Hardware problems after using Qubes 3.2

evo

Feb 17, 2017, 5:19:38 AM2/17/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi everybody!

I have the very strange problem after using qubes.
It's hard to describe.

My Laptop (Thinkpad T520 4243) is now a bit louder and by going on
buttons, links and everything that has to do with grafics (plaing
videos, loading software or website) makes noise that is similar to the
noise of HDD while it works (i have SSDs). Just strange cracking. Not
very loud, but still good to hear.

For the first i thought it was just a malfunction of the laptop and i
send it back. But now i have a new one and become just the same problem.

I think it has something to do with the virtualization.
But i have no idea how can virtualization crash something in that way.

Cubes was running on SSD in the optical bay.

So as it seems, i crashed with qubes the second laptop and i don't know,
what should i tell the seller now.

Do somebody have an idea?

thanks!

Chris Laprise

Feb 17, 2017, 11:13:37 AM2/17/17
to evo, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Look up "laptop coil whine". The sound is usually accompanied by a
"chattering" or "clicking" as the power supplied to different components
is modulated. I believe systems made between 2007 and 2010 were
especially prone to this effect.

Virtualization can affect the power consumption patterns on the
motherboard, perhaps making the effect more noticeable.

Chris

Chris Laprise

Feb 17, 2017, 6:32:48 PM2/17/17
to evo, qubes-users
On 02/17/2017 04:06 PM, evo wrote:
> so i disable VT-d and Virtualization in BIOS, restarted the laptop in
> Debian Linux... no changes... the strange noise was still there.
> then i pluged in my laptop and "oh wonder" the noise was away.
>
> so the thing is in the VT-d and Virtualization of the Thinkpad T520.
>
> now i am in qubes... but how can qubes work with disabled virtualization
> and VT-d in BIOS??
>
> the noise is ok so far... i hear it but it is very quiet

It does sound like coil whine... When you plugged your laptop in, it
changed the power usage profile of the motherboard. VT-d could be a
factor, but the real culprit is components that are falling out of spec.

A common trigger of coil whine for older laptops was USB power saving. I
wouldn't be surprised if the noise changed on your system by assigning
(or un-assigning) USB controllers to sys-usb, for example (this is also
related to VT-d). You may also be able to reduce the noise by changing
USB power-saving parameters in sys-usb.

Chris

raah...@gmail.com

Feb 20, 2017, 8:24:28 PM2/20/17
to qubes-users

could be anything. I have a pc makes strange morse code beep-like sounds when cpu is in low frequency, like when idle. could be a fan, could be something on mobo. make sure all ur caps are ok on the mobo, (not bent or ready to pop) if so most likely safe to ignore. I've ignored it for 7 years.

In ur case its the extra frequencies needed for graphics and virtualization processing that seem to be causing it which is more common.

What do u mean by qubes is crashing. do u get anerror message?

raah...@gmail.com

Feb 20, 2017, 8:25:56 PM2/20/17
to qubes-users, raah...@gmail.com

try diff power settings on the mobo.