How to tell what AppVMs are on the ssd part of my LVM and which are on the regular drive?

Stumpy

Sep 21, 2019, 2:25:41 PM9/21/19
to Qubes users
I did a fresh install on my computer and (am pretty sure) I setup an LVM
(I know I am not using the right termin, sorry) across the SSD drive and
the regular drive. The problem is, my computer is now much slower than
it was when I was running everything off the SSD, which I am pretty sure
is due to the AppVMs and/or templates being on the regular drive (my CPU
and MEM appear to be fine when i try to start up an appvm, yet, it takes
30sec to 1.5 mins to start a appvm up? That cant be right?
I am not sure how to "place" some of my smaller appvms and templates on
the SSD part and the too-big ones on the regular drive part.

awokd

Sep 21, 2019, 2:48:53 PM9/21/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Stumpy:
Did you follow https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/secondary-storage/ to set up
a secondary pool, or did you add your hard drive to the primary Qubes
pool/disk group? If you added the hard drive to existing, I think LVM
defaults to settings them both up as RAID0 (paging @tasket!). If that's
the case, you should probably do a wipe and reinstall.

--
- don't top post
- trim quoted reply to only relevant portions

Stumpy

Sep 22, 2019, 10:54:34 AM9/22/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 2019-09-21 14:48, 'awokd' via qubes-users wrote:
> Stumpy:
>> I did a fresh install on my computer and (am pretty sure) I setup an LVM
>> (I know I am not using the right termin, sorry) across the SSD drive and
>> the regular drive. The problem is, my computer is now much slower than
>> it was when I was running everything off the SSD, which I am pretty sure
>> is due to the AppVMs and/or templates being on the regular drive (my CPU
>> and MEM appear to be fine when i try to start up an appvm, yet, it takes
>> 30sec to 1.5 mins to start a appvm up? That cant be right?
>> I am not sure how to "place" some of my smaller appvms and templates on
>> the SSD part and the too-big ones on the regular drive part.
>>
> Did you follow https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/secondary-storage/ to set up
> a secondary pool, or did you add your hard drive to the primary Qubes
> pool/disk group? If you added the hard drive to existing, I think LVM
> defaults to settings them both up as RAID0 (paging @tasket!). If that's
> the case, you should probably do a wipe and reinstall.

This time i did not go the secondary storage route as I was having a
miserable time trying to get it to work, for whatever reason I seem to
understand diagrams of LVM but when it comes to putting the whole thing
together, esp via terminal, i am not getting it.
So as a result, this time during the install I just selected both
drives... so i guess its in raid0?

So if i should reisntall, then I would need to install onto one drive,
then try to the secondary storage method? Is there a way to use
something like the blivet-gui?

awokd

Sep 22, 2019, 11:18:47 AM9/22/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Stumpy:

> This time i did not go the secondary storage route as I was having a
> miserable time trying to get it to work, for whatever reason I seem to
> understand diagrams of LVM but when it comes to putting the whole thing
> together, esp via terminal, i am not getting it.
> So as a result, this time during the install I just selected both
> drives... so i guess its in raid0?

Run "sudo pvs". If both physical volumes are in the same VG (probably
qubes_dom0), I believe that's the case.

> So if i should reisntall, then I would need to install onto one drive,
> then try to the secondary storage method?

Yes; I am happy to help if you get stuck.

> Is there a way to use
> something like the blivet-gui?

Maybe, but the less unnecessary software installed in dom0, the better...

Stumpy

Sep 23, 2019, 7:24:35 AM9/23/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 2019-09-22 11:18, 'awokd' via qubes-users wrote:
> Stumpy:
>
>> This time i did not go the secondary storage route as I was having a
>> miserable time trying to get it to work, for whatever reason I seem to
>> understand diagrams of LVM but when it comes to putting the whole thing
>> together, esp via terminal, i am not getting it.
>> So as a result, this time during the install I just selected both
>> drives... so i guess its in raid0?
>
> Run "sudo pvs". If both physical volumes are in the same VG (probably
> qubes_dom0), I believe that's the case.
>
>> So if i should reisntall, then I would need to install onto one drive,
>> then try to the secondary storage method?
>
> Yes; I am happy to help if you get stuck.
>
>> Is there a way to use
>> something like the blivet-gui?
>>
> Maybe, but the less unnecessary software installed in dom0, the better...

I was thinking about reinstalling and wanted to ask about restoring
backups and overwiting or something similar templates and pre-existing
appvms? Normally when i restore if i restore something where there is a
template/appvm with the same name it will rename the newly restored
vm/template. Is there a way say like on install to restore all the
templates/appvms i currently have?

awokd

Sep 23, 2019, 12:14:26 PM9/23/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Stumpy:

> I was thinking about reinstalling and wanted to ask about restoring
> backups and overwiting or something similar templates and pre-existing
> appvms? Normally when i restore if i restore something where there is a
> template/appvm with the same name it will rename the newly restored
> vm/template. Is there a way say like on install to restore all the
> templates/appvms i currently have?

Easiest way I found is to rename or delete the existing templates before
a restore, but if you haven't done a bunch of customization you might as
well use the fresh ones instead.