Chromium asking about choosing password for new keyring?

gaikokuji...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2016, 6:02:43 PM10/14/16
to qubes-users
I made a appvm (fedora 23) just for chromium and started it up and then started Chromium and another windows came up saying:

"Choose password for new keyring
An application wants to create a new keyring called 'Default keyring'. Choose the password you want to use for it."

What exactly is it asking for? a password for the browser itself? For a site (didn't seem like a site) or is it related to the appvm? I wanted to ask before creating something I didn't entirely understand.

raah...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2016, 7:29:57 PM10/14/16
to qubes-users, gaikokuji...@gmail.com

I think chrome wants to use the linux gnome-keyring. If you leave it blank and just hit continue it won't ask again.

David Hobach

Oct 15, 2016, 1:33:04 PM10/15/16
to raah...@gmail.com, qubes-users, gaikokuji...@gmail.com
Exyctly, the window is coming from gnome-keyring. And it comes back, at
least it did for me... Easiest way to disable it is to rename the
gnome-keyring daemon in your template VM to some different name - as
long as you don't need it elsewhere. Uninstalling gnome-keyring is
unfortunately not easily possible due to some dumb dependency (also
discussed elsewhere @qubes-users).