How to build Qubes with patches from Xen ?

Zophikel

Mar 25, 2021, 8:18:01 PM3/25/21
to qubes-users

Yesterday I filed an issue regarding hardware support for my HPZ800 and Nehalem era cpu’s I was wondering how to build a custom qubes image/iso where the following xenpatch is included ?

Josef Johansson

Apr 1, 2021, 3:39:32 PM4/1/21
to qubes-users
Hi,

You should take my words with a grain of salt since I'm doing this the first time around. But anyhow.

Go to https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/qubes-iso-building/ and make sure you have a Fedora  VM to download everything to, and plenty of space.

Download a builder.conf file from https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-release-configs/blob/master/R4.0/qubes-os-iso-full-online.conf (or 4.1 if that's the version you are building)

In that file, add vmm-xen under COMPONENTS

run
make remount
make install-deps
make get-sources

Now, go into qubes-src/vmm-xen and add you patch as a file.
Enter xen.spec.in and add your patch-file under upstreamable, you'll notice the pattern.

( At this point you have rpm-files inside chroot-* in qubes-builder that you actually could install in dom0 instead of building a full ISO. )

run
make iso

please note that it will take a while.