NVIDIA GeForce

Thomas Ernst

Sep 9, 2016, 4:58:51 AM9/9/16
to qubes-users
Hi all,

Does Qubes support NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards? The reason for asking is that I am planing to buy a Lenovo ThinkPad T460p Laptop, which has a NVIDIA GeForce 940MX 2 GB graphics card.

Best,

Thomas

Andrew David Wong

Sep 9, 2016, 3:50:30 PM9/9/16
to Thomas Ernst, qubes-users

Drew White

Sep 11, 2016, 11:11:28 PM9/11/16
to qubes-users

I have a GeForce GTX630 and a Quadro 600 in my machine, and both work well with no issues.

The Thinkpads work well with Qubes.
the T530 is very nice and works well.
So the Pro T460 should also be quite acceptable.

As long as you have 4 or more threads, you can use qubes easily.

raah...@gmail.com

Sep 20, 2016, 10:57:01 AM9/20/16
to qubes-users

I have gtx 650 ti. works great. I would research how the card perform with open source linux drivers in general before buying.

johny...@sigaint.org

Sep 20, 2016, 12:25:15 PM9/20/16
to qubes-users
I have a GeForce6100SM-M2. It's on-board nVidia card crashes (diagonal
stripes) after a bit of usage (almost seems to happen when memory gets
low).

I've tried all the BIOS settings, etc., with no luck. (The same thing
occurs under Tails, FYI.)

With a PCI GeForce7300 GT inserted (and the on-board video disabled),
things work just fine.

(Note that in 3.1, and 3.2 up until rc2? I think, there was a bug where
the VM's would get screen corruption. rc2 and beyond have fixed this
problem.)

Cheers.

JJ

Drew White

Sep 20, 2016, 8:25:26 PM9/20/16
to qubes-users, johny...@sigaint.org

I only got screen corruption AFTER upgrading to 3.2, then I did a full update of Dom0 to get rid of that because there was a fix that came out for it.
However it didn't happen often. I never found out the reason why it happened, because I saw there was a fix for it.
3.1 didn't EVER have the screen corruption for me.
And I was using Dual Monitors and dual Quadro600's

johny...@sigaint.org

Sep 21, 2016, 3:21:40 AM9/21/16
to Drew White, qubes-users, johny...@sigaint.org
The screen corruption problem I was seeing was in 3.2 (rc1 I think), and
the fix was in the VM's (Debian-8/Redhat-23) not dom0. (It was something
to do with accessing freed/reallocated memory once swapping started, if I
remember correctly.)

JJ

Drew White

Sep 21, 2016, 9:27:37 PM9/21/16
to qubes-users, drew....@gmail.com, johny...@sigaint.org
On Wednesday, 21 September 2016 17:21:40 UTC+10, johny...@sigaint.org wrote:
> The screen corruption problem I was seeing was in 3.2 (rc1 I think), and
> the fix was in the VM's (Debian-8/Redhat-23) not dom0. (It was something
> to do with accessing freed/reallocated memory once swapping started, if I
> remember correctly.)
>
> JJ

I had the issue in Fedora 23, 22, 21.
Thing is, mine didn't have any swapping.
I had RAM, no swap space/partition on the drive (that's how I re partitioned it)

I have enough RAM that I just allocate full RAM, no swapping needed and no balancing. It just uses the RAM it's been assigned.

My guests either run 256MB, 1024MB, 2048MB, 4096MB RAM. Depending on what they are used for and the actual O/S they have.

So if it was the swap, then I should not have been affected. If it wasn't, then that's why it affected me too. :}