Why won't Google Chrome remember my Google logins?

Clark Venable

Sep 24, 2016, 4:02:30 PM9/24/16
to qubes-users
I've managed to install Google Chrome in my 'personal' domain (not the template). I can log into my google account(s), but once I stop and restart the Chrome app in the personal domain I am asked to log into Google again. I was under the impression that only disposable VM's would discard all session data. How can I get Chrome to remember my login so I can access Gmail with Chrome without logging in each time?

Clark

Chris Laprise

Sep 24, 2016, 4:17:04 PM9/24/16
to Clark Venable, qubes-users
On 09/24/2016 04:02 PM, Clark Venable wrote:
> I've managed to install Google Chrome in my 'personal' domain (not the template). I can log into my google account(s), but once I stop and restart the Chrome app in the personal domain I am asked to log into Google again. I was under the impression that only disposable VM's would discard all session data. How can I get Chrome to remember my login so I can access Gmail with Chrome without logging in each time?
>
> Clark

Are you also stopping then starting the vm that's running Chrome? If
Chrome is forgetting without stopping/starting the vm, that sounds like
a Chrome bug.

If the problem hinges on stopping/starting, then Chrome may be storing
session data in a nonstandard location (instead of /home/user) such as
/var. When you are running Chrome, look in /var/lib to see if Chrome is
writing files there.

Chris
Message has been deleted

Clark Venable

Sep 24, 2016, 4:37:57 PM9/24/16
to qubes-users, jcl...@gmail.com, tas...@openmailbox.org
It looks like Chrome is saving to:

/home/user/.config/google-chrome/Default

Could it be that each new VM instance appears to be a different computer, therefore prompting confirmation of credentials?

Chris Laprise

Sep 24, 2016, 6:42:36 PM9/24/16
to Clark Venable, qubes-users
That looks normal. So there must be another reason.

Chris

Franck Ridel

Sep 25, 2016, 12:31:12 AM9/25/16
to Chris Laprise, Clark Venable, qubes-users
Can you check content settings ? I guess Cookies is set on "Keep local data only until you quit your browser"

Clark Venable

Sep 25, 2016, 8:42:08 AM9/25/16
to qubes-users, tas...@openmailbox.org, jcl...@gmail.com
Nope. Allow local data to be set is enabled.

Clark Venable

Sep 25, 2016, 10:33:35 AM9/25/16
On Sunday, September 25, 2016 at 8:42:08 AM UTC-4, Clark Venable wrote:
> Nope. Allow local data to be set is enabled.

It all works as I expect in Firefox, So I'm happy to leave this alone and just use Firefox rather than Chrome (which is probably what the devlopers intended by including Firefox in the distro. :-)

Mathew Evans

Sep 26, 2016, 9:01:35 AM9/26/16
to qubes-users, tas...@openmailbox.org, jcl...@gmail.com

I can confirm i had the same issue with Chrome. There is somthing funky going on between seahorse and chrome and how in the AppVMs details are stored. As long as you do not restart the AppVM you can close and reopen chrome as many times as you want and it will work fine, even with disable background processes. when you restart the AppVM the info in seahorse seams to expire instantly.

Clark Venable

Sep 26, 2016, 5:43:52 PM9/26/16
to qubes-users, tas...@openmailbox.org, jcl...@gmail.com
Thanks for the confirmation, Mat. I was just chalking it up to not having done something right. As I indicated, Firefox works as I expect, so I've just switched to that as my main browser.

Clark

chk...@gmail.com

Sep 26, 2016, 11:52:49 PM9/26/16
to qubes-users