How to launch qubes AppVM without qubes os?

Arqwer

Feb 19, 2017, 5:07:25 AM2/19/17
to qubes-users
I have all files from one of my standalone Qubes 3.0 AppVM. There are some programs that I can't manage to run in my current Linux setup, but they were running fine in that Qubes AppVM. So I want to use that AppVM under ordinary Linux. How can I do that?

Arqwer

Feb 19, 2017, 5:10:48 AM2/19/17
to qubes-users
*By all files I mean those that were in /var/lib/qubes/appvms/

Oleg Artemiev

Feb 19, 2017, 5:56:23 AM2/19/17
to Arqwer, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 1:10 PM, Arqwer <rashc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *By all files I mean those that were in /var/lib/qubes/appvms/
you will be able to run that programs seamless only by using same
Linux distro that was used as a template VM for your appVM.
Also you will need all dependent package to be present in your current linux.
mount appvm private image, tar /home/user , untar to some new user
home dir in your Linux, then try to login as that user and run those
programs from console.
If lucky - them start seamless. If not (most probably) you 'll have
some erors in console about missing libraries and so on,
Sure there could be other problems, but if you're lucky you'll be able
to add dependencies.

--
Bye.Olli.
gpg --search-keys grey_olli , use key w/ fingerprint below:

Unman

Feb 20, 2017, 11:36:09 AM2/20/17
to Oleg Artemiev, Arqwer, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 01:56:20PM +0300, Oleg Artemiev wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 1:10 PM, Arqwer <rashc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > *By all files I mean those that were in /var/lib/qubes/appvms/
> you will be able to run that programs seamless only by using same
> Linux distro that was used as a template VM for your appVM.
> Also you will need all dependent package to be present in your current linux.
> mount appvm private image, tar /home/user , untar to some new user
> home dir in your Linux, then try to login as that user and run those
> programs from console.
> If lucky - them start seamless. If not (most probably) you 'll have
> some erors in console about missing libraries and so on,
> Sure there could be other problems, but if you're lucky you'll be able
> to add dependencies.
>

> --
> Bye.Olli.

An alternative approach would be to take the root.img and private.img
files to the new computer, and try to chroot into root.img.
This would have the advantage that you need not reinstall all the
applications that you had before.
mount root.img somewhere, e.g /mnt
Then 'mount -t proc proc /mnt/proc'
'mount --rbind /sys /mnt/sys'
'mount --rbind /dev /mnt/dev'

Then try chroot /mnt and see if you can run your programs.
If you need graphics then you may need to run xhost to allow connections
to the X server, and configure the display in the chroot.

If you had files in /home in the qube, then you could mount private.img
somewhere and bind mount that in to the chroot /home before chrooting in.

unman