV.png
https://pasteboard.co/GUPAx1x.png
https://pasteboard.co/GUPAKm1.png

Sincerely

Max

awokd

Nov 22, 2017, 9:45:51 AM11/22/17
to Max, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, November 22, 2017 13:57, 'Max' via qubes-users wrote:
> Hi awokd,
>
> Thank you for your response. I have tried to reset BIOS, deselect UEFI /
> select legacy, but other errors come up. Missing hardware support VT-d,
> etc, and Interrupt Remapping, so it would be perfect if setup succeeded
> with another user, using this specific laptop.

Legacy/UEFI boot mode should not affect processor features. Check to see
if there's a newer BIOS available for your laptop? If there is, it might
help with the installer too.

Unfortunately, Xen issues with UEFI are pretty common. Search this mailing
list for "EFI 4.0" (or maybe "Lenovo EFI 4.0" in your case). You could
also look at https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/uefi-troubleshooting/ but it
might be more 3.2 specific. I've managed to work around UEFI issues on a
Lenovo before by booting Refind from a USB key, then the installer from
that. Sorry I don't have a silver bullet!

m...@militant.dk

Nov 22, 2017, 2:09:27 PM11/22/17
to awokd, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello again,

I tried to ignore the "Missing hardware support" error and found this to
be a possible similar issue with wrongful detection (Since my BIOS shows
vanderpool support):

It seems the installer accepted my configuration and the system gets
installed(?).

My issue is now that the menu looks nothing like version 3, and I have
no qubes related that works. I have "Qubes Global Settings", that fails.
I cannot update dom0, and gets an error.

I've uploaded screenshot at imgur, and any help will be appreciated:
https://i.imgur.com/Te3bH9I.png

Sincerely
Max

Yuraeitha

Nov 22, 2017, 2:27:19 PM11/22/17
to qubes-users

I can see from your screenshot that you're trying to install Qubes 4, and you commented that you have no VT-D. You mayde sure its not just disabled?

Write "lscpu" in your dom0 terminal, and find the CPU processor name. Then you can yourself, or put the name here and we can do it for you, quickly check if your CPU supports VT-D or not.

Qubes 4 is much more strict towards missing hardware support than Qubes 3.2. Specifically the security/privacy hardware support features. Qubes is meant to be about security, by making it only install on security enabling hardware, falls within reasonable so that no one install Qubes on unsafe hardware, and thereby falsely believe to be "safe".

The most dangerous kind of lack of security around, is ironically not technical of nature. The most dangerous one, is the attitude, or belief, that you're safe, when you in fact are not. Think of it like ancient humans sleeping on the havana, and lions sneak around in the grass. Because you're not on watch, i.e. build a house or barricaded a cave entrance, then you'll likely die pretty darn fast. The same applies to Qubes, this move, in my view, is the developers kindly pushing us all to buy VT-D (and similar) security enabling hardware.

However, you can probably still install Qubes 3.3 and sleep on the hanava just fine. The type of attacks that affect you, are rare enough, to justify Qubes 3.2. on a no VT-D (or similar tech) machine. And it's more likely to work on a non VT-D machine, than Qubes 4 which require VT-D instead of just recommending it.

Also Qubes 3.2. should be updated for a while yet, https://www.qubes-os.org/news/2016/09/02/4-0-minimum-requirements-3-2-extended-support/

m...@militant.dk

Nov 22, 2017, 3:10:43 PM11/22/17
to Yuraeitha, qubes-users

Yuraeitha skrev den 22.11.2017 20:27:
snip---

> I can see from your screenshot that you're trying to install Qubes 4,
> and you commented that you have no VT-D. You mayde sure its not just
> disabled?

I have VT-x ,but not VT-d :
https://ark.intel.com/products/75460/Intel-Core-i7-4500U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_00-GHz

> Write "lscpu" in your dom0 terminal, and find the CPU processor name.
> Then you can yourself, or put the name here and we can do it for you,
> quickly check if your CPU supports VT-D or not.

Thank you. Output is the above CPU.

> Qubes 4 is much more strict towards missing hardware support than
> Qubes 3.2. Specifically the security/privacy hardware support
> features. Qubes is meant to be about security, by making it only
> install on security enabling hardware, falls within reasonable so that
> no one install Qubes on unsafe hardware, and thereby falsely believe
> to be "safe".

A very solid point. A mere mention of the implications should suffice in
my book, then the choice could be mine and my choice to compromise,
evaluating the risk involved. Then I would not think to be 100% safe,
but actually be safer than running a non qubes-OS.

> The most dangerous kind of lack of security around, is ironically not
> technical of nature. The most dangerous one, is the attitude, or
> belief, that you're safe, when you in fact are not. Think of it like
> ancient humans sleeping on the havana, and lions sneak around in the
> grass. Because you're not on watch, i.e. build a house or barricaded a
> cave entrance, then you'll likely die pretty darn fast. The same
> applies to Qubes, this move, in my view, is the developers kindly
> pushing us all to buy VT-D (and similar) security enabling hardware.

