HCL - HP ProBook 6565b

tsde...@gmail.com

Jan 14, 2018, 12:15:20 AM1/14/18
to qubes-users
Type - Notebook
HVM - Yes
IOMMU - No
SLAT - Yes
TPM - Yes, present but untested
Brand - HP
Model - ProBook 6565b
BIOS - Tried 68LTU Ver F.22 and F.64
CPU - AMD A4-3310MX
GPU - AMD Radeon HD 6480G
Network - Qualcomm Atheros AR9000 Series
Memory - 8GB
Qubes 3.2 - No
Qubes 4.0-rc3 - No

Qubes 3.2 hangs on initial setup. Reboot causes loss of touchpad functionality.
Qubes 4.0-rc3 Start failed: internal error: libxenlight failed to create new domain "sys-net"

Unable to complete qubes-hcl-report due to errors upon initial setup. Tried BIOS updates. Tried manual BIOS config changes using HP BIOS Configuration Utility.

-Thaddeus Delude

tsde...@gmail.com

Feb 14, 2018, 6:23:05 AM2/14/18
to qubes-users

I noticed this hasn't appeared on the HCL list yet. Is there anything left to submit or test for this model to be put on the list? I'll be returning this model to work soon. I've already had it for a month for testing this project.

I wouldn't recommend using this model if you want it to work out of the box. I've tried quite a few other business class models. (five models to be exact) This is the only one I've had trouble with that wasn't already listed as having issues.

I tried everything I could think of with BIOS/EFI to get IOMMU to work, including HP's manual CLI BIOS config utility. It appears the CPU should support IOMMU but the motherboard does not.

Qubes 3.2 hangs on initial setup for some reason. It wasn't any of the BIOS options. I most of them one at a time. (WiFi Switch, graphics options, Virtualization, Directed I/O, disabling devices, etc) I didn't investigate it much further than that. I'm guessing it was likely driver issues. It appears most people use Intel systems, so maybe it's an issues specific to some AMD processor families? The specific GPU in this model is integrated with the CPU. Qubes 4.0-rc3 also has errors along with a lack of IOMMU support.

tsde...@gmail.com

Feb 14, 2018, 6:46:48 AM2/14/18
to qubes-users
I think this model can be safely marked as not supporting IOMMU and thus a No for Qubes 4.0, if that is indeed a hard requirement for 4.x.

I'm not sure if there should be more Qubes 3.2 testing.

tsde...@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2018, 1:57:36 AM2/15/18
to qubes-users
Tried Qubes 4.0-rc4
VM's won't boot, likely due to lack of IOMMU. I could not change the Kernel or VT mode to PV from the GUI. I didn't try via terminal.

=================

Qubes Release 4.0 (R4.0)

Brand: Hewlett-Packard
Model: HP ProBook 6565b
BIOS: 68LTU Ver. F.22

Xen: 4.8.3
Kernel: 4.14.13-2

RAM: 7648 Mb

CPU: AMD A4-3310MX APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
Chipset: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 12h Processor Root Complex [1022:1705]
Net: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)
Broadcom Limited BCM43224 802.11a/b/g/n (rev 01)
SCSI: WDC WD2500BEKT-6 Rev: 1A01

HVM: Active
I/O MMU: Not Active
HAP/SLAT: Yes
TPM: Device present
Remapping: no

Start Failed: intenal error: libxenlight failed to create new domain 'sys-net'

Chris Laprise

Feb 28, 2018, 10:19:58 PM2/28/18
to tsde...@gmail.com, qubes-users
This model has been added to the HCL as not working per your suggestion.
Thanks for your effort in trying this out!

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket