Broken qrexec after trying to install qubes-windows-tools in Windows 7 HVM in R4.1

Four

Apr 9, 2020, 10:43:35 PM4/9/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I mistakenly tried installing the qubes-windows-tools in a fresh windows 7 vm, and while most things seemed to work, I must have done something to break something to do with qrexec rpc calls.

Most inter-vm communication fails with some kind of request refused error. For example, I cannot use qvm-copy or qvm-copy-to-vm. Another error is when I'm trying to update Dom0. Packages are downloaded, but before trying to install them, I receive the following error:

'/usr/lib/qubes/qrexec-client-vm dom0 qubes.ReceiveUpdates /usr/lib/qubes/qfile-agent /var/lib/qubes/dom0-updates/packages/*.rpm' failed with exit code 126!

I'm not really sure where else to look for proper logs, so please let me know, I'd be happy to provide them regardless of if this is something I can fix. Right now I've resorted to backing up my qubes to sys-usb, since the backup utility in Qube Manager does not recognize any other VMs. I'm sure this is something to do with the changed in qrexec in 4.1 from 4.0, but don't have quite enough of an understanding to say what exactly.

Also, while backing up, I see I have the option to backup Dom0, but is this advised in this situation? I do have some files I'd like to backup there, and since I can't send them to another qube, I'm not really sure how else to go about backing them up .. either way I'll figure it out since they are mainly just scripts I've written in the past few days, but it'd be nice to find a way to save them somewhere if I do need to reinstall to fix this issue.

Please let me know where to start/look for a fix if you understand what the issue is a bit more than myself.

Thanks in advance..

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

Tech Chris

Apr 10, 2020, 12:43:08 PM4/10/20
to qubes-users
Oh no.. I feel the pain. I had a similar disaster, I got a 2nd ssd and installed windows on its own ssd. Physically remove qubes drive before installing windows and vise versa. I had to reinstall qubes os.. I was able to save most of my stuff by creating each qube disk image mouting to usb and then dumping the files into new qubes. What a disaster! But I cant get away from qubes, Im addicted! LoL I made it! Have fun!