question about setting up VPN proxy vm

Brian LoBue

Jan 23, 2017, 5:20:26 PM1/23/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I'm attempting to follow the docs here: https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/vpn/

and setup a proxyVM so I can tunnel traffic to a vpn for other appvms.

I've setup the proxyVM and added the network-manager service in the vm's
configuration.

The docs next say to:

"3. Setup your VPN as described in the NetworkManager documentation
linked above."

When I try and configure a VPN in the icon in the window manager tray I
think it's setting up the vpn for sys-net. Is there a way to start the
NetworkManager service for the proxyVM? Do I start the
NetworkConnections app? I think this is a user error issue but I can't
seem to get the proxyVM's networking setup.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Kopimi Security

Jan 24, 2017, 3:28:16 AM1/24/17
to qubes-users, blob...@gmail.com
On Monday, January 23, 2017 at 11:20:26 PM UTC+1, Brian LoBue wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm attempting to follow the docs here: https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/vpn/
>
> and setup a proxyVM so I can tunnel traffic to a vpn for other appvms.

I would recommend just using the command-line scripts, such as openvpn <settings-file>.

Please give it a try, I will help you after you have tried yourself.

Matt P

Jan 24, 2017, 8:40:18 AM1/24/17
to qubes-users, blob...@gmail.com
I also just went through following that guide. I did not have luck with the network manager service and ended up using the iptables scripts. At the very least I suggest trying to start openvpn in a terminal in your proxyvm to make sure it's connecting ok.

01v3g4n10

Jan 24, 2017, 9:13:10 AM1/24/17
On Monday, January 23, 2017 at 4:20:26 PM UTC-6, Brian LoBue wrote:

> I've setup the proxyVM and added the network-manager service in the vm's
> configuration.
>
> The docs next say to:
>
> "3. Setup your VPN as described in the NetworkManager documentation
> linked above."
>
> When I try and configure a VPN in the icon in the window manager tray I
> think it's setting up the vpn for sys-net. Is there a way to start the
> NetworkManager service for the proxyVM? Do I start the
> NetworkConnections app? I think this is a user error issue but I can't
> seem to get the proxyVM's networking setup.

internetz.me has put together two very good video tutorials of setting up a vpn using both methods in the docs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYEmDZebow4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1_zqT7_N7k