Q4rc3 debian-9 template fails to update.

haaber

Dec 16, 2017, 4:21:32 AM12/16/17
to qubes-users
I freshly installed debian-9 ; when installing packages, apt-get hangs
for days(!) with

81% [waiting for headers] ...
followed by Err:XX Connection failed.

Has someone an idea where to look / how to procede? (there is definitely
no other apt* running ). Thank you, Bernhard

Yuraeitha

Dec 16, 2017, 5:17:12 AM12/16/17
to qubes-users

You might already tried some of these, or maybe it won't be helpful, but either way, here is some suggestions to start with.

1) It's probably not this simple to fix, but then again it's a quick and cheap trial and error test to check and be sure. Try clean old update data. "sudo apt-get clean" in the debian-9 terminal. I'm not sure how to clean old data in dom0 or the sys-firewall, or wherever Qubes 4 new update mechanism keeps its downloaded packages before sending them to the "offline" updating template in question. But perhaps this is something to look further into, atm I don't have too much time to do so. If it keeps hanging on the same %, then perhaps this is a possible suspect, and maybe a cleanup fixes it.

2) Does restarting all of Qubes, and immediately update debian-9 after full startup, make any difference? I.e. I've experienced issues on longer running Qubes 4 my self, but mostly my issues are triggered by suspend/hibernate or if HDMI plugged TV-screen goes to sleep mode on its own (even if laptop screen is not sleeping). It triggers various of weird system issues, I'm suspecting it's driver-module/kernel related, but I'm not really all that sure. A full system restart however, makes everything work fully again. Perhaps you experience something similar, yet different at the same time. Either way, quick way to find out whether a full restart works or not.

3) How about "sudo journalctl --boot" in dom0 and AppVM terminal alike, same time, after you did both a system restart and then following also encounter the update bug. Doing it after a system restart cleans the log and make it easier to read. Aka, easier to scroll down to the last lines that matter, and doing it right after you encounter the issue, makes it a possibility to spot some errors in the log, around the end of it. (I'm sure there are smarter ways to navigate these long scrolling, but none that I'm aware of). Doing this both in the AppVM and dom0, same time, and look for something that looks out of the ordinary. Also executing both commands same time, before looking into the logs details, makes it a bit easier, so you don't have to mess with time-log comparisons.

I know these are relative simple approaches, but I can't think of anything deeper atm. If above suggestions are to no prevail, then maybe someone more knowledgeable will drop by with better suggestions.

Chris Laprise

Dec 16, 2017, 5:51:30 AM12/16/17
to haaber, qubes-users
I just updated a freshly-installed debian-9 on 4.0rc3 two days ago
without connection errors.

The difference may be that I have been updating my dom0 with
--enablerepo=qubes*testing, and a template having connection errors
suggests a problem with dom0/xen or with whatever is running sys-net.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket

Yuraeitha

Dec 16, 2017, 7:49:49 AM12/16/17
to qubes-users

True, I also use current-testing on my Qubes RC-2, fully updated, which has debian-9, and do not experience these update issues either. If only using regular updates, perhaps the issue is indeed fixed in the current-testing releases.

Might want to backup first though, just in case current-testing gives rise to other more serious problems.

It really does sound like the new backup method for templates yeah, so it's probably revolving around python code and packages related to the admin mechanic, type of updates?

haaber

Dec 16, 2017, 8:49:19 AM12/16/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
>> I freshly installed debian-9 ; when installing packages, apt-get hangs
>> for days(!) with
>>
>> 81% [waiting for headers] ...
>> followed by Err:XX Connection failed.
>>

> 2) Does restarting all of Qubes, and immediately update debian-9 after full startup, make any difference? I.e. I've experienced issues on longer running Qubes 4 my self, but mostly my issues are triggered by suspend/hibernate or if HDMI plugged TV-screen goes to sleep mode on its own (even if laptop screen is not sleeping). It triggers various of weird system issues, I'm suspecting it's driver-module/kernel related, but I'm not really all that sure. A full system restart however, makes everything work fully again. Perhaps you experience something similar, yet different at the same time. Either way, quick way to find out whether a full restart works or not.

YES! So I guess things are linked to hilbernation problems when I close
the lid. Is there another cure than full reboot? Bernhard

Yuraeitha

Dec 16, 2017, 4:29:44 PM12/16/17
to qubes-users

Yuraeitha

Dec 16, 2017, 5:10:41 PM12/16/17
to qubes-users

aha, this should narrow it down to possible suspects indeed.

Just to be sure, there might still be a possibility that the restart fixed another issue, of an origin we didn't speculate about. Was it a single case issue the restart fixed? Or do you encounter repeatedly issues after hibernation which are fixed with restarts? Just to verify, so we don't jump to conclusions too fast.

