Clearing qubes-dom0-cached packages

m.3.7.31.127...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2016, 5:08:05 PM2/12/16
to qubes-users
I accidentally ran qubes-dom0-update qubes*testing and qubes downloaded testing packages. I didn't install them, and I don't want to. However, the packages are still cached and I have no way to update qubes now without installing the testing packages.

How can I clear the package cache?

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Feb 12, 2016, 6:16:49 PM2/12/16
to m.3.7.31.127...@gmail.com, qubes-users

m.3.7.31.127...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2016, 6:34:50 PM2/12/16
to qubes-users
I tried this, but the packages were not cleared

Chris Laprise

Feb 12, 2016, 7:58:44 PM2/12/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
I have the same problem.

Chris

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Feb 12, 2016, 8:33:20 PM2/12/16
to Chris Laprise, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Alex Dubois

Feb 27, 2018, 10:34:00 AM2/27/18
to qubes-users
On Friday, 12 February 2016 22:08:05 UTC, m.3.7.31.127...@gmail.com wrote:
> I accidentally ran qubes-dom0-update qubes*testing and qubes downloaded testing packages. I didn't install them, and I don't want to. However, the packages are still cached and I have no way to update qubes now without installing the testing packages.
>
> How can I clear the package cache?

Hi,

I had the exact problem in this thread. I wanted to check if my qubes-dom0-update was broken or not. so enabled testing, which downloaded packages, I let it finished but then did not install.

Searched the past threads and found this one.

Applied the --clean option
Which seem to have done some things as I had now 5 packages that it wanted to install.
Which seems to confirm that qubes-dom0-update was stuck, also I am not sure (or maybe these 5 packages were release during my experiment on the current repo).

Is there a way in github to see the list of packages and the associated commits for each repo?

Alex Dubois

Feb 27, 2018, 10:45:45 AM2/27/18
to qubes-users

Sorry it was 8 packages.

I have cleared both rpm and repodata, and with the clean option was offered to install these 8 packages. which I did.

Yuraeitha

Feb 27, 2018, 11:13:43 AM2/27/18
to qubes-users

Have you cleaned your templates too to keep them up-to-date and in sync with dom0?

Alex Dubois

Feb 27, 2018, 11:28:01 AM2/27/18
to qubes-users

Good heads-up. Just did, and there was also 25 packages (6 of which on qubes-vm-r4.0-current).

I am not going to speculate at this point if Qubes OS team released some updates this afternoon or not.

Yuraeitha

Feb 27, 2018, 12:00:55 PM2/27/18
to qubes-users

Good you got it in sync :)

I'm working on an update script btw, which might solve issues like these. But while the script works pretty smoothly (by all looks of it, it works in, at least in controlled conditions), I still need to sort out reliability questions and redundancy mechanics, as well as appeal and looks. Also need critical eyes to spot dangerous dragons in the script (mistakes that I made). It's kind of a simple script though, but I'm not an expert, so who knows if I messed something up. If these remaining issues can be worked out, then I'll share it on my github page. I also got exams irl atm though, so I might not work so fast on this, plus my lack of scripting skills slows me down too. Hopefully it will work though, my goal is to make updating possible for people who have no background in Linux/Qubes, like for example to the QubesTV project I'm trying to get going.

awokd

Feb 27, 2018, 12:08:57 PM2/27/18
to Yuraeitha, qubes-users
On Tue, February 27, 2018 5:00 pm, Yuraeitha wrote:

> I'm working on an update script btw, which might solve issues like these.

I haven't tested it but I noticed there's a clean action, so you can do:

sudo qubes-dom0-update --action=clean

Not exactly sure what it does but it might simplify things if it works.

Yuraeitha

Feb 27, 2018, 12:42:32 PM2/27/18
to qubes-users

Yes that is a good trick, but Marek recently told me not to use it though, from what I understand it's because it causes extra load on the server, which is bad if too many people does it. So the clean command is probably really good if only used sparingly once in a while. But maybe it could be used in the script with some kind of countdown, like for example if it only cleans once a month? But would that be useful though?

I didn't mention or show the script to Marek, as it was only a few days afterwords I started working on it. But he did tell me to use --refresh instead when he saw I used the clean command. I found the --refresh flag in fedora template, but I couldn't get it to work in dom0. Though I found --check-only in the qubes-dom0-update manual, presumably it's the same as --refresh and only updates the metadata? Seemingly debian does it all automatically already too. uh, too many questions that needs sorted out. I definitely need these sorted out with a degree of certainty before I give this script to other people, I don't want to risk messing someone elses Qubes system up with it, that would suck.

So maybe clean is not needed if metadata are cleaned? I believe the clean command works very well indeed, but from what I understood from Marek at the time, it might overdo it.

I'll see if I can upload the script when I get home later today so you can see it (I'm on the road atm), I'll post a link here so it's easier to discuss any potential pitfalls in it.

Chris Laprise

Feb 27, 2018, 1:42:54 PM2/27/18
to Yuraeitha, qubes-users
FWIW, I'm working on porting my updater to 4.0. The existing version
already uses "clean packages" and I may add --refresh (which has worked
for me) as well.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket

Yuraeitha

Feb 28, 2018, 10:57:29 AM2/28/18
to qubes-users

Neat! It's good to have better solutions around :)

I just checked yours out by following your github link. Your Qubes updater is much more advanced than mine, I won't even pretend I can fully read it. My script is essentially just a compile of binary commands, so yours is definitely superior.

Since I promised to upload it, I will still do so, though it's now probably better suited for learning/educational purposes instead, now when there are better options available :) https://github.com/Aekez/scripting-qubes/blob/master/check-Qubes-updates-by-metadata.sh

As noted before, despite that the script works, it's still experimental/unfinished/untested.