VA-API in AppVM

Sebastian Jug

Sep 14, 2016, 1:42:26 PM9/14/16
to qubes-users
Hey guys,

A big problem for me with Qubes is being able to do random mundane tasks like watching YouTube videos. Is it possible to get video acceleration working in appvm specifically VA-API?

I know the 3d acceleration is not possible unless it's in a HVM but this may be more straightforward?

Thanks.

Andrew David Wong

Sep 15, 2016, 4:34:37 AM9/15/16
to Sebastian Jug, qubes-users

Sebastian Jug

Sep 19, 2016, 10:16:02 PM9/19/16
to Andrew David Wong, qubes-users
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the response.
I can watch youtube a variety of different ways with different codecs and decoders, however, they all use a ton of CPU usage at 720p or greater.
VAAPI is hardware decoding acceleration for Intel, so that way it uses 1-3% CPU vs 30-80%.
I realize that 3d acceleration is not an option, but is VAAPI possible?

Andrew David Wong

Sep 20, 2016, 8:28:09 AM9/20/16

On 2016-09-19 19:15, Sebastian Jug wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> Thanks for the response.
> I can watch youtube a variety of different ways with different codecs and
> decoders, however, they all use a ton of CPU usage at 720p or greater.
> VAAPI is hardware decoding acceleration for Intel, so that way it uses 1-3%
> CPU vs 30-80%.
> I realize that 3d acceleration is not an option, but is VAAPI possible?

Not sure about VAAPI, but I haven't noticed the kind of CPU usage
you're describing. Have you made sure to disable hardware acceleration
in your browser's settings?

P.S. - Please try to avoid top-posting.

> Can you be more specific about the problem you're currently
> encountering? A lot of people here watch YouTube videos in
> AppVMs without any problem (myself included).

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org