qubes installation problem on MS-16R3

Radu

Jun 21, 2020, 5:19:30 PM6/21/20
to qubes-users
Hi

I'm having this installation issue when trying to Install Qubes on a MSI Laptop

qubes_error.png
How should I find out how to continue the installation (if there is any chance) ?
I'm an average Linux user - I can follow instructions but do not understand advanced issues
Thank you !

Jarrah

Jun 22, 2020, 3:05:23 AM6/22/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
> I'm having this installation issue when trying to Install Qubes on a MSI
> Laptop
Can we get a little more info on the laptop? CPU, GPU, etc.
> [image: qubes_error.png]
> How should I find out how to continue the installation (if there is any
> chance) ?

Could you provide output of `dmesg` in a terminal while installing?
(ctl-alt-f2 for TTY2) Also have a look at the logs in `/tmp/` and
`/var/log/`, specifically the Xorg logs.

If you need to get a file off, the installer will detect and allow you
to mount another USB drive to copy them to.

Radu

Jun 26, 2020, 5:50:05 PM6/26/20
to qubes-users
Hi

Thank you for your reply

The laptop is a MS-16R3 model from MSI
CPU : Intel i7-9750H @ 2.60 GHz
6 Cores / 12 Threads
Processor Stepping : 0x906EA
RAM 16 GB DDR4
Wifi : Intel Wireless-AC 9560

Here is the output from dmesg : https://pastebin.com/9fmRMRJc

Here are the logs :
- packaging.log and sensitive-info.log are empty

As for BIOS settings, I've seen advice here on disabling ACPI.
Looking in the BIOS, under the Advances tab, there is an option called "C states", that is enabled; it enables/disables CPU Power Management, allowing the CU to go to C states when it's not 100% utilized.  Disabling it doesn't change anything for me.

Thanks for any help or advice

Best regards,
Radu