I'm guessing your issue is pretty much similar to my own, except we experience somewhat different symptoms, originating from the same cause - hibernate/suspend. You can see my github issue rapport here from a few weeks back (I haven't had the time to keep the rapport updated due to emerging deadlines hunting me down, but I plan to return to it eventually. Also it was different back then, the issue I rapported back then has changed somewhat (slightly) between that date and today. I plan to update there soon as well);
Feel free to add your own experiences of the issue if you think it has similar root causes. The symptoms might be different, but the cause/trigger appears to the similar.

Possibly it's the admin mechanism that breaks down? I experience issues in the domU windows, like the Qubes coloured panels, or Qubes widgets, general graphical freezes, or entire forced restarts during suspend because it doesn't suspend while in my bag but stays awake when it's supposed to be suspending, etc. Perhaps, your issue is similar, but you get networking issues instead, i.e. when updating.

So all this might be somehow related to the admin mechanism, I'm speculating now though, but it seems like a good place to start given the clues so far seems indirectly to point towards it.

You can throw a link there back to this thread on github, if you find it useful to do so, if you decide to make a post on the github thread. If you don't plan to post on github, do you mind if I link to this thread instead for extra references? Once I get around to it of course. I think it's a good idea to show more people have this issue (assuming it indeed has a shared trigger/cause), perhaps it can provide extra clues of the overall bug.

The problem right now though, is to narrow it down more precisely, so the exact issue can be found.

Also, something that changed in recent updates (I'm sitting on current-testing updates), is that it now appears to be enough to only restart all network based VM's (non network based VM's are fine and don't need restart). Basically, sys-net and sys-firewall are messed up. This makes it easier, as it no longer requires a full system restart. Is this the same for you too?

Bernhard

Dec 18, 2017, 3:30:14 AM12/18/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I am not on github, but feel free to link our discussion there.

I confirm that strange things happen after (too many?) hilbernations.
One amazing behaviour is that I cannot start new applications neither
from qubes menu nor the dom0 terminal. A command like "qvm-run work
xterm" will just come back to command line without anything happening.
This is non-working behaviour persists when AppVMs (but not the
qubes-system) are rebooted. On the other hand side, running apps inside
an AppVM work normally, and if I happen to hold a terminal open in each
appvm I can launch new processes easily. This suggests that the problem
sits really in the "qubes part".     Bernhard

PS: For those that might want to join our discussion: Q4rc3, updated
with --enablerepo=qubes*testing.

Chris Laprise

Dec 18, 2017, 9:58:54 AM12/18/17
to Yuraeitha, qubes-users
On 12/16/2017 07:49 AM, Yuraeitha wrote:
> On Saturday, December 16, 2017 at 10:51:30 AM UTC, Chris Laprise wrote:
>> On 12/16/2017 04:21 AM, haaber wrote:
>>> I freshly installed debian-9 ; when installing packages, apt-get hangs
>>> for days(!) with
>>>
>>> 81% [waiting for headers] ...
>>> followed by Err:XX Connection failed.
>>>
>>> Has someone an idea where to look / how to procede? (there is definitely
>>> no other apt* running ). Thank you, Bernhard
>>
>> I just updated a freshly-installed debian-9 on 4.0rc3 two days ago
>> without connection errors.
>>
>> The difference may be that I have been updating my dom0 with
>> --enablerepo=qubes*testing, and a template having connection errors
>> suggests a problem with dom0/xen or with whatever is running sys-net.

Now I'm experiencing this with fedora-26 updates.

David Hobach

Dec 18, 2017, 1:35:11 PM12/18/17
to Chris Laprise, Yuraeitha, qubes-users

On 12/18/2017 03:58 PM, Chris Laprise wrote:
> On 12/16/2017 07:49 AM, Yuraeitha wrote:

>>> I just updated a freshly-installed debian-9 on 4.0rc3 two days ago
>>> without connection errors.
>>>
>>> The difference may be that I have been updating my dom0 with
>>> --enablerepo=qubes*testing, and a template having connection errors
>>> suggests a problem with dom0/xen or with whatever is running sys-net.
>>>

> Now I'm experiencing this with fedora-26 updates.

Yes, I know that issue for quite some time as well on debian-8 (I had
done a testing upgrade there some time ago as well). Disabling the Qubes
proxy & allowing a direct connection fixes it for me, but of course that
shouldn't become a permanent solution.

Bernhard

Dec 19, 2017, 3:27:20 AM12/19/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I don't like direct connection. I am more and more convinced that
hilbernate/suspend is the origin of these problems. I tried out a full
reboot of all net-related qubes (sys-net, sys-firewall, sys-whonix) ,
and that indeed solves the pb.  I now look, as a better workaround, for
a dom0-script that: on running qubes saves the NetVM setting, then sets
NetVM to none, then reboots these 3 bad guys, and finally restores old
NetVM's. How could this be done?  Bernhard