.odt files and LibreOffice

IntersolarMN

Nov 11, 2016, 6:09:39 AM11/11/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
> Hello,
>
> Thank you for your work on Qubes. Note: I haven't used Linux in more than a decade. I have installed Qubes and there's a couple of things I haven't learned yet. Despite installing multiple word processors, none of my .odt files will open via Qubes. I think I need step by step command lines to run in terminal to install LibreOffice onto every Domain, Template, and Workspace and in their respective Shortcut list. Also, LibreOffice is no longer listed in Software when I attempt to reinstall it via GUI.
>
> Also, when opening a Word Processing application, I can never browse or even see a USB drive, even after mounting it. I would like the system, including my Domain: work Web Browser,  to always see and browse the thumb drive if possible.

Qubes Version 3.2 R3.2
Intel core i3 2.4GHz
4096MB SDRAM DDR3
120GB SSD

Thank you.

Unman

Nov 11, 2016, 7:36:41 AM11/11/16
to IntersolarMN, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello IntersolarMN,

Welcome to Qubes.

I'm not quite clear on what your problem is, but let's start with the
basics.

LibreOffice - you should install this in a template, and then it will be
available in each qube based on that template.
Assuming that you have the standard templates installed, it's just a
matter of opening Software for the fedora-23 template and installing it
there.
When you restart your work qube you should find that LibreOffice is
available. If not, please provide more details of changes you have made
to the defaults and the templates you are using.

On the USB question, the critical point is what you mean by "after
mounting it".
Assuming that you installed with a sys-usb, when you insert a USB drive
it will be attached to the sys-usb qube. You need to then attach the
device to the qube you want to work in: you can do this using the
manager or the command line, qvm-block tool.
Once you have attached the device to your "work" qube, it will be present
as /dev/xvdi, and you should then mount the device in that qube. Once
you have done so you will find that you can see the USB contents
available in the "work" qube.

I hope this is clear. If you have done all this and it isn't working,
please provide a more detailed account of what you have done and what
templates you are using, and exactly what errors you see.

Sometimes it takes time to get used to a new OS, and the security
structure of Qubes adds a few extra wrinkles, but stick with it, and
everything will become second nature.

unman

Unman

Nov 11, 2016, 9:14:47 PM11/11/16
On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 08:12:18PM -0500, IntersolarMN wrote:
> Thank you for the tips. I'm still struggling with this, however.
>
> In order to obtain a copy of the LibreOffice install file onto the
> Template: fedora23 domain, I'll need some new steps.
>
> I can launch the Web Browser from the Template: fedora23 domain, but
> it will not go to any website, including the LibreOffice website or
> Google. SERVER NOT FOUND error occurs.
>
> I have launched a Web Browser from both an [untrusted] and [work]
> domain, and was able to download copies of the
> LibreOffice_5.1.6_Linux_x86-64_rpm.tar.gz file to both of these
> domains' Download folders.
>
> I cannot, however, copy either version of the install file to the
> Fedora23 domain, even when using CTRL/SHIFT/C followed by
> CTRL/SHIFT/V. Perhaps it could be done in Terminal, but I would need
> to ask someone for the commands and directories to do this.
>
> If I attempt to launch Software from within Fedora23, there are no
> office or word processor options launching, and not even searching for
> Libre will help.
>
> Can someone provide the directory/directories I could go to in
> Terminal and what commands to run to move the install file into the
> Fedora23 and run it?

You could help yourself by reading the docs.

The templates are not able to access the internet - this is a security
feature. They can access the upstream proxy and can download software
using that route. You can change this setting, but it introduces risks.

Open Software from Fedora-23 template and search for office. That works
for me.
Alternatively, open a terminal and use fedora tools:
sudo dnf install libreoffice

There is no need to download packages and copy them to the template.
If you DO want to do this then read the docs-
https://www.qubes-os.org/copying-files