I have a bank vm, how do you restrict

elsieb...@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2017, 3:11:54 AM2/7/17
to qubes-users
I have a bank vm, how do you restrict the browser from being able to go else where? Do you add the iprules in the vm or do you create a proxyvm and add the iprules there?

I've tried both, and created an email vm with iprules "deny everything except"

But then neither vm(s) will connect.

Is there a proper way to do this?

Or will I have to do the tinyproxy thing I've read elsewhere ?

0xDEADBEEF00

Feb 7, 2017, 3:57:44 AM2/7/17
to elsieb...@gmail.com, qubes-users
Hi,
It's my first contribution on this list.

I've tried both solution some time ago and definitly the tinyproxy solution works much better and can handle nicely dns round robin or servers behind load balancers. By the way this solution offer an other nice possibility, you can use regular expressions and for example allow .*\.mycompany\.com$ on the conter-part, you will have to trust the dns resolution.

Best,

0xdeadbeef

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Oleg Artemiev

Feb 7, 2017, 4:47:14 AM2/7/17
to 0xDEADBEEF00, elsieb...@gmail.com, qubes-users
On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 11:57 AM, '0xDEADBEEF00' via qubes-users
<qubes...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>> I have a bank vm, how do you restrict the browser from being able to go else
>> where? Do you add the iprules in the vm or do you create a proxyvm and add
>> the iprules there?
>>
>> I've tried both, and created an email vm with iprules "deny everything
>> except"
>>
>> But then neither vm(s) will connect.
>>
>> Is there a proper way to do this?
>>
>> Or will I have to do the tinyproxy thing I've read elsewhere ?
> I've tried both solution some time ago and definitly the tinyproxy solution
> works much better and can handle nicely dns round robin or servers behind
> load balancers. By the way this solution offer an other nice possibility,
> you can use regular expressions and for example allow .*\.mycompany\.com$ on
> the conter-part, you will have to trust the dns resolution.
Look also for modules like 'request policy' and 'no script' or
'policeman' that implements nice GUI allowing both types in a single
place.

Request policy + 'ask for reload permission' should be enough to
control in a single VM for a few banks in single place.
Not that secure as proxying and denying in some other VM, but easy +
GUI controls + require some configuration work at start.

--
Bye.Olli.
gpg --search-keys grey_olli , use key w/ fingerprint below:

Andrew David Wong

Feb 7, 2017, 6:07:10 AM2/7/17
to elsieb...@gmail.com, qubes-users

elsieb...@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2017, 2:16:26 PM2/7/17
to qubes-users, elsieb...@gmail.com
Don't know what I did exactly, but both vm(s) (email and banking) are now working. Which didn't make sense why neither would connect.

In the end, I made two proxyvm(s) where I "denied all but..." and added the domains as they didn't connect until they did.

My original problem was, after getting the banking vm working, I started working on the email vm, then neither would connect. That's what didn't make sense. If both vms were not connected to each other, then how could one stop the other from connecting?

Well, they both work now...

Chris Laprise

Feb 8, 2017, 9:38:52 AM2/8/17
to Oleg Artemiev, 0xDEADBEEF00, elsieb...@gmail.com, qubes-users
On 02/07/2017 04:47 AM, Oleg Artemiev wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 11:57 AM, '0xDEADBEEF00' via qubes-users
> <qubes...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>>> I have a bank vm, how do you restrict the browser from being able to go else
>>> where? Do you add the iprules in the vm or do you create a proxyvm and add
>>> the iprules there?
>>>
>>> I've tried both, and created an email vm with iprules "deny everything
>>> except"
>>>
>>> But then neither vm(s) will connect.
>>>
>>> Is there a proper way to do this?
>>>
>>> Or will I have to do the tinyproxy thing I've read elsewhere ?
>> I've tried both solution some time ago and definitly the tinyproxy solution
>> works much better and can handle nicely dns round robin or servers behind
>> load balancers. By the way this solution offer an other nice possibility,
>> you can use regular expressions and for example allow .*\.mycompany\.com$ on
>> the conter-part, you will have to trust the dns resolution.
> Look also for modules like 'request policy' and 'no script' or
> 'policeman' that implements nice GUI allowing both types in a single
> place.
>
> Request policy + 'ask for reload permission' should be enough to
> control in a single VM for a few banks in single place.
> Not that secure as proxying and denying in some other VM, but easy +
> GUI controls + require some configuration work at start.

Good recommendations. I'll add one to that list: HttpsEverywhere.

It will keep you from accidentally accessing pages in unencrypted form.
You can also set it to allow only https (although some banks may use a
mix of https and http).

Chris

Oleg Artemiev

Feb 10, 2017, 6:35:24 PM2/10/17
to Chris Laprise, 0xDEADBEEF00, Elsie Buck, qubes-users
look also for uMatrix, Privacy Badger, force cache loading, For
banking use of policeman and https everywhere should be enough. Though
other firefox modules are also good.

Oleg Artemiev

Feb 10, 2017, 6:40:30 PM2/10/17
On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 2:35 AM, Oleg Artemiev <grey...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Look also for modules like 'request policy' and 'no script' or
>>> 'policeman' that implements nice GUI allowing both types in a single
>>> place.
>>> Request policy + 'ask for reload permission' should be enough to
>>> control in a single VM for a few banks in single place.
>>> Not that secure as proxying and denying in some other VM, but easy +
>>> GUI controls + require some configuration work at start.
>> Good recommendations. I'll add one to that list: HttpsEverywhere.
>> It will keep you from accidentally accessing pages in unencrypted form. You
>> can also set it to allow only https (although some banks may use a mix of
>> https and http).
> look also for uMatrix, Privacy Badger, force cache loading, For
> banking use of policeman and https everywhere should be enough. Though
> other firefox modules are also good.
forgot to mention uBlock Origin .

elsieb...@gmail.com

Feb 11, 2017, 6:04:14 PM2/11/17
to qubes-users, elsieb...@gmail.com
Well I hate to beat a dead horse...

Nether vm(s) will connect without refreshing several multiple times. This isn't acceptable. I prefer dnsmasq rather than some firefox addon. Actually, I'm pretty sure dnsmasq won't do in this case. Some other solution...

elsieb...@gmail.com

Feb 11, 2017, 8:21:50 PM2/11/17
to qubes-users, elsieb...@gmail.com
I tried tinyproxy, I'm fairly certain proxies in general willNOT work with https.
Am I right about this? Or have I not done something right?

Andrew David Wong

Feb 11, 2017, 9:08:56 PM2/11/17
to elsieb...@gmail.com, qubes-users

elsieb...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2017, 12:46:21 AM2/12/17
On Saturday, February 11, 2017 at 9:08:56 PM UTC-5, Andrew David Wong wrote:

> You should try to the method I described here:
>
> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/qubes-users/fSiFkQeoqGE/discussion

The difference being instead of google.com use 74.125.192.113, 74.125.192.100, 74.125.192.102, 74.125.192.138 etc?

And instead of accounts.google.com use 172.217.5.237?

Andrew David Wong

Feb 12, 2017, 3:01:23 AM2/12/17
to elsieb...@gmail.com, qubes-users

elsieb...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2017, 12:55:25 PM2/12/17
On Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 3:01:23 AM UTC-5, Andrew David Wong wrote:

> No. I explain the procedure in the first post of that thread.
> Please try reading it again.

Done, works exactly as advertised ! And both vm(s) actually work !

Thank you!