And that is a really good idea. Nudging works, but pushing works better
;) I believe that I'm never truly safe, but only "safer" using Qubes,
than if running another setup. Being a 100% safe is utopia in my book.
Just want to go as far as my brain and hardware takes me. Apparently
that is not far enough in version 4's case.

> However, you can probably still install Qubes 3.3 and sleep on the
> hanava just fine. The type of attacks that affect you, are rare
> enough, to justify Qubes 3.2. on a no VT-D (or similar tech) machine.
> And it's more likely to work on a non VT-D machine, than Qubes 4 which
> require VT-D instead of just recommending it.

I'm waiting for my new notebook that has actual VT-d
support(https://ark.intel.com/products/88194), so it seems that my
pre-training on version 4 collapsed with the above setup :)

> Also Qubes 3.2. should be updated for a while yet,
> https://www.qubes-os.org/news/2016/09/02/4-0-minimum-requirements-3-2-extended-support/`

thank you very much for your time and feedback.

Sincerely
Max

Yuraeitha

Nov 22, 2017, 3:30:59 PM11/22/17
to qubes-users

Your welcome :)
I hope your new laptop will run Qubes 4 smoothly, it can be a hit and miss sometimes, but generally you can reduce the risk by i.e. checking if it supports VT-D, like you already did :)

I definitely agree too that more could be done to communicate, sadly, despite how pretty awesome Qubes is, communication with its communicate, seems to be its weak point. Most people around here seem to care about each others, it's just, there is so little organizing and corporation, both within the community, and between the community and developers.

But having said that, the developers are awesome to step in and help fix user issues, despite being so busy. It's just, I think at least, that Qubes could use more staff members to help fostering the community a bit more. I.e. like you said, help communicate so people don't fall into security traps, instead of relying purely on OS system designs to make sure people don't get into trouble. A mix of both, seems like a good balance.

m...@militant.dk

Nov 23, 2017, 8:52:17 AM11/23/17
to Yuraeitha, qubes-users

Yuraeitha skrev den 22.11.2017 21:30:

snip---

>> thank you very much for your time and feedback.
>>
>> Sincerely
>> Max
>
> Your welcome :)
> I hope your new laptop will run Qubes 4 smoothly, it can be a hit and
> miss sometimes, but generally you can reduce the risk by i.e. checking
> if it supports VT-D, like you already did :)

My Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro, runs 3.2 smoothly, with only a few bumps on the
road. The steep learning curve is the personal setup I think, and the
muscle memory on what to use, when :)

> I definitely agree too that more could be done to communicate, sadly,
> despite how pretty awesome Qubes is, communication with its
> communicate, seems to be its weak point. Most people around here seem
> to care about each others, it's just, there is so little organizing
> and corporation, both within the community, and between the community
> and developers.

Fair enough.

I actually installed 3.2 and found some interesting solutions to
annoying things, an example such as fedora goes amok in large fonts with
high resolution displays that have been scaled down( solution is to
install gnome-tweak-tool in fedora and scale down and up again,
resetting the system). That works. These things, I would like to share
with others, if they run a laptop with a screen resolution of 3200x1800
scaled down. I might have provided a simple guide to Yoga 2 Pro users,
but I think it won't be worth the hasle, when 3.2 soon hits EOL. But
experience is always best, shared.

> But having said that, the developers are awesome to step in and help
> fix user issues, despite being so busy. It's just, I think at least,
> that Qubes could use more staff members to help fostering the
> community a bit more. I.e. like you said, help communicate so people
> don't fall into security traps, instead of relying purely on OS system
> designs to make sure people don't get into trouble. A mix of both,
> seems like a good balance.

Yes, I have been grateful for your help, and hopefully the Qubes 4.x
setup will break and not continue, if Qubes 4 cannot work without VT-D.
A warning sign should only be enough if the setup works.

It seems we have meetups, promoting privacy and security (and Qubes)
here in Copenhagen, so I might follow up with these guys. Promoting
Qubes seems like a necessity these days.

Thanks again and take care.
Sincerely
Max

max.mi...@gmail.com

May 23, 2018, 5:39:11 AM5/23/18
to qubes-users
torsdag den 23. november 2017 kl. 14.52.17 UTC+1 skrev m...@militant.dk:
> Yuraeitha skrev den 22.11.2017 21:30:
>
> snip---

> I actually installed 3.2 and found some interesting solutions to

> annoying things, an example such as fedora goes amok in large fonts with
> high resolution displays that have been scaled down( solution is to
> install gnome-tweak-tool in fedora and scale down and up again,
> resetting the system). That works. These things, I would like to share
> with others, if they run a laptop with a screen resolution of 3200x1800
> scaled down. I might have provided a simple guide to Yoga 2 Pro users,
> but I think it won't be worth the hasle, when 3.2 soon hits EOL. But
> experience is always best, shared.

I received an update a week or so back, taht reset my fedora-template fonts and sizing, that I had to erdo the aobe, so I wrote a guide, in case other high-resolution laptops use Qubes

https://www.militant.dk/2018/05/21/qubes-3-2-fedora-26-large-icons-and-large-fonts-on-lenovo-yoga-2-pro-high-resolution-laptop/

Sincerely
Max