Why it's so big secret?

nezn...@xy9ce.tk

Oct 11, 2016, 4:28:28 PM10/11/16
to qubes-users
I see very detailed instructions in the Docs about HVM, Templates and other. But instructions about the proprietary driver Nvidia and bumblebee looks like a some secret. This problem have status "open" from R2 version. And i killed many weeks to solve this. Still i have just Qubes with nouveau in the blacklist. I need to work, but i'm reading many forums and manuals about bumblebee, Nvidia drivers, fedora, gpg cheking, adding repos, x.11, x.conf and other and other and other. Things which in i'm not the professional. I'm professional in the my job, not in the Qubes. Everywhere this manuals have difference for different version of Linux. On the Qubes do this all is even more harder. Many people have optimus and still i'm not see the simple detailed "How to". I wanna work, and cant!
Can somebody tell me what i need to do? I installed Qubes, and adding nouveau in the blacklist, what next? What first, what second? And HOW?
1. Add repos of rpmfusion and repos of bumblebee? How can i do this?
2. Install the propritary driver Nvidia? How?
3. Install bumblebee without gpg-cheking? How? With gpg-cheking? How do this?

If this instructions is simple, then what the problem to write it? If it hard, then why the community can't write it and help to all "lucky" users of optimus? Why it's so big secret?

Drew White

Oct 11, 2016, 8:15:58 PM10/11/16
to qubes-users, nezn...@xy9ce.tk

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/install-nvidia-driver/
These instructions work. I used the Manual Installation back in the day. These days I just use Nouveau because there is no need to install propriety drivers since version 3.1. Since in 3.2 they fixed the display issue that was happening when they upgraded the GUI. (even though upgrading the gui in a bad way in my opinion).
There is no big secret, it's on their website.
Installing bumblebee, well, just add the repo and do the install, simple.
http://bumblebee-project.org/install.html

Message has been deleted

nezn...@xy9ce.tk

Oct 11, 2016, 9:50:23 PM10/11/16
to qubes-users, nezn...@xy9ce.tk
i readed that proprietary driver better than free driver. Because with free driver you'll get hot laptop and because free driver can't adjust rotate of the fan and etc..
How i can add the repo? Can you write me? Because i'm not sure. And about gpg-keys.. Did you something with it? maybe you use --nogpgcheck or something?

Drew White

Oct 12, 2016, 1:20:31 AM10/12/16
to qubes-users, nezn...@xy9ce.tk
On Wednesday, 12 October 2016 12:50:23 UTC+11, nezn...@xy9ce.tk wrote:
> i readed that proprietary driver better than free driver. Because with free driver you'll get hot laptop and because free driver can't adjust rotate of the fan and etc..
> How i can add the repo? Can you write me? Because i'm not sure. And about gpg-keys.. Did you something with it? maybe you use --nogpgcheck or something?

It's not ALWAYS the case.
Sometimes the free drivers don't have bugs and the propriety do.
You can not be sure unless you go through the source code and check it yourself and then compile it from that source code yourself for installation.

All I did was follow the instructions on the page(s).
Read the instructions on those pages carefully.

nezn...@xy9ce.tk

Oct 12, 2016, 1:23:56 PM10/12/16
to qubes-users, nezn...@xy9ce.tk
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/install-nvidia-driver/:
"You will need any Fedora 18 system to download and build packages. You can use Qubes AppVM for it, but it isn’t necessary."

i'm going here https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/templates/fedora-minimal/ and try create the template:

sudo qubes-template-fedora-23-minimal

but with 18 instead 23.
"command no found." the end =/

Drew White

Oct 12, 2016, 8:27:14 PM10/12/16
to qubes-users, nezn...@xy9ce.tk
Command not found because that isn't a command.
Are you trying to install the template?
If so... run, as root,

qubes-dom0-udpate --enablerepo=qubes*templates fedora-23-minimal

Maybe just install Fedora 18.
Then set up the Repos.
Then build the drivers.
That's what I did.

"any Fedora 18 system"
I had a fedora 18 system that I used at the time, I still have it around here somewhere, even still have the Live DVD's too.
It worked fine.

nezn...@xy9ce.tk

Oct 12, 2016, 10:12:20 PM10/12/16
to qubes-users, nezn...@xy9ce.tk

> Then set up the Repos.
Pls tell me how you did it?

Drew White

Oct 12, 2016, 10:23:25 PM10/12/16
to qubes-users, nezn...@xy9ce.tk
On Thursday, 13 October 2016 13:12:20 UTC+11, nezn...@xy9ce.tk wrote:
> > Then set up the Repos.
> Pls tell me how you did it?

Since 18 repos aren't around on the live server any more, you need to find the archive link from fedora.
Since I'm not at home I don't have it right infront of me at the moment.
If you haven't found them by the time I get home I'll get the repos links and post them up.

But it's the same way as any other repos, so it's not hard to set up, just hard to find them since they moved them to archive/storage.

raah...@gmail.com

Oct 12, 2016, 10:44:06 PM10/12/16
to qubes-users, nezn...@xy9ce.tk
On Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at 9:50:23 PM UTC-4, nezn...@xy9ce.tk wrote:
> i readed that proprietary driver better than free driver. Because with free driver you'll get hot laptop and because free driver can't adjust rotate of the fan and etc..
> How i can add the repo? Can you write me? Because i'm not sure. And about gpg-keys.. Did you something with it? maybe you use --nogpgcheck or something?

