How to attach a Yubikey as a normal, extra usb keyboard only to specific AppVMs?

@LeeteqXV (Twitter)

Jan 4, 2017, 10:01:12 AM1/4/17
to qubes-users
I have followed this guide: https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/usb/

And I can see the Yubikey, and attach it to the AppVM, then see that it
is attached to the AppVM with the qvm-usb command.

However, nothing happens inside the AppVM when I push the Yubikey button
to send the password to the field with the cursor, neither in a browser
window nor in Gedit.

As far as I know, the Yubikeys are identifying themselves as a 100%
standard keyboard without the need for any driver on any system, so the
push of its button should be understood by the Qube to be normal
keyboard key presses.

What may be wrong?

Regards,

@LeeteqXV

wes....@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2017, 12:11:56 PM1/4/17
to qubes-users, teqle...@leeteq.com
Good Luck @LeeteqXV

I haven't yet tried to get my yubikey to work but that is on my to-do list. I hope you are able to deduce the problem and get it working. Still troubleshooting my wifi problems. Ugh...fml

Andrew David Wong

Jan 4, 2017, 10:44:26 PM1/4/17
to @LeeteqXV (Twitter), qubes-users

wes....@gmail.com

Jan 7, 2017, 1:40:08 PM1/7/17
to qubes-users, teqle...@leeteq.com
I was able to get my yubikey to work in this personal vm but for the life of me I wasn't able to use it to authenticate with my gmail on this login.

I followed the instruction where you add the info to the qubes.InputKeyboard file then it worked. You'll know you've configured that file correctly if you get the popup.

I'm still not able to get my smart card reader to work even though I think i've followed all the instructions. I'm gonna use all these same tricks and see if I can get it to work in the Win7 HVM...FML

B4U2D0

miguel

Aug 7, 2017, 1:06:27 PM8/7/17
to qubes-users, teqle...@leeteq.com
Did you manage to find a solution? I have the same exact problem. USBVM sees usb fine and pass it to AppVM without a problem but the yubikey simply doesnt do anything inside the Appvm even the yubico personalization tool does not detect a yubikey connected even though qvm-usb shows that the Yubikey is properly connected and lsusb inside the VM also shows Yubico connected.

regards,
Miguel

Daniel Moerner

Aug 8, 2017, 2:54:05 PM8/8/17
to qubes-users, teqle...@leeteq.com, mig...@bluefrostsecurity.de
On Monday, August 7, 2017 at 1:06:27 PM UTC-4, miguel wrote:
> Did you manage to find a solution? I have the same exact problem. USBVM sees usb fine and pass it to AppVM without a problem but the yubikey simply doesnt do anything inside the Appvm even the yubico personalization tool does not detect a yubikey connected even though qvm-usb shows that the Yubikey is properly connected and lsusb inside the VM also shows Yubico connected.

Hi,

I have a Yubikey 4, and I have no problems using the Yubikey with appVMs on a fresh install of Qubes R3.2, no extra configuration required.

I use the following script to attach it to specific VMs, and then it works perfectly with Google Chrome:

#!/bin/bash
# Usage: yubi <vm-name>

USB_DEVICE="$(qvm-usb | grep Yubikey | cut -f1)"

# If no device, just exit
if [ -z "$USB_DEVICE" ]; then
echo "No device attached"
exit
fi

# If no argument, then just detach.
if [ $# -eq 0 ]; then
echo "No argument, detaching device"
qvm-usb -d "$USB_DEVICE"
exit
fi

# If we have an argument, detach first as a precaution.
qvm-usb | grep "$USB_DEVICE" | grep -q "(attached to"
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
echo "Device already attached, detaching first"
qvm-usb -d "$USB_DEVICE"
sleep 1
fi

echo "Attaching device to $1"