How can I put the installer on a new partition with win10 to install Qubes on an USB stick?

crane...@gmail.com

Dec 10, 2016, 1:20:22 PM12/10/16
to qubes-users
How can I put the installer on a new partition with win10 to install Qubes on an USB stick?

I believe I can install to the USB, but I have no cdrom. The only option is to run the installer from a bootable partiton on a windows10 hd.

I originally intalled Qubes from the installer from USB on a second hd. I loved it.

The problem was, when the wife wanted to use her laptap, she wanted windows 10. Then I had to put her hd back in. It would be easier for me, if I could just put qubes on an usb stick and run from there.

I could do usb external hd or usb stick. I get/understand the security warnings. But I like Qubes. I show it off to every one who will look.

It would be nice to just clone Qubes from the #2 hd to usb, but all the pointers would point back to the hd.

I considered installing Qubes to a partition on the same hd with windows but I've read all the warnings and agree dual booting might not be such a good idea. Yeah, that scares me.

Rufus sounded good except it only shows the USB.

Reg Tiangha

Dec 10, 2016, 1:35:11 PM12/10/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 12/10/2016 11:20 AM,
Well, if that laptop has at least two USB ports and you've got one USB
flash drive and an external USB hard drive, what you could do is use
Windows to copy the installer to the flash drive using Rufus or
UNetBootIn or something similar, then boot to the flash drive and then
install Qubes not onto the laptop hard drive, but onto the external hard
drive instead. I don't know where it'll end up installing grub, but if
it doesn't do it to the laptop hard drive, then you can just use the
BIOS menu to boot off of the external HD. I think that might work.

crane...@gmail.com

Dec 10, 2016, 3:33:42 PM12/10/16
to qubes-users, r...@reginaldtiangha.com
On Saturday, December 10, 2016 at 1:35:11 PM UTC-5, Reg Tiangha wrote:

> Well, if that laptop has at least two USB ports...

Hadn't tried that... Thanks

crane...@gmail.com

Dec 10, 2016, 4:07:57 PM12/10/16
to qubes-users, r...@reginaldtiangha.com, crane...@gmail.com

What's up with the installer? The usb hd isn't even an option, just the hd...

What would happen if I pulled the hd, leaving only the usb hd? Oh, that doesn't work either... just says there's no media to install to... anyone with any other options?

Reg Tiangha

Dec 10, 2016, 4:11:15 PM12/10/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 12/10/2016 02:07 PM,
Hmm...can that external hard drive be placed inside the laptop? If so,
maybe remove the Windows drive, install the other hard drive, install
Qubes to that and then take it out and use the BIOS to boot to it.

But if memory serves, I think you said that you already installed Qubes
to a different hard drive? If you put that drive in an external
enclosure, can you boot to it using the BIOS menu? If so, then problem
solved.

crane...@gmail.com

Dec 10, 2016, 5:38:40 PM12/10/16
On Saturday, December 10, 2016 at 4:11:15 PM UTC-5, Reg Tiangha wrote: ...

> Hmm...can that external hard drive be placed inside the laptop? If so,
> maybe remove the Windows drive, install the other hard drive, install
> Qubes to that and then take it out and use the BIOS to boot to it.
>
> But if memory serves, I think you said that you already installed Qubes
> to a different hard drive? If you put that drive in an external
> enclosure, can you boot to it using the BIOS menu? If so, then problem
> solved.

yeah, tried that. The pointers go to internal hd... for the pointers to be correct, I'd have to install to the external hd. There are security implications, which I get/understand. None the less, I like Qubes and want to run it... I just don't want to have to swap hd(s) every time...