I find I only need proprietary drivers for gaming, to play like cs:go or dota2 on steam on linux. But other then that nvidia open source drivers are great on linux desktop with my gtx 650. in fact with the newer KDE I found extremely buggy with the opengl set(screen flickers, artifacts), but found open source to work perfectly and cooler then the proprietary ones. Same issue with ubuntus unity. I would assume its the same for all linux environments now. Also linux compared to my windows has always run cooler. If you have a really new graphics driver you might have problems. But if its already a year or two old man, you probably don't need to worry about it.

raah...@gmail.com

Oct 12, 2016, 10:45:05 PM10/12/16
to qubes-users, nezn...@xy9ce.tk, raah...@gmail.com

I mean if you have a very new *Card you might have problems. but otherwise it should run fine.

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)

Oct 14, 2016, 10:10:54 PM10/14/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 10/13/2016 02:12 AM, nezn...@xy9ce.tk wrote:
>> Then set up the Repos.
> Pls tell me how you did it?

Usually you can do this with a chrooted yum. Mock is the right tool to
use.

--
Rudd-O
http://rudd-o.com/

nezn...@xy9ce.tk

Oct 21, 2016, 12:46:21 PM10/21/16
to qubes-users
Well.. I found my old pc, i found fedora18. I installed it. Then step when i need to install kernel-devel ("matching with qubes kernel") doesnt work. Because fedora have no devel-kernels with "qubes" or "pvops" in the name. There is no kernels even with "4.1.13-9". So i dont know how it can "matching". Then i just entered line "...install kernel-devel kmdtool..". And you know, kmdtool was not installed. There was something like ".. kmdtool not avialable" and "nothing to do". Something like that.. And i think maybe i should try to do the "manual install". Ok! I downloaded NVIDIA-<bla-bla-bla>.run file from nvidia.com at the new pc. Then copy it to dom0. Then i long time think why step with "./NVIDIA..." not work? 3 hours in the google, then "chmod a+x NVIDIA..run" and it began install - ez. But.. It stuck! 1 hour and i understand why: 0 free space memory on the ssd. Wow.. When i installing the qubes - i did it as ussally. Strange.. But ok. I begin searching info about lvm.. Well, that thing to hard for me. And i think - maybe i should try to do the backup VMs and quickly reinstall qubes? And i attached internal hdd, but it has non-english name and backup was failed. I found another one device and backuped all VMs and fedora23-template. 4 or 5 times i reinstalled qubes. And now i have the qubes again. This time with KDE and not xfce. I restored VMs (except fedora-template, because cant delete it from qubes manager). As ussally i wrote my MAC for DHCP in the "cloned mac" string, but this time the net doesnt work. I dont know why. I re-pluged the cable. I tryed to see net-settings in the KDE-menu, but qubes ask me the root password, which i skipped when was installing. Ipconfig - command not found. Ifconfig - command not found. Hwaddress - command not found. I feel i can break my laptop soon =\
I hope you understand my english, i write from mobile, without even the google-translate.
Message has been deleted

nezn...@xy9ce.tk

Oct 23, 2016, 10:34:04 PM10/23/16
to qubes-users, nezn...@xy9ce.tk
i reinstalled Qubes again. This time the network works! (When i disabled "whonix" option in the process of instalation - the Qubes has wrong MAC - like FE:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF - and thats why cloned MAC doesnt worked)
So.. Now i installed NVIDIA.run driver as it recomended in "Manual installation -> Userspace components"(https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/install-nvidia-driver/)
Next step (excerption):
"Kernel module

You will need:

nvidia kernel module sources (left from previous step)
kernel-devel package installed
gcc, make, etc"

Hmmmm... "nvidia kernel module sources (left from previous step)" - is it means that i need fedora18 anyway? (I thought "Manual installation" is alternative of something building.. i.e. i need build something anyway, ok). But this step have no sense:
"Build kernel package
You will need at least kernel-devel (matching your Qubes dom0 kernel)".
Because Qubes dom0 kernel have another versions: 4.1.24-10.pvops.qubes.x86_64. RPMfusion have some packages with words "pvops" and "qubes"? I think no.

"The only package you have to compile is the kernel module (but there is a ready built src.rpm package)." Where????

Fuck.. I so tired from this shit((( All instructions is "advice, advice, advice" instead of full series of "command, command, command"

raah...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2016, 11:08:19 PM10/23/16
to qubes-users, nezn...@xy9ce.tk

lol typical linux stuff lol. so you are saying your graphics card doesn't work with the default open source driver? dam that sucks. what if you just disable one of the gpu's in the bios?

nezn...@xy9ce.tk

Oct 23, 2016, 11:34:42 PM10/23/16
to qubes-users, nezn...@xy9ce.tk, raah...@gmail.com
> lol typical linux stuff lol. so you are saying your graphics card doesn't work with the default open source driver? dam that sucks. what if you just disable one of the gpu's in the bios?

There is a 3 things:
1. Nvidia created automatic(!) technology and name it - Optimus. There is no the opportunity to disable it.
2. Torvald showed finger to Nvidia. And Nvidia did not pay much attention to the drivers for Linux.
3. MSI created laptop (which i bought) with stupid bios, which have no function "disable integrated devices". I cant disable GPU or camera or something else.

Funny, right?

raah...@gmail.com

Oct 24, 2016, 11:02:04 AM10/24/16
to qubes-users, nezn...@xy9ce.tk, raah...@gmail.com

oh wow never seen a bios like that, dam. I use nvidia, but I'm on a desktop using a 650 ti which is well tested with linux. Might get better help with bumblebee on fedora forums for your system. I have no experience with it, but Bumblee issues are one of the most common problems in linux help channels.