Qubes 3.2rc1 questions and some issues

Eva Star

Jun 24, 2016, 8:25:54 AM6/24/16
to qubes-users
It's awesome! Now, it's work on my hardware. Thanks Marek and other Developers!

Issues:
1) I can not increase mouse scroll amount of lines (and mouse speed). I set up maximum value of 12 lines and it does not help...

2) scroll at new KDE5 "start" meny works also very bad :(

3) When windows 7 starts and work with installeted Qubes Tools -- whole system freeze from time to time :( Especially on high resolution.

Questions:

1) Is it possible to add links of every VM that show at "start" menu also to Qubes Manager at the right click menu as sub-menu of some parameter?
Right click on VM -> Menu -> Select "Apps" -> and get list of all applications and possibility to start them from there?

2) I have standart sound card with 3 ports Line in, Line Out, Mic. I connect to Line out my speakers and to Line In my headphones! How exactly I can setup playing sound to line in and line out at the same time? I try to use pulseaudio/pactl, but "Line Out" is on "source_output", not at "inputs". How to do that exactly? Please, help. My card support this, because on windows this work fine.
I thied do add null_sink than two loopbacks... But I can not connect "line in" as output source.

Thanks

Andrew David Wong

Jun 24, 2016, 8:52:59 PM6/24/16
to Eva Star, qubes-users

On 2016-06-24 05:25, Eva Star wrote:
> It's awesome! Now, it's work on my hardware. Thanks Marek and other
> Developers!
>
> Issues: 1) I can not increase mouse scroll amount of lines (and
> mouse speed). I set up maximum value of 12 lines and it does not
> help...

Could this be an incompatibility issue between your mouse and Linux or
KDE? (If so, I'm afraid there is probably not much Qubes can do about
this.)

> 2) scroll at new KDE5 "start" meny works also very bad :(

Can you be more specific?

> 3) When windows 7 starts and work with installeted Qubes Tools --
> whole system freeze from time to time :( Especially on high
> resolution.

Thanks for the report. Sounds like it could be related to this (in
which case, we're working on it):

> Questions:
>
> 1) Is it possible to add links of every VM that show at "start"
> menu also to Qubes Manager at the right click menu as sub-menu of
> some parameter? Right click on VM -> Menu -> Select "Apps" -> and
> get list of all applications and possibility to start them from
> there?

It is not currently possible to do this, but thank you for the
suggestion. Noted here:

https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1870#issuecomment-
228497127

> 2) I have standart sound card with 3 ports Line in, Line Out, Mic.
> I connect to Line out my speakers and to Line In my headphones! How
> exactly I can setup playing sound to line in and line out at the
> same time? I try to use pulseaudio/pactl, but "Line Out" is on
> "source_output", not at "inputs". How to do that exactly? Please,
> help. My card support this, because on windows this work fine. I
> thied do add null_sink than two loopbacks... But I can not connect
> "line in" as output source.
>
> Thanks

Small suggestion: check your settings in Kmix and try different
configurations there.

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org

Drew White

Jun 25, 2016, 2:36:23 AM6/25/16
to qubes-users, evado...@gmail.com
On Saturday, 25 June 2016 10:52:59 UTC+10, Andrew David Wong wrote:
Could this be an incompatibility issue between your mouse and Linux or
KDE? (If so, I'm afraid there is probably not much Qubes can do about
this.)

Without knowing what mouse it is, knowing how it reports the number of lines to scroll to the pc is unknown.
Some are intelligent and tell it to scroll X amount, no matter what the PC says, and has special software to edit the settings within the mouse itself.
Normal mice trigger and tell the pc that it has. Then the pc decides what to do.
Investigate what sort of mouse it is and in what way it does this.

> 3) When windows 7 starts and work with installeted Qubes Tools --
> whole system freeze from time to time :( Especially on high
> resolution.

Thanks for the report. Sounds like it could be related to this (in
which case, we're working on it):

I have windows working on very high resolutions, but when you have a large resolution for multi-monitor, there is an issue, UNLESS you start the PC and then the Guests while running only 1 monitor, after that, if one is lucky one can increase the screen realestate by another monitor or 3, and still have it working. But if you boot and start it all with a large resolution/multi-monitor, then the GUI Agent has a "hissy fit" and doesn't say anything about it.
This was the issue in version 2 of Qubes, and it carried over to version 3.0 and 3.1.

> Questions:
>
> 1) Is it possible to add links of every VM that show at "start"
> menu also to Qubes Manager at the right click menu as sub-menu of
> some parameter? Right click on VM -> Menu -> Select "Apps" -> and
> get list of all applications and possibility to start them from
> there?

It is not currently possible to do this, but thank you for the
suggestion. Noted here:

https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1870#issuecomment-
228497127

Eva Star

Jun 25, 2016, 4:21:51 AM6/25/16
to qubes-users, evado...@gmail.com
Thanks for your answer. First of all, about Windows:
1) There is a bug when Qubes Network Tool cant configure network automatically. It report that some method from IP Helper Service does not work. I tried 3 different Windows7 ISOs and found that it's happens on very old iso (very old Windows 7 without updates and SP1 integrated)
2) I found that my Windows works very bad and freeze when it's have default configuration with 2 cores. When I decrease it to only one core, it works much better.
3) On Windows (with Qubes Tools) at "Device Manager" I have one device without properly driver (with orange "!" notify on icon). Is it normal? If need specific name I will add it later. Now, I'm on other computer :(

About New Qubes "start" menu UX related to previous KDE4 menu:
1) As I remember, previous menu it does not request additional "click" to open VMs group (where links of vm apps)
2) Old menu come WITHOUT **** scroll. I need each time to scroll down to find virtual machine, than click on the group to get links of apps! It's very uncomfortable. Especially on high resolution when I have above free space to open menu without scroll and show full list above the current end of menu. Can it be solved? As minimum, how can I increase the size of menu to make it "tall".
3) New menu "lose focus" and closed automatically when some other app starts and open new window on the background. I lose time to open menu, scroll down to required  vm group, then I'm ready to move my cursor and click on app to start it, but menu can unexpectedly close!! And I need to do all steps again.

Could this be an incompatibility issue between your mouse and Linux or
KDE? (If so, I'm afraid there is probably not much Qubes can do about
this.)

Yes, it perhaps. Windows automatically install some driver to it and keep some *.exe always working on the background.

Small suggestion: check your settings in Kmix and try different
configurations there.
I will try again, but as I remember I'm already do that and it does not help :( Can you set up output to line in/mic port as additional line out with Kmix on your system?

Thanks

Eva Star

Jun 25, 2016, 4:24:13 AM6/25/16
to qubes-users
And as I can expect "Windows HVMs with Qubes tools" does not support "memory balancing"?

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jun 25, 2016, 7:29:23 AM6/25/16
to Eva Star, qubes-users

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jun 25, 2016, 7:29:56 AM6/25/16
to Eva Star, qubes-users

Eva Star

Jun 28, 2016, 11:08:27 PM6/28/16
to qubes-users, evado...@gmail.com
Thanks, it's better :) After reading https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2119 Joanna post I switched to xfce and it's solve all my problems with full screen video playback, start menu, virtual desctops etc. etc. :)